[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Jonny Way

Jonny Way MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2013
    Sounds like your using HDMI and audio reciver, if so go to the following:

Rough Memory:
    Settings
    Navigation Sounds
    Turn them OFF

If they are on the HDMI video and navigations sounds fight over exclusive access to the audio. Even if there is no navigation sounds it will stutter and crash.

Hope this helps.

2. Jonny Way

Jonny Way MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2013
    Hi this happened for years on Windows 8 its a HDCP handshake problem, nothing in this development will help this issue.

I have the same problem, we just have to deal with it. =(

3. Miamijerry

Miamijerry MDL Junior Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Old trick, which might still work. You could use the decoder tool and change one of the decoders to FFDShow, either audio or video, then during playback, there will be a tray icon which will show all the filters being used to build the playback graph.

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #984 T-S, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Adjust your MCL config files this way

My Channel Logos.exe.config

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?><configuration>
      <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
        <supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/>
      </startup>

<runtime>
        <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
            <dependentAssembly>
                <assemblyIdentity name="mcepg" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral"/>
                <bindingRedirect oldVersion="6.1.0.0" newVersion="6.3.0.0"/>
            </dependentAssembly>
            <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="mcstore" publicKeyToken="31BF3856AD364E35" culture="neutral"/>
        </dependentAssembly>
        </assemblyBinding>
      </runtime>
    </configuration>

and

mclupdater.exe.config

Code:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <configuration>
      <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
        <supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/>
      </startup>

<runtime>
        <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="mcepg" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral"/>
          </dependentAssembly>
            <dependentAssembly>
                    <assemblyIdentity name="mcstore" publicKeyToken="31BF3856AD364E35" culture="neutral"/>
                </dependentAssembly>
            </assemblyBinding>
      </runtime>
    </configuration>

Use 6.3.0.0 for b9600 or 10.0.0.0 for build 10xxx

5. Paul1965

Paul1965 MDL Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Wow, I am really confused. Last night after installing V1 I had a working Guide. I set up MC to record one 30 minute show, and while it recorded it, it started late instead of 2 minutes early and ended up being only 18 minutes long. So I decided to uninstall V1 and install V2. Tried that 3 times and every time I got the message that the Guide wouldn't be downloaded due to previous errors. I tried rolling back to V1 twice, same thing. Now I've tried V3 and still get that message. I've made sure all references to eHome have been removed. What else can I do?

6. carola

carola MDL Junior Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Hi,
    I have installed wmc on my Windows 10 . I put the directory fr-FR in ehome. But my wmc is again in english not french...
    Someone could help me please ?
    Regards

:confused:

7. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    System restore is probably the best recovery method

8. Paul1965

Paul1965 MDL Member

Dec 3, 2013
    That will be my next option. I do now have the update icon in the taskbar after a right click and Run as Admin so will see what happens...

9. dejong12

dejong12 MDL Member

Jan 4, 2009
    I've also got some problems with recordings not starting on time and stopping early. I suspect this has something to do with WMC/Windows not scheduling recordings correctly (this would also explain the wake timer problem).

10. dejong12

dejong12 MDL Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Those language packs are outdated, they won't work on the latest versions released yesterday, because they are for the Windows 10 versions of WMC and not 8.1. I'm in the process of grabbing the language packs for the 8.1 version. ;)

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    You need the MUIs from a W8.1 iso or language pack.

The ones provided with the build 10134 are from W10.

12. cue1boy

cue1boy MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2011
    #992 cue1boy, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Excellent , Thank you, works perfect.

13. fabrylama

fabrylama MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2015
    Hi, thank you for the help, but I'm not using hdmi. I should have given more info about my configuration.
    My display is connected through dvi and the speakers are connected with the analog output.

Am I the only one with this problem? (loss of audio after a few seconds of fast forward)

14. Rhema

Rhema MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
    I seem to also be having some trouble.

Using Windows 10 Pro (Version 10.0.10240)

I had a previous version of WMC I tried to install but could not get it working, so used the uninstaller and got rid of it. Now trying "WindowsMediaCenter_6.3.9600.0_x64_v3.zip".

I made sure to delete ehome in: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ehome
    I also forcefully deleted: C:\Windows\ehome
    Ran an Administrator Command Prompt and did an: ipconfig /flushdns
    Restarted computer

Now to install V3!
    I extracted “WindowsMediaCenter_6.3.9600.0_x64_v3.zip” into a folder and placed straight in my C: Drive.
    Then right clicked on "_TestRights.cmd" and chose Run as Administrator. It quickly opened a command prompt, did something, closed it, opened another one and just shows C:Windows>
    I assume that means I’m good to go to the next step. Closed that Command Prompt.
    I right click on "Installer.cmd" and chose Run as Administrator. It looks like it installed and says Done. To press any key to exit which I do.
    Now to start up media Center….
    It starts up and gives me the Welcome to Windows Media Center. I press the Continue Button at the bottom.
    I choose Custom under the Get Started.
    Brings up Windows Media Center Setup. I click Next.
    I click on No thank you to Help Improve Windows Media Center and then click Next.
    I click on No under Get the Most from Windows Media Center and click Next.
    Required Components Have Been Set Up window comes up. I click Next.
    Optional Setup Comes up.
    I click on first option to Setup TV Signal and Guide.
    TV setup selects my Region as United States. I select Yes, use this region to configure TV services.
    Next Window asks for my Zip Code. I put it in and click next.
    I agree to Program Guide Terms of Service and click Next.
    I click on Yes under Update TV Setup Data to download new data now. Then click next.
    Downloading TV Setup Data window opens.
    “DOWNLOAD FAILURE. The new TV setup data could not be downloaded. The existing data, if available will be used as your continue through TV signal setup.” I click on OK.
    Downloadable Guide Not Available window. “Downloadable TV Program Guide listings are not available due to previous downloading failures. For more information, right-click the Windows Media Center system tray icon and open Windows Media Center Update Log. Select Back to try again.
    You may be able to get the listings from the TV broadcast if available”. I click Next
    Examining TV Signals window pops up. I have an ATI TV tuner card installed and it was working perfectly in Windows 8.1 to watch OTA TV. It takes a few minutes, but the progress bar continuously keeps filling up and eventually it finishes and takes me to next screen.
    TV Signal Detection Result. It detects my Digital Antenna and I click on Yes, configure TV with these results. Then click on Next.
    TV Signal Configuration window pops up and I click on Next. It’s asking me to confirm to use my Digital Antenna tuner.
    TV Channel Scan window pops up. Starts scanning channels. It successfully scans 172 channels. I click Next.
    TV Signal Setup Finished window pops up. I click on Finish.
    I click finish wizard.

I click on Guide and No data available for any channels. When I click on a channel to view, I get:

“Decoder Error
    The video decoder is not working, is not installed, or is not supported. Try installing the codec or restarting your computer. For more information about codecs, see Windows Help.”

So no working guide and Decoder Error problems. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

15. Rhema

Rhema MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
    Awesome, I've spent hours trying to figure it out and did not think it would be that simple. I am now able to watch TV, thanks! Now to figure out how to get the Guide to work...

So any idea on making Guide work? Should I try to edit hosts file?

Thanks again.

16. Klownicle

Klownicle MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    You shouldn't need a key if your Windows is activated. Mine was telling me my Key was invalid till I activated windows...

But perhaps this has something to do with "upgrades" to Windows 10? Instead of clean installs.

17. Paul1965

Paul1965 MDL Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Nothing has worked. Tried several times to uninstall then reinstall, even went thru the registry and searched for and deleted every reference to WMC and EPG I could find. Rebooted and tried V3 again, same message that it can't download due to previous errors. I just don't get why it worked yesterday and now it won't.

18. mondajas

mondajas MDL Novice

May 4, 2008
    #1000 mondajas, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015

Replace ehres.dll (wmc 8.1) with ehres.dll (wmc 10 tp), and you can use the local languages of wmc 10... on wmc 8.1. You need to keep the original en-US (wmc 8.1), if you delete this, the receiver can not search any channel.