[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Blue-Screen

Blue-Screen MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2020
    Works perfect!
    Clean 2004 Installation with MSSQLLite Patch

Thanks for your hard work guys! :)

2. ChrisJohn

ChrisJohn MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2015
    I am probably doing something wrong but for the first time I have failed to get WMC to run on a new build of Windows 10. I have just installed 2004 (Build 19041.264) and failed to install WMC successfully using your WMC-V13_X64 files. I was under the impression that this included all the "add-ons" necessary in respect of DLLs etc. Am I wrong in this assumption and I should run the various tools separately? It may be because I am getting an access denied message. Do I need to change permissions for the Program data folder first?
    Below is my installation report after running _TestRights.cmd successfully. When I use the toolkit to check the DLL versions is see they are still 19041.

"Detected Windows build: 19041
    Copying files...
    Creating hard links
    Setting attributes...
    Access denied - C:\ProgramData
    Installing assemblies...
    Creating services...
    [SC] CreateService SUCCESS

Updating registry settings...
    Creating scheduled tasks...
    Setting access permissions...
    Enabling the stock MPEG2 Codecs trough the DVD Player app...
    The DVDplayer app is already installed, skipping installation
    Done.
    Press any key to exit."

3. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    I don't understand why you are getting Access Denied - I've never seen that error. The only thing I can think of is this: did you wait for Windows to finish installing all the things it likes to install and restart the PC before trying to install WMC?

I installed the latest 64 bit version of WMC V13 on 2004 yesterday without any problem.

The add-ons are scripts that need to be run after the installation. The function of each script is described in 'known issues.txt'.

I didn't build the workarounds into the installer because not everyone needs or wants them.

4. ChrisJohn

ChrisJohn MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2015
    Many thanks for your quick response. I had let Windows finish installing everything to the extent of checking Windows Update again at the end and then rebooting a couple for times for good measure. I have now tried again and still got the access error but carried on anyway. I then ran the dll and SQL fixes and was delighted to find the WMC was back working as well as ever. It found my Blackgold Twin DVB2 Tuners and scanned 164 channels so all is well. WMC lives to fight another day!
    Many thanks for all your hard work and advice,

5. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9985 technodevotee, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    That's great.

I'm going to have to check out that error though - it is very strange.

edit:

Still no error for me on 2004.

Anyone else seen this access denied on install please?

6. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9986 technodevotee, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    WMC won't start on Windows 10 V2004 build 19640.mn_release.200530-1731.

Error 1000 in event log
    Code:
    Faulting application name: ehshell.exe, version: 6.3.9600.16384, time stamp: 0x5215efc2
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19640.1, time stamp: 0xb106ec11
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x000000000002361c
    Faulting process ID: 0x1950
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d63a8d79626529
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehshell.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report ID: 3ded6a66-4a23-410d-a787-23723f72d08b
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 
    and
    Error 1026 in event log
    Code:
    Application: ehshell.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
       at MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.SqlLiteErr.LogAndThrowException(Int32, System.String, System.Object[])
       at MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.ObjectStore.Open(System.String)
       at MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.ObjectStoreManager.Open(System.String, Boolean)
       at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.Open(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.Reflection.Assembly, Boolean)

Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
       at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.Open(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.Reflection.Assembly, Boolean)
       at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.Open(System.String, System.String, System.String, Boolean)
       at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.AddObjectStoreReference()
       at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.get_DefaultSingleton()
       at ServiceBus.UIFramework.UserControlPoint.Launch(System.String)

This is one of my test bed PCs on the insider fast ring. WMC was working fine yesterday on whatever build I had and today, after I got this one, I removed WMC, rebooted and reinstalled WMC. Reapplied all my workarounds and rebooted and now WMC doesn't work.

There are a load of errors about ESENT as well, which I hadn't seen until this afternoon.

Anyone else got the same thing or did the upgrade fritz my PC?

7. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9987 technodevotee, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    rolled system back to
    Untitled.png
    and it is working again.

I'll try upgrading a fresh install tomorrow.

edit:
    looks like a one off as it is OK now and other people are reporting that it works as well

nah. It was a typo in my roll back dlls utility.:mad:

I've uploaded a fixed version

8. Blue-Screen

Blue-Screen MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2020
    No Problem here since last sunday!

9. Fudsey

Fudsey MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2015
    I need to update my Win 10 Pro to a more current version but I am unsure if I should to continue using WMC with a cablecard tuner. I read the 1st post again about the lack of a work around for cablecard tuners since the W10 Anniversary update back in 2016.

Is this still true?

I need to update my .net and cannot do it or add any windows apps because I am running Win ver. 1511 (build 10586.104)

Is there a way to update using cablecard tuner or am I just out of luck?

10. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Unfortunately, Microsoft changed the DRM mechanism in Windows 10 after the version you have and protected channels no longer work on cable cards. As far as I know, there's nothing that can be done to get round the issue and I'm not sure there ever will be.

I'm beginning to think the same thing applies to extenders.

11. Sammy2

Sammy2 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2019
    What about non-DRM content with HDHomeRun Prime CableCARD tuners? Does that work in Windows 10 WMC? I just updated to Windows 10 and am trying to figure this out and 500 pages of comments is TL/DR! LOL

12. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    This is outside the scope of my knowledge really but I think the answer is - it depends.

I believe that some people have HDHomeRun working in MWC on later versions (although not the cable card functioning). But it seems very hit and miss and is something to do with .NET and driver versions I think.

There has been some discussion of The Green Button as well. More reading I'm afraid.

13. Sammy2

Sammy2 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2019
    If the CableCARD isn't working then they only receive ClearQAM I believe. Those channels are in the "Basic Cable" package and do not include much more than local OTA channels. Bummer!

14. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Well, as I said, the DRM mechanism was changed and I think there's virtually no chance that anyone could work round it as it would require proprietary information the companies aren't going to give up because they would lose their revenue stream.

I'm quite prepared for someone to correct me as this isn't something I know much (anything, really) about because we don't use the system here.

15. Sammy2

Sammy2 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2019
    I'm not so worried about the DRM part of the CableCARD. A LOT of my content is in the clear, not copy protected with DRM, but is encrypted and the CableCARD needs to decrypt it. It is this content that I'm interested in.

16. perso22

perso22 MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2020
    Works fine on fresh install windows 10 2004 french
    with mssqllite patch.
    So happy, thank you so much!

17. Trench

Trench MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2015
    The call stack you're showing of an exception out of MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.ObjectStore.Open looks like the same one I just resolved even on the public released Windows 10 2004 by applying the SQL Lite fix from your list. Running now successfully here too; using the WMC-V8.8.4 package for what it's worth.

I had to give up on trying to let the script use NSudoC.exe, though. Between Chrome and Windows Defender, no one wanted to let that software exist. Frankly I wasn't sure whether I wanted to either. Applying the fix using Administrators rights rather than LocalSystem seemed to work just fine though, at least for the SQL Lite fix.

18. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Agree that the info I posted looked very much like the original problem reported in September but because it was a long time ago, it would have been difficult to find. However, even after successfully reinstating the DLLs and registry settings it didn't resolve the issue so I believe it was something else. WMC is working fine on another PC with 19640 after using the same method though.
    Missing SQL Lite causes same problem with all versions of WMC but I've never had a problem with using NSudoC on any PC myself so can't speak to that.

19. Trench

Trench MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2015
    I didn't read back through the entire thread to see whether I was having an expected experience or not. I can't disagree that this isn't just a one-off issue unique to this system, since I haven't tried elsewhere yet.

But what happens for me is that when I download the SQL Lite fix .zip file, it downloads and extracts without any warnings, but the NSudoC application the script tries to run from the included /bin/ folder simply does not exist. When viewing the contents of the .ZIP file with Microsoft's in-box zipfolder support, the NSudoC program simply isn't part of the .zip file. So trying to run the installation scripts as-is always failed.

Same if I download the .zip through Edge. If I try to pull the NSudo project release directly from github, then Chrome verbosely declares it won't download malicious software. Edge downloads from github, but the extracted NSudoC.exe program still doesn't run when executed. I didn't go so far as to break out the debugger to determine why execution failed.

This is all on a Windows 10 Pro x64 HTPC where I don't use any anti-malware except for the in-box Windows Defender, for what it's worth. I do have another Windows 10 HTPC to update this week, so if it doesn't seem like a one-off behavior I'll at least post confirmation. Other than Chrome and LAV Filters, these HTPCs don't have any other anti-malware or general purpose software other than WMC installed.

One other thing which does come to mind, for what it's worth: On a web site I run, a few months ago it was noticed that a server-side virus scanning script being performed by the hosting provider was removing a particular old .EXE file out of any .zip files hosted on the web site. Not deleting the .zip file; but simply removing "offending" files from the .zip file. Eventually I had to put that legacy program in a 7-Zip archive instead of .zip so that they would leave it alone. All of which to say; maybe just double-check that the server-side downloads in your list actually still contain all the files you intended them to have.

20. mikewse

mikewse MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2013
    I'm on a vanilla Windows 10 just updated to version 2004 and same thing happens to me; NSudoC.exe is missing from the zip archive after downloading.