[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Do they play ok?

2. Mark61

Mark61 MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2020
    HI All,

I have just tried an upgrade to 2004 and can't get ehome to start - I've on V13 and have run fix_mssqllite but still no go. MC has worked fine on all other versions for the last 18 months (with an occasional replace_dlls)

The event log shows

Application: ehshell.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.Security.SecurityException at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowSecurityException(System.ExceptionResource) at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(System.String, Boolean) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.GetClientId(Boolean) at MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.ObjectStore.Open(System.String) at MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.ObjectStoreManager.Open(System.String, Boolean) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.Open(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.Reflection.Assembly, Boolean) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.Open(System.String, System.String, System.String, Boolean) at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.AddObjectStoreReference() at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.get_DefaultSingleton() at ServiceBus.UIFramework.UserControlPoint.Launch(System.String)

Anyone able to suggest a solution?

Many thanks

3. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Did you run the fix mssqllite script n the installer folder or a different one? The one I put on my website had a typo in it and I had to upload a new version. The other things to try is WMC multi tool or make the changes manually.

4. Mark61

Mark61 MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2020
    #10024 Mark61, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    I ran the included version from the installer folder

Apologies for being dense but I've little experience in this, how would I make the changes manually

[Edit] I have also tried downloading and executing the latest version of fix mssqllite with the same outcome. The patch exits with no errors but ehome still crashes on start.

5. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #10025 technodevotee, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  6. Mark61

Mark61 MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2020
    Ok - hanging on! :)

Yes - it is 64bit

In the meantime I will check the entries - I did note that the first time I ran fix mssqllite it copied files - since then it appears to run with no action.

7. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    it only copies the files if they don't exist.

I am investigating the error message you got. I've never seen that before. That is why I asked if it is a 64 bit or 32 bit O/S you are installing on

8. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Seems like it can't read the registry key - have you tried running WMC as administrator?

9. Mark61

Mark61 MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2020
    Running as Admin gets ehome to start but it starts as a new install and then fails as it cannot start the service - i also tried to start the service manually and got access denied.

10. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Doesn't sound good. I wonder if your Windows upgrade didn't work properly. I've had some weird things going on with one I did the other day.

11. Mark61

Mark61 MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2020
    I'll roll back and try again (probably not today though) - I'll let you know how it goes.

12. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    sounds like a plan. I've had to do that already on one of mine. you always seem to get one......

13. mwpeterson

mwpeterson MDL Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Did you uninstall and re-install WMC after the Windows upgrade? Typically that is needed, the previous Windows upgrade being the exception.

14. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    yup, there is a 3 second delay on the audio though in WMC but not in WMP
    no thumbnails in WMC and file explorer

15. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    You may have found a chink in the 8.8.4 armour. As you know, Kevin put a copy of msvidctl, cpfilters and encdec in the ehome folder and re-engineered WMC to use those instead of the ones in system32. However, the early windows systems involved not only dlls in the system32 folder but also registry entries to point to them.

What I don't know is whether the registry entries for encdec are reinstated when 8.8.4 is installed. I also don't know whether reinstating the original functionality of encdec works on 8.8.4 because of the changes that Kevin made.

I guess you could try it and see what happens.

I'm not sure about the three second delay. Is that only when playing dvr-ms?

16. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
  17. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    @Bigal I've never seen this issue on any of my machines, but I don't have any .dvr-ms file, so I can't really test. Have you tried V13 and @technodevotee's DLL fixer to see it helps?

Nope, the 8.8.4 installer doesn't restore any of the COM registry entries for which breaking changes have been introduced by MSFT.

18. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    @Bigal
    It can't hurt to try WMC Multi Tool option 7 and see if it makes any difference.

19. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    #10039 Bigal, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    thanks guys.
    I've been having serious stability problems, WMC keeps hanging when i cancel upcoming conflicting recordings, sometimes it comes back, most of the time i have to use task manager and end task, which then can cause the, WMC has recovered from a problem, please check the guide... "Dracula voice from, Hotel Transylvanian " blah blah blah. That messes up the guide DB mcepg3-0 and then makes another dir mcepg3-1 and so on each time.
    I tried technodevotee's preventative prog, but WMC had already thrown the issue.
    it just happened again, so i either do, WMC Multi Tool option 7, a clean install of windows, i went the upgrade path, a reset, which i tried in the past with no joy, or v13....

edit.. WMC just unfroze and then froze again when removing a scheduled recording....:mad:

20. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #10040 technodevotee, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Well, this used to happen to me frequently but since I have been setting the registry entry (several years now) I have only ever had it happen once and that was due to a corrupt EPG download.

It only ever needs to be run once per install and before this problem occurs. It isn't needed with V13.