[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Herberton

Herberton MDL Novice

Apr 17, 2020
    Hadn't heard of it before?

Well, anyways thanks for your help.

2. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2016
    I just wanted to get back and say the latest version of WMC (ver 13 64bit?) is awesome. I perfomed a fresh Win10 install and updated all until it was version 2004. Then WMC was the first app I installed. There was two patches the download supplied and after that it is never run faster and looked better. I run an OTA system for my 1080p TV and a separate PC as my media and storage device. Thank you all for the amazing support and apps supplied here.

Now I do have a question... I use Spectrum cable for my internet and may need to increase its bandwidth. And for a five dollars more I can get the basic cable thrown in. Can I still use WMC when using Spectrum cable? I have not begun to read through the over 500 pages here ( how about starting a new thread, like by year or something?) so thought I would ask what issues I may encounter with the addition of a cable box/cable card? I am way out of the loop when it comes to cable as I have not used one in decades. Thx for any input.

3. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    For the record, V13 isn't actually the latest version because the core files come from V12 (Circa 2013) and, as you discovered, it requires lots of workarounds to make it work on a modern version of Windows 10. Confusingly, the latest version is currently V8.8.4.

I'm afraid that the lack of support for Cable is a major issue for users of WMC on anything after Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 v1511. There are a number of issues, the main problem being that the DRM mechanism required is no longer supported in Windows.

Some people seem to have non protected stuff working but even then, it seems to be problematic for others.

4. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2016

Oh wow... I had no idea. I'll start reading researching to see what options I might have. This may sound very simplistic but how about I go from the wall into the Spectrum box and from there instead of connecting into my TV go into my video card in my PC. I am sure this has been tried, though.

5. ChrisJohn

ChrisJohn MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2015
    One issue that I have found when running WMC on Win 10 2004 is that the Red recording taskbar icon seems to have completely gone AWOL. Is this just me that is having this issue or is there a way to get it back. I have settings "Show notifications on taskbar" ticked.

6. GREBERT

GREBERT MDL Junior Member

Apr 1, 2019
    JE FAIT MON RETOUR D INFORMATION J AI ENFIN FAIT MA VMWARE AVEC WINDOWS 10 1909 AVEC 3 GO DE RAM 2 CŒUR DE PROCESSEUR 3 GO DE RAM GRAPHIQUE DISQUE DUR MVME EN UEFI AUCUN PROBLÈME A DÉCLARER

SEULE CHOSE QUE J ARRIVE PAS A FAIRE C EST DE FAIRE MONTER MON TUNER TV USB AUTOMATIQUEMENT AU DÉMARRAGE DE LA VMWARE

7. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
  8. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    You really don't want to try and decipher his English - I couldn't make head or tail of what he was saying so I asked him to write in French so that we can use translate like he does.

Works much better.

9. aquadextrous

aquadextrous MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2017
    In your Start-up folder in the Start Menu, add a shortcut to ehtray.exe (from your ehome folder) then right click it, properties and add /surviveehschedtermination into it's target box, this did the trick for me and I always see the red recording symbol in the systray when it's recording. I think it also keeps a MCE remote working for shortcuts from the desktop to guide, recorded tv etc as well. Can't remember where i saw this fix, was either here or on TGB, but thanks to the original finder :)

10. ChrisJohn

ChrisJohn MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2015
    Many thanks. When I looked in the Startup folder that shortcut was already there, exactly as you detailed. Now to explore further where my little red icon is hiding!
    Thanks again anyway.

11. Delphiwizard

Delphiwizard MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2015
    Just a small thing i've been wondering about for years; on my most channels i get the guide data for a full week but on English channels like BBC1, BBC2 ,ITV, Channel 4 etc i always only get the current program and the next, nothing else, this makes scheduling recordings harder, i have to add manual recordings on channel and time.
    Has anyone ever found a way around that to get a full week guide on English channels?
    Mediacenter (naturally), Windows 10 pro, digital devices dual tuner card connected to satellite dish with 4 lnb's and 4 diseqc switches, lnb's are aligned to astra 1,2,3 and hotbird, mainland Europe.
    English channels are Astra 2 satellite.

12. ChrisJohn

ChrisJohn MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2015
    In answer to Delphiwizard. I run Win 10 and WMC and have a Blackgold twin tuner for Freeview terrestrial channels. In the Guide I get today plus the next 7 days on the Channels you mention above. I don't get the HD channels directly but populate the guide by mapping these channels to the SD versions.

13. Delphiwizard

Delphiwizard MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2015
    Yes but your in Scotland ChrisJohn, i think outside UK we only get the current and next in the guide, so i wondered how i could change that

14. Delphiwizard

Delphiwizard MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2015
    I can send you that fix_mssqllite edechamps, pm me your e-mail and i'll send it this afternoon.

15. edechamps

edechamps MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2015
    I tried this approach but it does not appear to work for mcupdate.exe, resulting in things like initial TV setup being broken (stuck downloading TV data). I did not change the manifest for mcupdate.exe because it doesn't have one in 8.8.4 - maybe that's the problem? Anyway, in the mean time, the "quick & dirty" fix_mssqlite approach of just restoring the DLLs globally seems to work better.

16. poppy_lollipop

poppy_lollipop MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2020
    #10198 poppy_lollipop, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    New
    Translated from Greber: (ignoring French syntax errors and orthographic quirks)
    I hereby provide you with my information report about using VMWare with W10 1909.
    Configuration : RAM : 3GB, Duo Core processor, GRAM 3GB, HDD "MVME" UEFI boot
    Everything is in order.

The only thing I am still unable to do is to automatically load my USB TV tuner at VMware startup.

17. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I had Spectrum cable for a while a few years ago, I just plugged the cable into my HDHomeRuns that would usually be plugged into the aerial and was able to pick up all the standard channels. It's not likely to work for encrypted stuff but for the plain ol' stuff it's great. Till they get in a pissing match with some provider of course and get blacked out, then the old OTA reigns supreme...

18. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011