[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Joni

Joni MDL Novice

May 28, 2009
    #10181 Joni, Jul 29, 2020 at 13:47
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020 at 14:54
    Edit: Nm, found the channels now.

2. Herberton

Herberton MDL Novice

Apr 17, 2020
    Hadn't heard of it before?

Well, anyways thanks for your help.

3. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2016
    I just wanted to get back and say the latest version of WMC (ver 13 64bit?) is awesome. I perfomed a fresh Win10 install and updated all until it was version 2004. Then WMC was the first app I installed. There was two patches the download supplied and after that it is never run faster and looked better. I run an OTA system for my 1080p TV and a separate PC as my media and storage device. Thank you all for the amazing support and apps supplied here.

Now I do have a question... I use Spectrum cable for my internet and may need to increase its bandwidth. And for a five dollars more I can get the basic cable thrown in. Can I still use WMC when using Spectrum cable? I have not begun to read through the over 500 pages here ( how about starting a new thread, like by year or something?) so thought I would ask what issues I may encounter with the addition of a cable box/cable card? I am way out of the loop when it comes to cable as I have not used one in decades. Thx for any input.

4. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    For the record, V13 isn't actually the latest version because the core files come from V12 (Circa 2013) and, as you discovered, it requires lots of workarounds to make it work on a modern version of Windows 10. Confusingly, the latest version is currently V8.8.4.

I'm afraid that the lack of support for Cable is a major issue for users of WMC on anything after Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 v1511. There are a number of issues, the main problem being that the DRM mechanism required is no longer supported in Windows.

Some people seem to have non protected stuff working but even then, it seems to be problematic for others.

5. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2016

Oh wow... I had no idea. I'll start reading researching to see what options I might have. This may sound very simplistic but how about I go from the wall into the Spectrum box and from there instead of connecting into my TV go into my video card in my PC. I am sure this has been tried, though.