[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. alexamac

alexamac MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2017
    Very many thanks for your patience and efforts. All set up.

Great to have live TV back. Guide search would be great.

2. pashyperpon22

pashyperpon22 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2020
    Hello,
    I am French and you only read my Google translation.
    I want to thank everyone who works so that WMC can still be used under W10.
    Thanks to Remi and the windowsmediacenter.fr site, I managed to use WMC until May 2020 under W10 19.03 and since July, I can use it under W10 20.04 thanks to Tecnodevotee

However I am a little worried:

- the French site windowsmediacenter.fr will soon close, it talks about giving up maintaining WMC under W10
    - Technodevotee which managed to make WMC work under W10 20.04 no longer gives access to its version WMC-V13_x64.zip and talks about stopping distributing its patches from mid-September ... (technodevotee.co. uk / WMC-Downloads.htm)

Can you tell me if I will have to settle for mediocre alternatives (schibopvr or other ...) in the future? Are so few of us still using WMC?
    Good WE to all and ... give me good news "please"

Christophe

Bonjour,
    Je suis francophone et vous ne lisez que ma traduction par Google.
    Je souhaite remercier tous ceux qui travaillent pour que WMC puisse toujours être utilisé sous W10.
    Grace à Remi et le site windowsmediacenter.fr, j'ai réussi à utiliser WMC jusqu'en mai 2020 sous W10 19.03 et depuis juillet, je peux l'utiliser sous W10 20.04 grace à Tecnodevotee

Cependant je suis un peu inquiet :

- le site francophone windowsmediacenter.fr va bientôt fermer, il parle de renoncer à maintenir WMC sous W10
    - Technodevotee qui a réussi a faire fonctionner WMC sous W10 20.04 ne donne plus accès à sa version WMC-V13_x64.zip et parle de cesser de diffuser ses patchs à partir de mi-septembre... (technodevotee.co.uk/WMC-Download

Pouvez-vous me dire si je devrai, à l'avenir, me contenter des médiocres alternatives (schibopvr ou autre...) ? Sommes nous si peu nombreux à encore utiliser WMC ?
    Bon WE à tous et... rassurez moi "please"

Christophe

3. plplplpl

plplplpl MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2020
    L'avenir est toujours quelque peu incertain, mais pour le présent WMC fonctionne encore sous Windows 10 2004 avec les procédures expliquées ici récemment. Ne perds pas foi. :)

4. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    @pashyperpon22

I believe there is a new version of WMC in the pipeline from @Kévin Chalet that will address all the issues we currently face.

I too live in hope.

As for V13, my add-ons and utilities, they were only ever meant to be a stop-gap solution and I have decided to stop providing them due to security concerns.

5. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    how do you mean? you have guide data but can't search or you don't have guide data to search?

either way, this can probably be resolved.....

6. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    #10246 Kévin Chalet, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Haha, perfect timing: I just finished working on an updated 8.8.5 installer that contains the 4 Microsoft SQL CE DLLs and a RestoreSqlCe.reg file with all the corresponding COM registrations (it is automatically imported by the main installer BAT, so no additional step is required).

I'm looking for volunteers to test it. If you're interested, let me know.

7. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    I've started a conversation....

8. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm always willing to help
    let me know what u want need me to do

9. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    #10249 Kévin Chalet, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Yeah, it's very unfortunate Remi decided to shut windowsmediacenter.fr down. It was one of the last sites that was entirely dedicated to WMC (luckily, TGB and MDL are still here).
    I briefly chatted with him and suggested copying all the content from windowsmediacenter.fr to a dedicated GitHub repo (so that all his work could still be accessed by those interested). No idea whether it will happen or not.

10. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    FWIW, restoring the 4 DLLs in System32 and all their COM registrations in the registry is the approach I've adopted in 8.8.5. I initially tried with a custom assembly manifest, but this approach was more complicated than I had anticipated:
    - There are tons of WMC executables that directly use the WMC database (and thus would need to have an application manifest for the 4 SQLCE .dlls).
    - I hit a strange issue that made WMC sluggish when loading a channel for the first time and that prevented the recording service from working properly. Not sure why as I didn't investigate much, but it's very likely related to the symptoms you described.

In this case, restoring the 4 DLLs in System32 doesn't have any annoying downside, as they no longer ship with Windows itself, and thus don't cause any conflict (e.g they won't be flagged by the sfc tool).
    Restoring them this way also comes with a cool bonus: you can still use third-party apps that work with the WMC database (e.g like EPG123) without tweaking them to use custom manifests.

11. rhahgleuhargh

rhahgleuhargh MDL Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Hi Kevin,
    I'm interested ! Actually I use V8.8.4 with re enabled SQL in W10 2004 (French system with TNT), all is OK. I have an other computer that I could use for tests.
    Thanks for your work, you and technodevotee !
    A suggestion for this topic : can someone edit first post with latest WMC versions links (V13, 8.8.4). Downloading from here could avoid corrupted files/security problems.

12. plplplpl

plplplpl MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2020
    That would indeed be a helpful idea as it is a logical place to look, especially in a thread that already has over 500 pages.

13. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    @rhahgleuhargh PM sent :)

Once I'm 8.8.5 doesn't cause any side effect, I'll contact the OP to update it.

14. Blue-Screen

Blue-Screen MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2020
    Give me a notice, if you want me to try 8.8.5

15. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
  16. oldnav11

oldnav11 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2015
    I,d, likewize, be happy to test 8.8.5.

17. cefeide

cefeide MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2015
  18. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
  19. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    @technodevotee nope, not in this version, but it's something I'd like to do (we'll need to collect all the MUI files for the supported languages, tho).