[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #101 T-S, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  2. dejong12

dejong12 MDL Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Can you tell me/us how you achieved this?

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #103 T-S, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015

1) Started from my working configuration SSE2008r2/VHS2011 with dvblink (4.1.1 ) installed, it was already working and sharing TV to other WMC/Kodi/Emby/web clients

2) installed Vmware 10 on server (I tested it also on W10, no problem at all, I still have to test if VMware 11 makes any difference).

3) Installed ThinPC + the needed components (MUIs and WMC)

4) configured the Unity mode (the way VMware calls its version of XPmode)

5) installed the dvblink network client on the virtual ThinPC and configured it's own WMC to use it)

6) the most boring part was to configure the IR remote to talk with the client ( I used eventghost+ the network sender plugin on server and eventghost+ network receiver+MCE plugins on the virtual machine.

Step 6 can be completely avoided if you're going to use a network based remote (say an android phone+ a remote control sw), or if you use a wireless mouse.

That's all, and it's the short version of the story, I tried a lot of variations before having a satisfactory result, including Hyperview setups (completely useless because the lack of a good VGA support and the need of an external SW to route the USB devices ), virtualbox 4.x, working but degrading the video quality, virtual box 5.x I had just a black screen on client on my setup, but could be working on different HW.

I tried also to reverse the scenario installing the TV server on the virtualized client, it was too slow

P.S. remember that DVBlink can use it's own or WMC's recorder, better to use the former.

By default dvblink 4.6/5.1 uses its own while dvblink 4.5 and earlier uses WMC's ones, so a small XML edit is needed to switch the engine.

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Wow, that impressive mate. :worthy:

I'm running 2012 R2 STD w/Essentials, so I tried using Hyper-V, Seven in a VM, and DVBLink but the overheads were to great for my Atom powered server.

I might try your approach latter, do you mind getting 'panicked' PM's :p

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I did it mainly for fun and to have a better view of pros/cons of various visualization solutions and I must say that I learned a lot of things.

My server has already a desktop OS in dual boot, so the easy path is to reboot to the right OS and the problem is solved.

For the record my Home server is an HP Microsever Gen7 powered by a Turion N54L (2.2GHz dual core), so, likely less powerful than a modern atom but way more powerfull than classic atoms used on netbooks.

The integrated VGA is an HD4200 and that one is surely better than Intel's solutions.

The server is not running on SSD but has a good "old" velociraptor + some WD green for storage partly duplicated with the great DrivePool.

It has just 4GB of ram (less than that given the integrated VGA) and runs reasonably well.

You will be welcome;)

6. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    LOL, my Atom based 'Media Server' is one of the 'classics' a D2500 :confused: But it works for us. ;)
    I have the same Microserver only with 8gb RAM and HP dual Gig NIC. Its my Hyper-V Box. :cool:

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #107 T-S, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015

Well, according to passmark N54L v.s. D2500 gives 1399 v.s. 399 points. But we know that sometimes those numbers can be misleading on real world scenario.

Whatever. I have experimented further with newer versions of the programs involved

Tried the latest v4 VirtualBox and the recently released Virtualbox 5.RC1 both: worked better than the version I tested earlier, but they are still not on par with VMware, video is not "silky".

Then I tried VMware 11: no big differences with v10, maybe a slight improvement in video rendering, but could be some placebo effect.

Then I tried Win8.1 and, although it uses more ram than ThinPC, it's smoother. Likely it has some improvements aimed to virtual enviroments

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
  9. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Your right and this is the point of this thread. Windows Media Center will be removed from Windows 10. The point of this thread is to see if we can export it from a Windows 10 build (I have the files from 10130 via Aunty Mel's Cheap And Nasty SxS Package Extractor and been capturing them from each build).

So when Windows 10 RTM hits, if someone can patch the needed files and we can use sxs installer, we might be able to add WMC to Windows 10 and get it working.

As long as Playready installs, it should work with cablecards and extenders, so we can use it like we have always have...

The dream is to still be able use Windows 10 so I can get the advantage of DirectX 12 for games (not coming to 7 or 8.1) and watch TV with WMC when I would like to, a feature that I use on my office machine a lot (via shared tuners from my HTPC)

10. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    It's official, Windows Media Center files are not included in 10147. I have been capturing them from each build and this was the first build where they removed the files. So the hack to get WMC to install will no longer work.

Now I would like to see if we can hack it in some how by patching some files. Is anyone interested in helping out here ?

11. bmurphr1

bmurphr1 MDL Junior Member

Aug 19, 2009
    I'm going to miss Windows Media Center come July the 29th since it's the only application that is compatible with the copy-protected channels on my two SiliconDust Prime tuners...more than likely I'm going to end up having to make the switch over to Kodi + NextPVR and spend an eternity configuring them properly just to get a proper EPG (as well as cancel my movie channels since they can't handle HBO/Skinemax/Showtime.

12. skapigmdl

skapigmdl MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2015
    There's no urgency to upgrade to Win10. Probably not bringing you anything too useful featurewise (obviously taking away something). Especially with an OS, better to let others poke around at it for a little while to knock out critical issues and build up a knowledge base. Free for a year, so you don't have to pull the trigger right away. You mention being invested in Prime tuners, so it's probably worth your while to see what SiliconDust delivers with their DVR. You're talking about going to Kodi anyway, so why not use their addon? It does come off as a bit immature and a step down experience-wise, but that will hopefully be refined with time (once they're done being distracted by meeting core functional commitments from the crowdfunding campaign). Adoption of Win10 and the transition off of WMC should help increase motivation to improve both Kodi and the addon.

13. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    My HTPC is running Windows 8.1 ProWMC (free upgrade key) If its eligible from the 'free upgrade' I'll take it.
    And see if I can get the upgrade to work on my old laptop, if it does great. If it doesn't, its going in the bin.
    Because, my HTPC is staying on Windows 8.1 ProWMC until I find a real alternative to WMC.

Now, I don't know much hacking OS's and App's so I don't think I'll be a lot of help there.
    But, I can do screw drivers, so I could always add another HDD to my HTPC and use it to dual boot and test out stuff if that helps. :confused:

I keep hearing people going on about SiliconDust as if it is/could be a solution.
    From what I've seen from them here in the UK their barely able to make a descent OTA (Freeview) multi-tuner box. So unless their US products are a lot better than the UK ones I don't see who they could make a WMC replacement. And if they are, does that mean, they'll make a US only solution.

14. Deihmos

Deihmos MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2015
    Point me to a 3rd party software that can play copy once cable channels. Oh wait...WMC is the only one.

15. Deihmos

Deihmos MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2015
    I tried nextpvr before in kodi. It took like 5 seconds to change channels and copy once channels are not compatible. I use Kodi for videos and WMC for Live TV. Perfect solution.

16. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Personally I don't have that problem, i like the client side part of WMC, I care very little about the server side, mediaportal, dvblink, argus are all good for me (altough argus is a little funky to configure).

That said I can't see any problem using an older win version and its WMC on server. At least for many years.

17. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Is that still using Unity mode ?

I've gotta find some time to play with this, :(

18. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #119 T-S, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    Yes. But this is on client side. A Much more powerful machine, as you can see on the properties. It's also on SSD.

Here the differences from the "real thing" are are almost unnoticeable.

If the VM is left in suspended state, way less than 30 secs are needed from a click on WMC icon to the LiveTV up and running.

If started from the powered VM, the startup time is no different from the native WMC. Say 5/6 secs.

For the record installing it was way easier and quicker than the Dism process used before to have the native WMC.

I had just to copy the working VM from the server machine to the notebook, and opened it with vmware, which was already installed before the upgrade to the build 10174.

Then I rebooted it once, because I wanted to change its name.

19. JakeStockton

JakeStockton MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2013
    While this isn't an ideal solution, I purchased a Foxconn NanoPC at Newegg for about $160, plus 8GB memory and used an existing ssd for "Windows 10" system.

This allows me to keep the powerful system running Windows 8 Media Center with a dozen cable tuners, mcebuddy, etc as well as allows me to run the new and superior universal apps like Mail, Music, Photos, etc.

Remote Desktop works pretty well, as does my My Media Center Windows 8 app from Ceton. To play wtv files on my Windows 10 client I had to install Skark007 codec pack. :/

Not ideal, but at least I don't have to retire my media center.