[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. fattylumpkin

fattylumpkin MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2010
    Have any of the updates made the "setup your speakers" work or is it still an issue?

2. kim_lombard

kim_lombard MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2015
    #1262 kim_lombard, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    Problems with v6 not recognizing OTA channels. Stuck on Cable Tuner channels...

this install works but the channels seem to be hard wired for cable. It shows channels in the 9001 to 9010 range and won't allow any edits or channel resets even though it recognizes my HDHOMERUN tuners (over the air) and Hauppauge 950's.

WindowsMediaCenter_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v6.7z

What does work is the older installer in WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0.zip

It correctly identifies my tuners and finds all the channels. The only problem with it is no episode guide.

So two steps forward, 1 back.

I'm wondering if a separate installer is needed for different environments. Cable / OTA / Clear QAM cable. Just a suggestion. OR better yet, some options in the installer that let you pick.

3. GunnerHook

GunnerHook MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2015
    Something I stumbled across in all my reinstalls in trying to get this to work. I live in Central IL but the "65.55.5.170 central or southern us" guide address does NOT work for me. I could not get any guide data and it would fail during setup. Once I changed to the west cost "65.55.186.113 west coast or east coast" IP in my hosts file, the guide works correctly and the setup completes correctly. I'm not sure what the differences in these are, but I'm in about the most central part of the US you can be and the central guide IP doesn't work for me. Just figured I would post this in case others are having this issue.

4. Graznok

Graznok MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    #1264 Graznok, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  5. jtpcamp

jtpcamp MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2015
    Due to the error of no tv setup data I can not get guide data. I can manually set up channels, watch, record and play back digital programs.
    In the workaround folder instructions it says to run "mcupdate.exe" but I do not have that file. The same with "mcepg2-0" and folder "mcepg2-0" which do not exist.
    I have WMC set up but unlike WMC in Win 7 the setup tells me that my graphics card is not good enough which is strange since it worked in Win 7. Also having sound problems as on some channels the voice track is only working part of the time. UGH. So many problems. HELP !!!

6. kim_lombard

kim_lombard MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2015
    #1266 kim_lombard, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    Works for me, now

PRESET-UP NOTES: This is probably obvious for most on this forum, but worth a mention if your goals is live tv:
    1) make sure you are connected to the internet
    2) make sure you have your tv tuner turned on, installed with correct drivers
    3) make sure you can view live tv with the tv tuner utilities prior to setup of WMC

EDIT: I should start by saying that after running the _TestRights.cmd (successfully) and Installer.cmd (successfully) and BEFORE starting Windows Media Center when I did A-) Modify Host File: from below FIRST, I was able to get the episode guild and it located my correct region by zip successfully on first startup of WMC. Hurray! I have this working on three different Windows 10 systems now.

UPDATE: 7/30/2015: If the instructions above do not work for you, see the comments from Marcus and Willow below for a second approach which is reporting success. A subset of their comments are listed below and were provided by a forum on TheGreenButton:

thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php

?p=93138&f=5#p93138

Make sure to close WMC

A-) Modify Host File

– Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
    -Right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
    -Click Continue on the Windows needs your permission UAC window.
    -When Notepad opens, click File > Open.
    -In the File name field, type C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
    -Click Open.
    -Replace the IP address at the bottom of file with:
    65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
    72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com
    -Click File > Save to save your changes.

B-) CLEAN GUIDE DOWNLOAD AND ASSIGNMENT (By Wyldwof):

-Close WMC
    -Open Task Scheduler – Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools, Schedule Tasks
    -In the left tree expand Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, Windows, Media Center
    -In the right pane under name, right-click ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, and click Run (let it run for 2 mins)
    -Close Task Scheduler

C-DNS FLUSH

-Click Start.
    -Select Programs.
    -Select Accessories and locate the Command Prompt shortcut.
    -Right click the Command Prompt shortcut and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu.
    -Type ipconfig /release in the command prompt.
    -Wait a few seconds for a reply that the IP address has been released.
    -Type ipconfig /renew in the command prompt.
    -Wait a few seconds for a reply that the IP address has been re-established.
    -Type ipconfig /flushdns in the command prompt.
    -Close the command prompt and reboot computer

Start > type in "c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ehome"

Delete file "mcepg2-0" and folder "mcepg2-0". This will force you to set up Live TV from scratch in WMC (or delete anything named m***.db and the corresponding folder)

Open Windows Media Center and go through the Live TV setup and you should now be able to download guide data

Last step is to run “Set Up TV Signal” from the WMC settings menu. After running the set up it should take 3-5 mins for the guide to update.

Works for me, now

One happy camper. Where do I send the check?

7. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
  8. blackbee

blackbee MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2009
    #1268 blackbee, Sep 13, 2015
    Thanks for development.

Everything works except through DVBLink, WMC not find channels.
    Can anyone help?

Windows 10 build 10240 X86

9. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
  10. Tehax

Tehax MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
    Install DVB link again and you will get in extras the the app to sync channels.

11. snorkel

snorkel MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2015
    Had similar problems trying to re-install Windows 10 DVD player, after removing it via powerscript.

I ran regedit to search for instances of "WindowsDVDPlayer", and deleted all relevent reg keys, then successfully re-installed using modified .msi installer

12. mwpeterson

mwpeterson MDL Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Mine is a little different, if I try to play a protected channel on live tv I get, Copying Prohibited The broadcaster prohibits this content from being copied. If I record a program, then I get the System Files Modified error when I try to play it.

Luckily this is not a big deal for me since only HBO HD West and Cinemax HD West are copy protected and all other HD premium channels do not have DRM including the East feeds for those two channels.

13. Joni

Joni MDL Junior Member

May 28, 2009
    Is the wake up for recordings fixed in v6?

14. dejong12

dejong12 MDL Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Yes, this has been fixed. Check if NETWORK Service is a member of the group Administrator in Computer Management > Local Users & Groups (search in Start for lusrmgr.msc).

15. jtpcamp

jtpcamp MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2015
    +
    A link to V6............

16. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Post #1245

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. jtpcamp

jtpcamp MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2015
    Thank You.;)

18. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    #1278 DavidinCT, Sep 13, 2015
    Interesting find today.... As for DRM protected cablecard channels. So, I removed all codecs, so I was getting a Display error that drivers were not installed in WMC (running WindowsMediaCenter_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v5) when trying to play live TV. Something MOST of us have been dealing with.

and I ran a sfc /scannow

After it saying it fixed some files and a reboot. My 1 protected channel is playing back WITHOUT getting a protected content error, the ONLY problem is that It's claiming weak signal and it will play then break up... or go to No signal. It's hardly watchable but, it's a step in the right direction....One time opening it, it said it needed a PlayReady update (that failed) but, by closing WMC and opening it, it played back.

It appears this might of addressed the DRM issue but, there is something else going on why it's losing signal on these channels, the system is a fairly new i7 5820 with 16gb DDR4 OC memory running on a 500gb SSD and the video is a gtx970 OC. It's not system performance. No problems like this on ANY other channel.

This even worked when I installed the Windows 10 DVD player....SO, if you have that only installed, it might be fine with it..

I hope this is a step in the right direction, wondering if this works for anyone else....(again, I was just watching it, and after 1 min it started breaking up and went to no signal, so not really usable)

19. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I think that You, guys from the US, should compare what happens using a (non WMC enabled) W8.1 and installing there the abbodi/dejong package (just remove the w10 check at the beginning of the install script)

Doing it can help to understand where the problems arises because file incompatibilities and where because something still missing/wrong on the package itself

20. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    I have a 8.1 tablet, I was waiting for THIS project to be complete to move over to 10 but, I can try this and I might have to do Wi-Fi but, it is NOT a WMC machine. So it will be nice to see if this works...

Not sure I will have time tonight but, over the next day or so, I should be able to test it..

What do I need to change to get to install on 8.1 over 10 ?