[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. meluvalli

meluvalli MDL Junior Member

Nov 11, 2013
    I tried running the mcupdate as admin and same result... So, just like you said, I ran the mediaCenterRecoveryTask waited a min.. Refreshed the task screen and the "Last Run Result" shows an error... "Class not registered (0x80040154)". I rebooted anyways and still get same result. :(

2. mikee4fun

mikee4fun MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2009
    Did you try installing the LAV filters? Once I did this, the issue went away for me.

github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases

3. hmmurdock

hmmurdock MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2012

LAV filters aren't capable of playing DRM'ed content.

4. mikee4fun

mikee4fun MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2009
    I got the same error message mel but I went through the thread and found the following which another user kindly posted.

PRESET-UP NOTES: This is probably obvious for most on this forum, but worth a mention if your goals is live tv:
    1) make sure you are connected to the internet
    2) make sure you have your tv tuner turned on, installed with correct drivers
    3) make sure you can view live tv with the tv tuner utilities prior to setup of WMC

EDIT: I should start by saying that after running the _TestRights.cmd (successfully) and Installer.cmd (successfully) and BEFORE starting Windows Media Center when I did A-) Modify Host File: from below FIRST, I was able to get the episode guild and it located my correct region by zip successfully on first startup of WMC. Hurray! I have this working on three different Windows 10 systems now.

UPDATE: 7/30/2015: If the instructions above do not work for you, see the comments from Marcus and Willow below for a second approach which is reporting success. A subset of their comments are listed below and were provided by a forum on TheGreenButton:

thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php

?p=93138&f=5#p93138

Make sure to close WMC

A-) Modify Host File

– Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
    -Right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
    -Click Continue on the Windows needs your permission UAC window.
    -When Notepad opens, click File > Open.
    -In the File name field, type C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
    -Click Open.
    -Replace the IP address at the bottom of file with:
    65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
    72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com
    -Click File > Save to save your changes.

B-) CLEAN GUIDE DOWNLOAD AND ASSIGNMENT (By Wyldwof):

-Close WMC
    -Open Task Scheduler – Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools, Schedule Tasks
    -In the left tree expand Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, Windows, Media Center
    -In the right pane under name, right-click ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, and click Run (let it run for 2 mins)
    -Close Task Scheduler

C-DNS FLUSH

-Click Start.
    -Select Programs.
    -Select Accessories and locate the Command Prompt shortcut.
    -Right click the Command Prompt shortcut and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu.
    -Type ipconfig /release in the command prompt.
    -Wait a few seconds for a reply that the IP address has been released.
    -Type ipconfig /renew in the command prompt.
    -Wait a few seconds for a reply that the IP address has been re-established.
    -Type ipconfig /flushdns in the command prompt.
    -Close the command prompt and reboot computer

Start > type in "c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ehome"

Delete file "mcepg2-0" and folder "mcepg2-0". This will force you to set up Live TV from scratch in WMC (or delete anything named m***.db and the corresponding folder)

Open Windows Media Center and go through the Live TV setup and you should now be able to download guide data

Last step is to run “Set Up TV Signal” from the WMC settings menu. After running the set up it should take 3-5 mins for the guide to update.

Works for me, now

One happy camper. Where do I send the check?

5. mikee4fun

mikee4fun MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2009
    #1385 mikee4fun, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    Oh crap, I usually only watch ESPN and stuff, not HBO, yeah, that is not working. Boo! I wonder how Silicon Dust is decoding HBO because it works through their HD Home Run App.

6. hmmurdock

hmmurdock MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2012
    They are using a different DRM scheme (DTCP-IP) instead of PlayReady.

7. meluvalli

Nov 11, 2013
    Still Get "Class not registered (0x80040154)" on the status for task.... So both MediaCenterRecoveryTask and ObjectStoreRecoveryTask show the same error. Either way, still not working. Same result :(. Also worth mentioning.. People keep saying delete the mcepg2-0 file/folder... I don't have this. I have mcepg3-0... Not 2-0. Again, running WindowsMediaCenter_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v6.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

8. mikee4fun

mikee4fun MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2009
    Mel, I had that same as well, I just deleted all the .db files and the mcepg3 and then re ran it.

9. ealvnv

ealvnv MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2014
    Uninstall the HDHomeRun Software, the reinstall and it should work, I did not even had to reboot.

10. meluvalli

Nov 11, 2013
    Still not working for me :confused:. I think I am going to try and start with a fresh install of Windows and see if this makes a difference. I would be shocked if it did though.... But I don't know what else to try :weep:

11. TOFnow

TOFnow MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Same experience here, Homerun Prime, etc. Except have not been able to get channels nor able to break the permissions to save hosts file. Believe I've tried most everything suggested so far. But I can view the HDHomerun View TV output just fine on nonDRM channels.

12. The Mac

The Mac MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2015
    i did two machines today (v6)

the one at work plays back non-drm content recorded from a win7 machine no problem.

my one at home wont.

it generates the thumbnails though which is weird, and sound plays in media player .

i get the no decoder message.

any thoughts?

13. Miamijerry

Miamijerry MDL Junior Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Did you install Microsoft's DVD Player ??

Or set the Microsoft decoders as the WMC decoders

14. The Mac

The Mac MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2015
    #1394 The Mac, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    hmmm...no, not on either.

although work was an upgrade, home is an upgrade and subsequent nuke from orbit.

looks like they want $15, i have win7 ultimate, shouldnt it be free?

edit: for the love of god, i have to roll back. good thing i saved a preupgrade system image. pain in the ass. The work one must have downloaded in the background as its a pure upgrade.

can i assume once i download and install it it will stay attached to the store and i can restore my current install?

edit2: son of a ..., nope its tied only to the upgrade installation. im gonna have to pay the $15 if i want it....

8. Q: Will I keep the free app if I reinstall Windows using update and recovery?
    A: The free Windows DVD Player app is tied to your Windows 7 or Windows 8 installation, so any action that reinstalls Windows over the top of an existing Windows 10 installation will break this tie and remove the free Windows DVD Player app. To recover the free app, you’ll have to use your installation media to re-install Windows 7 or Windows 8 + Media Center, and then upgrade to Windows 10.

how do i set the Microsoft decoders as the WMC decoders?

15. Miamijerry

Miamijerry MDL Junior Member

Nov 8, 2011
  16. The Mac

The Mac MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2015
    cool beans. got it working

regedit has a permission lockout on that key.

1st link worked.

I prefer to avoid MCDU as it can really do a number on your codecs if you arent careful.

I tried shark007, wich is easier to use, but it just used the LAV codecs and i couldnt reset them. I have a feeling they werent really there.

Installing the DVD player did the trick, disabled LAV and is now using the MS codecs.

Its too bad LAV doesnt have DRM support, boy are they fast, and sharp as hell.

17. meluvalli

Nov 11, 2013
    I am confused as to what IP to use for hosts file.... Some people say to use:
    72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

while others say to use this:
    2.16.216.176 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

Which one is correct? Are either correct? Should we even be editing the hosts file?? If I don't change hosts file, it points to 184.25.56.52.

I have been dealing with download failure during initial live TV setup since the beginning and nothing seems to fix it. I am wondering if it's possible the version I am using? Is V6 (WindowsMediaCenter_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v6.7z) not good for fresh install? I am in the US.

18. hmmurdock

hmmurdock MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2012
    My Win7 HTPC has never had the host file modified and never had any guide issues (even during the Rovi switchover, it worked seemlessly. One day the guide said "Rovi" and that was it) and that computer resolves:

cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com
    to 24.143.196.42

If your computer isn't resolving the IP address correctly then there is a problem with the DNS server you're using. If you modify your host file to supersede the DNS server then any future changes to guide servers won't work, and will require further modifications to your host file.

So while changing the host file can fix some problems, it's just hiding a larger DNS issue so I don't recommend it. I'd suggest switching from your ISP's DNS server to Google's public DNS server.

You can either do that per computer (in the TCP/IP properties for your network card) or on your router's DHCP configuration page (which will vary per manufacturer) I've set mine up to use Google's public DNS server for my Primary DNS server and my ISP's DNS server for my secondary server.

But that's just this guy's opinion.

19. Graznok

Graznok MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
  20. tdulcet

tdulcet MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2015
    Comparing files for Windows 8.1 Pro vs Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center installation

This has already been tried with no success. See posts #206, #207, #221, #227, #231...

The second to last paragraph in post #206 explains the steps necessary to do the comparison. Maybe you can find something we missed.