[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Yes it's normal, no messege return

check the files to verify if it works

2. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Would love to see if we can get this to play video with out having to install a 3rd party codec to play video....

3. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    #1703 phrunt, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Perhaps this should be added to the installer script to resolve the problem in the future for a lot of people. Thanks

4. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    The easier way would be when you download the file, right click, go to properties and click "Unblock" before extracting it. This would resolve the program before it all even is installed.

5. throbber

throbber MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2008
    Oh I see...fare play☺
    Btw....i wasn't being unpleasant just pointing something out.iv been a member to long to start being unpleasant.
    There's enough people on hear that do that naturally...peace

6. snorkel

snorkel MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2015
    Interestng, I've installed DVD Player app so already able to play .wtv files, but would be good to know if above update allows playback of .wtv files without installing DVD Player app.

7. tricolis

tricolis MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2015
    #1707 tricolis, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    Does anyone have the problem with when u have the guide tell it to record a show at said time and date it doesnt record. But once you open up the program thats when it will start the recording. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Thanks

8. ElDiabl0

ElDiabl0 MDL Junior Member

May 31, 2011
    The DTV-DVD decoder is querying the app repository to see if the dvd player app is present before allowing dvd and tv playback. But I don't think it actually needs the dvd player app, it's just a hard-coded restriction like the old WMC SKU check implemented in a different way.

9. meluvalli

meluvalli MDL Junior Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Ok... After further testing Xbox Extender issues.... Here is what I have found...

Someone on this forum said earlier that Xbox 360 doesn't use RDP to connect through extender.. I find this hard to believe since port 3390 MUST be unblocked for the Xbox 360 to work. Port 3390 is an alternate port for RDP specifically for extenders....

On a windows 8.1 machine... If you setup Extender 100%... Then use another Client PC to try and remote desktop into that client using port 3390, it takes the connection, but when you login, it kicks you off.. This would be kind of expected considering it is suppose to be used for an extender....

Now... If we take a Windows 10 machine.... Try and setup an extender.. It fails at the last step... Looking at even logs, it shows that it was successfully setup, however, the Xbox "times out" trying to connect to the PC.... So I got to thinking.. What if it is really an RDP issue??? So, I tried remote desktop into port 3390 from another machine just like I did with Windows 8.1... This time.. I get an error message BEFORE I even get a login screen (It fails to connect completely): "The Remote session was disconnected because there are no Remote Desktop client access licenses available for this computer. Please contact the server administrator.".... This tells me that you indeed CANNOT remote desktop into 3390 and VERY well could be the root cause of the problems of the Xbox 360 never being able to get a connection....

If anyone has ANY suggestions on trying to fix this and/or getting around this, please let me know!!!! I truly believe if I fix this issue, Xbox would work as an extender!

10. Graznok

Graznok MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    #1710 Graznok, Sep 27, 2015
    mcx2filter.dll has a msmpeg2 decoder check that may be root of issue. Patch for x64 version:
    Code:
    Offset    Original bytes       Patched bytes
    bf7e0     E8 83 26 08 00  -->  B8 01 00 00 00

11. rhahgleuhargh

rhahgleuhargh MDL Member

Feb 9, 2015
    @Graznok,
    I confirm your bug with guide download in France. Maybe it's just a temporarly problem since it worked great few days ago.

12. muppets4

muppets4 MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2014
    Maybe I'm asking something that got answered allready, but I cannot find it.

I use DVBLink at home, so I really was displeased that MS stopped with MCE in Windows 10. The other solutions by DVBLogic never seem to work as good as the MCE version. Foolproof, So I really enjoyed reading this thread and as of this morning I installed this solution. I am running into problems. Hope someone can help.

I installed WindowsMediaCenter_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v7. I run DVBLink 5.5.5 version on my server and have just installed the Windows network client 5.5 on my windows 10 system. After filling in my server credentials, it finds my channels quickly. I then open Media Center and install the 8 TV cards from DVB Link. Still looking fine, it finds my 38 channels.

The problem is that the guide does not update (EID from DVB Link server) and the Live TV option does not play. Anyone?

13. ManS-H

ManS-H MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2007
    First of all, thanks :worthy: to everyone that has been working on this.

I installed WindowsMediaCenter_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v6 with LAV filters, together with my two Anysee E30TCplus tuners, all works great, Live TV, Guide etc. The only problem what i have is when i quickly switch between the channels the sound comes in a loop and then the screen shows "Decoder error". Question, is removing LAV filters a solution and work only with the DVD player?

@dejong12, Thanks for the Anysee driver en the Ziggo transponderlist, works great.

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #1714 T-S, Sep 27, 2015
    First of all you don't need wmc on server side, you can use it but is not mandatory.

Second I'm using DVBlink 4.1.1 since before the WMC was patched and it works perfectly

The old versions of the dvblink mce addon must be registerd by hand on win 8+

with the commands

Code:
    %windir%\ehome\registermceapp.exe /allusers "%~dp0dvblink_addin.xml" /u
    and

Code:
    %windir%\ehome\registermceapp.exe /allusers "%~dp0dvblink_addin.xml"
    Using an admin command propmpt from the dvblink folder

Nit sure if it is still needed on 5.5.

Anyway, often a reboot is more than enough to see the video working.

15. dejong12

dejong12 MDL Member

Jan 4, 2009
    #1715 dejong12, Sep 27, 2015
    These steps are needed if you uninstall and reinstall Windows Media Center while DVBLink is already installed, otherwise the options won't show up.

16. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Are needed practically always after you install the clients (or the server on WMC) if indows is w8+, as I wrote.

17. dejong12

dejong12 MDL Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Not if Windows Media Center is already installed (on W10). Forgot to mention, but I meant v5.5 in my post.

18. jjwatmyself

jjwatmyself MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2015
    Now you've got me thinking. So, a client access license (CAL) is licensing that Microsoft use for RDP.

We're your tests on Win 10 Pro or Home? If Pro, was RDP enabled?

As you know, with traditional RDP to Home, zero connections are permitted, and Pro, one connection is permitted.

There are some methods to get around this.

But this issue isn't a concurrency issue, but absolutely appears to be RDP related.

Also, it is likely that once solved, patching from Microsoft may break it requiring repatching periodically.

(Apparently I need to post more before I can include links... Sigh)

19. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Never tried the 5.5, maybe they finally fixed the problem

Obviusly if you install WMC after Dvblink the component can't be registered by the dvlink setup, no matter the version.

20. dejong12

dejong12 MDL Member

Jan 4, 2009
    If you install WMC first and then DVBLink, you won't need to manually register. WMC will have the options for DVBLink.