[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
  2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    I'm not following, did it worked or not? :D

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Yes and no.

Yes the codec patch part was responsible of the missing TV menus/wizard.

But now I'm getting an error that tells that all the tuners are in use.

Never seen that before doing experiments with W10, so I need to figure out If it's an unrelated problem or if we have a further obstacle...:eek:

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
  5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #1747 T-S, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    I guess no problem here, given the procedure is way more "official" than the one used for W10

6. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    So because Microsoft took Media Center off us, it forced the power of people and now we can basically install it on any operating system, Thanks Microsoft! Annoy people much more and you'll see Media Center on OSX :)

7. meanoc

meanoc MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2013
    Someday they'll learn :)

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    The case of WHS was incredibly stupid.

It was perfect to run on a small machine like my HP Microserver and to do both the storage/backup/fileserver function while aside of the HTPC functions.

They had a great product and they thrown it in the toilet changing a single bit!!!

MediaCenter-EnabledSku =0 V.S. MediaCenter-EnabledSku =1

That is.

9. Klownicle

Klownicle MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    #1751 Klownicle, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    So with that in mind, I'm guessing CableCard DRM CopyOnce will never play for us US folk. I'm technical, but as far as figuring this out its beyond my scope. If anyone with more know how to resolving this part of the chain is welcome to contact me. I imagine I could easily create a VM to play with someone and see if its resolvable.

Either something needs to be patched or something needs to be brought over to allow PlayReady to interface with it. PlayReady "works" to our knowledge so far, but the connection between the system in place on Windows 10 likely is the issue.

Can we copy the PBDA, DTV-DVD, CP Filters, from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10?

10. Tree 5

Tree 5 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
    It is possible to get this to work on a Windows 10 phone?

11. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Yea, that would be the big deal. To get Live TV working, with out any 3rd party codecs or the Microsoft DVD player for Windows 10 with only installed parts that came from Windows 8.1. Then we can re-test it.

I think this is the major point here, to have all the correct drivers and codecs for the digital path everything would need to be taken directly from 8.1 to do this.

12. Undrtakr

Undrtakr MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2015
    First of all thanks for this! I installed it. I have the Hauppage Win-tv-hvr 950Q stick tuner. It was working on windows 8.1 media center. When I setup the region to Canada (because I am there lol) it informs me "Unsupported Region: Windows Media Center does not support your TV tuner in Canada. For a list of supported tuners, visit the web site". Any help? Or am I just out of luck?

13. rbarr110

rbarr110 MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2015
    HUGE thanks to those that got WMC working on Win10. I have searched through the thread regarding CETON issues, but did not see a solution to my problem.

I am running a Ceton Card and it allows a network tuner so other machines on your home network can watch live tv. I am trying to get the Ceton driver installed which adds menu settings for network tuner setup in WMC, however, the Ceton driver will not install on a machine that is Win 10. I tried compatibility mode, which launces the installer, but gives an error and stops installation since it recognizes the OS as not Win 7/8. Does anyone have a workaround for the software/driver installations?

Here is the URL to the drivers/software in question?

//update.cetoncorp.com/get/infinitv/w7/latest/stable

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I don't own that tuner, but try to unpack the downloadable package with 7zip, then unpack the .cab file and install the drivers trough the device manager.

15. meluvalli

meluvalli MDL Junior Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Extender Update:

Ok.... So I have done a lot more testing and got Xbox to connect as an extender!!! YAY!! However, major problem still :(....

After researching, I figured out that port 3390 is actually used for RDP as well.. In registry of Windows, it is Microsoft RDP 5.2. It's still Terminal Service, but it's actually not RDP it's EH-TCP... (Whatever that is ;))... Anyhow, the information is located in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\EH-Tcp. If you look, you will notice, it still uses the exact same DLL files etc per the registry... Which means... The odds are they did change the DLL files to no longer support the 5.2 version :(...

So, to get it to work/connect, I had to do a few weird things.... First thing was to change port for EH-TCP to any other port other than 3390 (Default).... Then I changed RDP Port (Located in Registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp to port 3390 so Extender would try to connect through regular RDP...

This worked. The extender connects... However, you can't be logged into the machine when it does it otherwise the extender gets the error message saying "Someone else is already signed in." and asks if you want to kick them out, however, you don't see it, then it times out and disconnects.... (There are workarounds for this to allow multiple people signed in at the same time, so not a big deal)....

The issue is this... Since it is normal RDP protocol... When you try to play live TV or recordings or basically any video content... The extender gives the Media Center error saying "Video cannot be viewed in Windows Media Center from a Remote Desktop connection."... So, there is no video...

So, basically, Extenders for Xbox 360 DOES technically use the same protocol as RDP, it's a modified version of it to allow the video to be played...

So, to get this to work fully, someone would have to do one of two things:
    1. Patch Media Center to play video through a normal RDP connection
    or
    2. Fix the "RDP 5.0" under the EH-TCP...

I personally would rather see option one done so that way it won't be a problem with future versions of windows and then would basically make Media Center work on any version of Windows...

Anyone have thoughts on this and/or know of anyway to patch/fix this?

16. jjwatmyself

jjwatmyself MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2015
    Nice work. I'll do some research on this. I would say option 1 is preferred so that rdp remains unaffected.

17. hmmurdock

hmmurdock MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2012
    This looks to me like you're trying to force the XBOX to use a traditional RDP connection. (hence the errors regarding user logins and viewing videos) That may or may not be a viable alternative, but again I think you're making assumptions that aren't necessarily correct with regards to how the XBOX connects to the WMC host machine.

Even though the XBOX utilizes some RDP technology, it DOES NOT (normally) utilize a standard RDP connection. (that's why it still worked after updates to the RDP protocol, and that's why the UI looks significantly better and is significantly more responsive than 3rd party extenders that do utilize a standard RDP connection) And it isn't just allowing video to be played, it is also allowing the UI to be rendered locally as well.

If you can manage to get the XBOX working with a traditional RDP connection, that's fantastic but keep in mind that it will almost certainly suffer from the same issues that affected other extenders that do utilize RDP for rendering the UI.

18. kev5k

kev5k MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2015
    I have a quick question on the installer for the WMC on w10. Running either the _TestRights.cmd OR Installer.cmd result in the same feedback in the CMD prompt and no installation of WMC. I running this while logged in as the Local Administrator account on the W10 PC. The feedback I get in the CMD prompt is:

Now setting privilege: SeDebugPrivilege
    Now setting privilege: SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege
    Now setting privilege: SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege
    Running in session: 1
    Host PID: 616

Any thoughts?