[DISCUSSION] Problems on Windows 10 (1709 RS3) "Fall Creators Update" (16299)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by tbnitz, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Shonk

Shonk MDL Member

Oct 10, 2007
    anyone found a way to disable this crap yet
    i wondered why reboot isnt instant anymore its doing all sorts of saves in the background
    im rebooting for a clean os not for it to reloads stuff as soon as i boot

2. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    I have this problem in the "Microsoft Store" - it empty when I'm looking for top free apps (for example). I tried the command WSreset.exe and it didn't work.

Attached Files:

3. E_B_M

E_B_M MDL Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Same problem here, the odd thing is I installed FCU in VirtualBox using the same ISO using MSMG 7.7 to integrate DNF 3.5 pack, integrate updates, remove all Apps except store & Xbox, remove all components (4-3-1) apply tweak (5-4) save & clean-up image. Then used NTLite to remove X-box (removes all but Xbox Identity Provider). See atached screenshot:
    store-capture.JPG

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Corvinus

Corvinus MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2014
    After updating to 1709 my system partition suddenly insists on mounting on every boot on the letter H. Even if I remove it with diskpart, it's always back after every reboot. Any tip to getting rid of the auto mount? While it doesn't hurt, I simply don't like it being mounted - it's messy and unecessary.

upload_2017-10-29_2-42-55.png

5. aladdin2006

aladdin2006 MDL Junior Member

Feb 28, 2013
    I am also experiencing the same issue of system reserved drive which is being shown under 'This PC' assigned to drive letter ( L: ).

Please someone tell us how we can permanently hide this drive letter. It wasn't happening in Win8.1. :(

6. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    Same here. booted to another windows and mounted offline reg and removed drive letters I didnt want mounted.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

7. #67 Deleted member 578156, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2017
    What method did you use to update because i`ve noticed on some occasions windows 10 will want to try to add and additional recovery partition to windows on the UEFI setup method. not really needed, i think it is just a glitch. No matter what i did also windows would want to put it back in. When i backed up my data and completely reformatted my drive and reinstalled windows everything was good again. Not sure if your setup is UEFI but when setup in UEFI you should only have 3 partitions, Recovery Partition, EFI System Partition and your main C: partition only.

8. If it were me i`d back up my data, Reformat and start fresh but that`s me. I ended up fixing a lot of those problem after i did that. What ever you may try to fix this problem bud Good Luck!

9. #69 Deleted member 578156, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2017
    You could try a program called EaseUS Partition Master for Windows 10 if your not into rebuilding your Windows platform. Identical to the old school Partition Magic program which was for Windows XP, Works great for removing partitions within a windows environment. When you want to be able to work with partitions skies the limit with this program. I own a copy but there is a 30 day trial copy you can download and try to clean up your drive. Good Luck! . If your like me and install Windows on machines like 6 to 8 times a month you`d get sick of installing after awhile and actually try to fix the root problem instead of the easy way by reloading the machine, LOL!

10. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    I did not update anything. For me this was on a clean install using stock rs3 1709.16299.19. I generally clean install any core os updates likes these etc..helps me sleep better at night. haha.

maybe one could boot to win10 setup and jump to cmd and maybe use reg command or something to remove drive mounts. not sure if boot.wim has reg.exe or not though.

11. Wow that`s weird, So a forth partition is being placed in there during install by windows. Have you tried scanning your drive for a boot sector virus? Not saying that your drive has a virus but something is not right here and to what your say to me it is sounding like it could be virus activity.

13. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    I used the whole disk of a 256gb ssd. mbr/bootsect based virus are few and far between in my world it at all. I let windows partition it automatically if I recall. this particular computer I believe is booting in BIOS/Legacy mode. It didnt bother me much as I just removed the mounted drive letter. Im not sure why windows automatically feels the need to assign a drive letter to it. I was just simply sharing how I worked around/dealt with the problem. :)

14. Imkruzen

Imkruzen MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    For me it broke "Sleep". Won't come out of sleep. Have to reboot. Hibernate, nah, don't work either. Also tried to get into advanced start up. Reboots when I tried to open it. Went back to version prior 1703 (OS Build 15063.674). Works beauty. Delayed the feature update for 90 daze. Piece of chit so far. Tryin to be like apple with the iFones. Gotta have the latest. Moar companies movin out of Micro$oft operating systems.

15. juzz

juzz MDL Member

Jun 28, 2008
    #75 juzz, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    anyone know fix for black screen on boot? Happens if i connect/enable any other HDD besides OS drive..

EDIT: other drives are connected to same sata controller as OS drive and are shown on bios (when ports are enabled). So the controller should work fine. And it worked fine with all drives before upgrading to 1709.
    Also tried updating sata drivers without success..

EDIT2: It actually seems the update killed either one of my older HDDs or one of the sata ports in my MOBO. 3 of 4 HDDs connected boots fine. Gona try moving drives around to see if its port or hdd.

Bit weird time for HDD to die tho and bios still lists the hdd connected.

EDIT3: It seems the boot after upgrade killed the hdd. Seems to kinda work when I hotswap it after windows is booted. So I can probably salvage most of the important data.

16. Imkruzen

Imkruzen MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011

Did you try from CMD prompt to check the disk?
    CHKDSK x: /F /R would perform a full scan (including bad sectors) and attempt to fix them.

17. bigcid10

bigcid10 MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2008
    My sound card's 7.1 setting revert to 2.0 every reboot
    I tried changing sound cards
    asus essence stx II 7.1
    realtek al1220 7.1,5.1
    if I shut down it will stick ,but every restart it reverts to 2.0(stereo)

windows 10 1709
    gigabyte aorus gaming 7
    intel i7-7820
    asus essence stx II 7.1
    realtek alc1220 7.1,5.1

already was instructed by
    Kem Mon from Microsoft to do a CLEAN BOOT
    no change
    already was instructed by
    Kem Mon from Microsoft to do a inplace repair upgrade as well
    no avail

Has anyone else had this issue,any advice,fixes ?
    Thank you

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. aladdin2006

aladdin2006 MDL Junior Member

Feb 28, 2013
    #78 aladdin2006, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    FCU is working like a charm. Too stable, too good. :clap3::thumbsup:

19. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    There were/are zero issues with PfW on my Lenovo P71 and desktop Workstation, but it seems like Applications are quite problematic on various systems wherein they will not open, or close immediately.

They also fail to update on their own unless I force them it to update using a PowerShell WMIObject function I wrote solely for that. At first I thought it was due to me side-loading some system-specific apps into an offline.wim but I ruled that out with a fresh and full install (without any offline modifications, too).

It's odd because these problems arose only when the update was publicly released and none of this occurred during the Insider Builds.

20. juzz

juzz MDL Member

Jun 28, 2008
    I managed to salvage everything important after hot swapping it after boot.

It was old smallish HDD I had been thinking to remove anyways. Just had been too lazy to move files earlier. Not going to use it anymore even if it might still work.