[DISCUSSION] Problems on Windows 10 (1709 RS3) "Fall Creators Update" (16299)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by tbnitz, Oct 18, 2017.

1. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    In RS3.

It was not deleted in RS2 at all.

2. N0t1s

N0t1s MDL Junior Member

Apr 30, 2015
    Hi everyone,

Another issue after updating to FCU 16299.19: You can't rename files or folders in small icon view. Has somebody else experienced this problem?

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You are not alone and this is not just your problem. That is really the case.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. JoseRichardson

JoseRichardson MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2017
    • Reset Corrupt Thumbnail Cache Folder
    Press Win+R keys together to launch RUN dialog box, then type following string in RUN box and press Enter: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer Replace Username with your correct Windows user account name. If the above trick doesn't work for you. Type appdata in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open AppData folder. Now go to "Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" folder.
    Once you open Explorer folder, select all files/folders present inside it and delete them.

• Prevent Disk Cleanup Utility from Deleting Thumbnail Cache
    • Disable Automatic Maintenance Service

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Problem with CD/DVD on Windows 10 Pro 1709

As the title said!

Tech Data:
    • Mainboard: Gigabyte GA990FXA-D3 Rev. 1.1
    • CPU: AMD FX 4130
    • Memory: Corsair DDR3 1600 (run on 1333) 8 GB
    • HDD: 5 Drive SATA3
    • DVD: 1 Super Multi SATA, or BD Super Multi Blue
    Here the story:
    Every SATA 3 Port (6 x) works with any HDD connected
    NONE SATA3 Port (6 X) works with any CD/DVD/BD!
    The BIOS see any Optical drive (CD/DVD/BD) connected and will boot from it from within the BIOS! I tested with several different SATA Data Cable incl. new Cables, as well as different Power Cable and even use the Optical drive with extra PSU, none of them will work or even recognized by Windows Device Manager!

I checked all BIOS Settings several time and also changed from Native IDE to AHCI, still the Optical will works from BIOS, but Windows 10!

Anyone has any idea what could be the problem? Thanks for any polite answer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm thinking, the problem is simply with Windows 10! Because the Optical drives work with no problems from within the BIOS, booting to a Life Linux (Debian) DVD: No problem, booting Windows 7 PE: NO problem, Hiren CD: NO problem!

As I thinking to get a SATA-Controller tomorrow, to try the CD/DVD/BD via that one, I'm not sure that will work from within Windows 10! I have an ASMEDIA SATA3 Controller and could not get to work that one on any Windows 10 Version!! So, I'll look for a SIL SATA2 Controller, which is good enough for CD/DVD/BD!

Edit: Forget to mention, the Windows 10 install was a clean install via USB, May i also like to try a clean install via DVD again?!

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  9. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    have you tried to install a windows 8.1 driver from Gigabyte by disabling! driver signature in windows 10?
    Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > System > Advanced system settings > Hardware > Device Installation Settings > select no in latest windows 10 build.
    btw I got many old hardware drives installation in various PC´s with these method.

10. LoverOfLove

LoverOfLove MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    have you done system file integrity check
    run cmd as admin and paste
    Code:
    sfc /scannow

11. DeathStalker77

DeathStalker77 MDL Addicted

Nov 8, 2009
    Question - I tried updating to 1709 with Windows Update (with AV off) and it repeatedly failed - Update Fall Creators 1709 error - Error 0x80070020. I'm trying now with the Media Creator. Anything else I should try or be wary of if this fails?

I seriously do not want to do a clean install at this point.

Thanks!

12. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If Your current version is not damaged, there isn't any special update restrictions currently set up by You or by Your admin, You have normal internet connection and download speed is also normal, should not be any problems to upgrade.
    I have did it by myself and everything works. Some apps and programs is are anyway needed to reinstall after and also some settings needs to changed.
    Now, after November update seems mostly working, but some problems still is. Let they be, they aren't very annoying.
    I recommend to check current installation, and if needed, repair it before upgrading.

13. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Well the MC update apprears to be running ok. Hoping it doesn't change too many settings or break any programs (at least 1703 didn't). Will post an update when it is complete :)

14. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Well the MC Updater seems to have done the trick - HOWEVER, now I get no response from the START button at all, I click it (right or left) and it just dims :(

15. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Running the MS Start Menu Troubleshooter now .......

================

Seems to be taking an awful long time on "Repairing the tile database"......... :(

16. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Well, isn't that just sweet. I finally just hit cancel - now after a reboot - I get nothing but a blank black screen. Will try safe mode..... (starting to piss me off!)

17. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    I have 64gb RAM installed onmy x99 system (ASUS Sabertooth X99) - previously it was detected, now the (new) SYSTEM page only shows 32gb ....

Any ideas? Or do I just try to roll back to 1703?

18. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Ok, so here's what I had to do to fix it - run PowerShell in Admin, stop Explorer, which will then restart, then I also used Task Manager to Restart Explorer. Then right-click on the Start button to re-start. Now things seem back to "normal" ..... at least for now. (It still reports only 32gb RAM, as I mentioned in my other post)