[DISCUSSION] Problems on Windows 10 (1709 RS3) "Fall Creators Update" (16299)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by tbnitz, Oct 18, 2017.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Had forgotten about! Thanks for the reminder!

I just tried that and it didn't work either!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    When Win10 first came out I had to do firmware updates on my LG optical drives for them to work. They had no issue previously with Win7 or 8.1.
    I remember PowerDVD had to be updated as well as it wouldn't run stating something about a security issue...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    Thank you, but windows not let me delete all files in "Explorer" folder.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    OK, let me explain again:
    1. While hard boot the machine, BIOS has the inserted DVD/CD/BD listed in its available Drive List
    2. a boot from a bootable CD/DVD is no problem, works well with different OS'es
    3. The full boot to Windows 10 didn't 'see' any optical drive on what SATA port even that drive is connected
    4. the Device Manager didn't show any CD/DVD/BD
    5. using new SATA Data Cable didn't work either
    6. using an extra PSU for the optical drive, not work
    7. what works is an external USB DVD Drive
    So, the conclusion from that simply is: the problem is Windows related! Any CD/DVD/BD drive I use works well on any of the other computers, this problem maybe is strictly related to the GA-990FXA UD3 Mainboard, just the CD/DVD/BD works fully from BIOS and is also listed at the BIOS Drive List!

But I found out today, that on another AMD Machine, I've got the same problem with not working DVD Drive. That machine has a different CPU, other Mainboard, other Graphics Card!

I already ordered 2 SATA PCIExpress Cards, will get them next week.

The only clue what I could see is, that problem is AMD CPU related.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Then Windows 10 is deprecating DVD usage... And no one is aware of.

:tooth:

6. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    just rename them and reboot

7. DeathStalker77

DeathStalker77 MDL Addicted

Nov 8, 2009
    After the upgrade to 1709, I can't get the Start Menu to work. Have run the Troubleshooter - it found no issues; ran SFC, no issues; restarted Explorer from Task Manager, didn't work.

Exceedingly frustrated and pi$$ed off at this point.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help :)

8. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    #129 DeathStalker77, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    I will correct what I last posted - after a wonderful crash (DCP_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION), nothing I do gets the Start Menu back. Troubleshoots runs fine, but finds no problems. (also posted this in a separate thread before I saw this one, I expect it will get moved here as well :) )

I anyone has some answers, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have *far* too much installed to really want to do a full clean install :(

====
    Any yes, I even tried booting into Safe Mode and back - no effect.

9. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    #130 DeathStalker77, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    To top it off, the blasted SOUND button no longer works either - I used to just click it and have a menu to select my audio playback from, now I get nothing, no response at all.

This has GOT to be M$' biggest f*up since Vista ..... unbelievable .......

======================

So I'm trying the Windows PowerShell command, and it just hangs on -
    Deployment operation progress: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.BioEnrollment_cw5n1h2txyewy\AppXManifest.xml
    Initialized

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Maybe?! Unfortunately, I've quite some bunch of Data on BD's! And I normally use the BD Double Layer (50GB) Medias for Backups! My BD drive is internal SATA, not external.

11. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Ok, having now exhausted every option I can find, and getting no responses here :(

What is the NEW appropriate ISO to download for x64 PRO? (KMS Activation)

Thanks.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    NOT a Thanks to whom merged my thread into this one!! Instead to merge my thread, which is for a very special problem of the use, or better not to be able to use CD\DVD\BD drives in Windows 10, Mods and/or Admins should take a closer look at posts with accusations, off-topic content and so on and remove those, just that seems to be to much work!

Sorry, I didn't like this!

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just of interest: Has anyone with an AMD CPU problems with Windows 10 1709, special not recognizing any CD/DVD/BD Drive, connected to the Mainboard?

Thanks for info!

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Could you please provide your Hardware spec? MB, CPU etc., etc.!

15. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    I'm letting it run, but it doesn't look like it's doing anything. And no way to roll back, as there are no restore points (even though there were ones created before the upgrade). The upgrade seems to have wiped them out. :(

I'll try re-booting into safe mode in a bit and see if this troubleshooter runs there (friggin' Start Menu works just fine in Safe Mode) .....

16. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Mobo is Sabertooth X99 i7-6850k not OC, 64gb RAM (though Win only reports 32gb after the update). All drivers are updated, per Station-Drivers.

17. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
  18. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Well it's worth a shot anyway, worst comes to worst. Troubleshooter is STILL running. Will let it run while I clear off more space in case I actually do need to re-install.