[DISCUSSION] Problems on Windows 10 (1709 RS3) "Fall Creators Update" (16299)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by tbnitz, Oct 18, 2017.

1. DeathStalker77

DeathStalker77 MDL Addicted

Nov 8, 2009
    Well just peachy keen .... mucked about with it trying a few more things, then rebooted and suddenly there was "something wrong" with my ethernet adapter. It was fine before the last re-boot. I get a blinking light (as normal) from the port, and the driver has been uninstalled, reinstalled. The device has been deleted and re-detected, and yet STILL no connection. If it's not one bleeding thing, it's another ......

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    I might try it, but I think the port has legitimately gone out. I tried swapping cables, no luck, but now the port light isn't even blinking. I'll call Asus on Monday and see if they'll agree to do a cross/advance ship to replace it so I don't have any downtime. Worst case scenario, it has a 2nd LAN port - but it's dust plugged right now, and I will literally have to tear the unit apart to remove the plug from the inside (and this is a Cosmos II case - basically the largest thing you can buy :( )

Tonight is just not my night. Fortunately I have a wireless adapter for emergencies such as this .

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm just now trying to install 1709 on an old ASUS MB with AMD CPU FX4100 directly. Upfront I installed 8.1 from DVD, using a BD Drive and that installed well.

I do that for to see if I could get the optical drive showing if I do a clean install of 1709! That Old MB is as least as old as the others, which didn't let me 'see' any optical drive 0n 1709. Now I use a USB Stick and if that makes Problems again , I'll burn a DVD with 1709 and try that again!

Will report back!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    So, I can't install 1709 on that ASUS MB! 8.1 was just going well but 1709!!

So, will wait for the SATA controllers to arrive next week.

6. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    #146 cuteee, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    It's not working. Thumbnail cache keep deleted. I think only MS can fix that, like they did in RS2.

7. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    #147 DeathStalker77, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Ok, so it wasn't the port after all - it was a messed up upgrade of Comodo that did it. POS. Had to do a complete wipe and fresh install. NOW have a new problem - never seen before.

In Device Manager, for the SATA ports (IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers), it *used* to have the same 2 values (something generic), now it has 2 separate values -

Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
    and
    Intel(R) C610 series/X99 chipset sSATA AHCI Controller - 8D62

Computer, instead of listing AHCI, lists ACPI x64-based PC.

NOTHING in the BIOS has changed.

According to the mobo layout, it is SATA ports 7, 8, 9, & 10 that are affected.

Again, thanks for any assistance!
    ==================
    Well, what a pain. I just kept trying drivers and re-booting, now things *seem* back to "normal", all drives now accessible. This is the MOST f'd up upgrade/re-install I've ever had to go through.

8. Senjanov

Senjanov MDL Member

Jul 29, 2011
    #148 Senjanov, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    you can try rollback any drivers are downloading automatically.. some rare case the driver seems bad to old mobo..
    like mine,, so getting driver from manufacture even it old.. but it stable and my mobo safe.. I'll use that..

before this bluetooth driver automatically updated but I see list in device manager,,, some .inf or else.. I see "unknown", why should I keep that driver,, so rollback and install driver from manufacture website..

I keep it that way.. dont touch(download/updating)..I dont want if updating there will be "new problem"
    driver.PNG

9. bigcid10

bigcid10 MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2008
    you need to to have someone else install your OS as your going to hurt yourself.
    There's nothing wrong with 1709,The problem is You
    your whole situation is user error

10. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    No offense taken ! this one is clean if you know what you are doing ;)

11. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    Actually, IOBit's is probably the best all-in-one driver update program there is. Even the free version has little-to-no ads and certainly no spyware. For anyone missing a lot of drivers, or unsure whether there are any driver updates for them to improve performance, I'd point in IOBit's direction.

12. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    Ended up fixing the issue with applications. Seemed like the automatic updating task was not triggering, so I wrote a small PShell script to do it manually which fixed Store.

For the dumb Lenovo apps (since they moved away from real programs), I used Wireshark to get the URI of the actual appx packages as they were downloading from the store, and then manually downloaded the packages, dependencies, licenses, etc. and sideloaded the apps into the system. Seems like certain apps from the store do not contain all required dependencies with it.

13. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    still, i wouldn't pay to get drivers updated, like i wouldn't pay for AV software, all those software apps that claim to update, optimise, clean etc should be blacklisted. They just aren't needed when one could just either download the drivers from official sites (intel, realtek, nvidia, amd etc) or one of few decent driver archives like station drivers or tousles drivers.

a good windows experience is one with as little junk running in the background as possible.

14. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    First if all it is an free version and second it is not running in the background ! May I suggest that you read or invest before you react on software that people point out here ;)

15. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    I can't seem to win with this 1709 update - everything was fine, until I re-booted - now the Start Menu is gone again. I've tried using the PowerShell command to re-install Windows apps, but it seems to hang on the 1st item - it's been like this for over an hour.

I changed AV/Firewall, so no Comodo interference this time.

If I try running PS again with the command - Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

I just get Initializing

WTF???!!!!
    :(

Attached Files:

16. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    I found solution to stop thumbnail cache from deleting automatically, but I want wait couple days to see if it works and then I post the solution here.

17. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    What it means "Start Menu Unavailable" ?
    1. Isn't at all available or
    2. it doesn't open or
    3. it opens, but doesn't work?
    But - Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    This PowerShell command is for apps registration, but not for Windows default apps reinstalling.

18. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    #159 DeathStalker77, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    No response from the button at all. *Sometimes* the right-click menu will come up.

========================

No, on occasion, I can left-click, then right-click a couple times, the pattern (literally) varies) and it will come up - but sometimes BOTH menus will come up. Even then, when something is selected from the Start Menu, it doesn't drop back down, you have to re-click (left) on the Start Button again to get it to go away. Yes, I tried Restore to the point it was last working, that changed nothing.

19. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If it opens even once, there is no error in the menu itself, but Windows needs to be cleaned. Then it only responds slownly. Maybe something also runs background, downloading some app update etc. If you used the Windows Update system to install the new version, this is completely normal.
    Wait until all updates (including apps) have been updated, then clean. Certainly there are a lot of outdated registry keys etc.