[DISCUSSION] Server 2022 LTSC (21H2) 20348.1 (fe_release)

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Enthousiast, Mar 2, 2021.

And what is the name of this program?

1. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
  2. zbigniew59

zbigniew59 MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2016
    #964 zbigniew59, Mar 29, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    Excuse me, but how to do - RamMap Cleanup?
    I downloaded this program, but I do not know how to do it?
    I'm sorry - I'm trying to learn - something new for me.

3. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Search engines are still your friends on basic questions like this.

Anyway use the empty menu, and click on each item in sequence (or use a batch with all the command line "empty" options)

4. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    >Search engines are still your friends on basic questions like this.

And maybe you should use google translate ? Its not very good but it isnt bad mannered , dissrespectfull , condescending or arogant .

5. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    You are still suffering from micropenis syndrome , isn't it?

Your stalker behavior is both unforgivable and inexplicable.

No one force you to like me, just skip my messages, and as I already said many times, grow up and start behaving like an adult.

6. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Frankly I see little point automating it.

After all if windows uses the RAM, there is a reason.

I see the rammap usage as a handy tool when a VM won't start because the ram or a situation like that.

Whatever, if you really like to do that automatically, like I said above, everything can be done by command line (just type rammap.exe /?), create a batch then use it via the task scheduler, or with more sophisticated rules using something like the powerful yet easy to use Eventghost.

7. ch100

ch100 MDL Addicted

Sep 11, 2016
    Use the Empty menu but please be aware that the RAM released has to go somewhere which in this case except for the standby list should be the page file.

8. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    It's called "empty" and not "transfer" or "optimize" or "whatever" for a reason.
    The ram emptied will be reused when really needed during the normal OS usage v.s. taken in advance as the OS normally do, to speedup things or allocated and not released by programs previously launched.
    Just test it with pagefile.sys=0. The mileage varies depending the OS (sever/client) and the programs that had been launched since the uptime, but it mostly works.

9. ch100

ch100 MDL Addicted

Sep 11, 2016
    If you are familiar with Windows Memory Management you will notice that the applications tend to reserve more memory than they need and will ever use, the so-called "working set". There is a very good article somewhere on the web where it explains that RAM and hard disk mapping are the same thing in terms of memory management - obviously performance would be different. So the working set might be flushed by RAMMap, but will eventually get rebuilt almost immediately either in RAM or in the page file.
    The memory not released by previous programs is the one in stand-by and it is true that will be recovered and completely emptied, but this is the only one.

10. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Practical example:

Deduplication. It takes great amount of RAM (although a fraction of the RAM used by filesystems where the deduplication is done on the fly, and not by a scheduled task, like ZFS).

Depending of the situation you may want to dedupe once or twice a day. That RAM used by dedup is never returned, and that may prevent the start of VMs.

Rammap used after the dedup task will free the large amount of ram allocated by dedup, and that ram is not reclaimed back until the dedup task starts again.

And no, the large part is not freed by "working set", is freed by standby list and system standby list (if I remember correctly).

Like I said the mileage varies depending the specific situation, but in that specific case a good share of what you are writing is not applicable.

The ram is not reclaimed immediately, "working sets" is not the main source of freed ram, and nobody cares if a task that normally takes (say) 15 min will take a minute more because FS things needs to be (re)cached.

As I wrote before Rammap is not doing any miracle, but can be VERY effective and useful, if used in the right situation and with some common sense.

After all Russinovich is one of the people who knows better the inner gears of Windows OS, and if he wrote that tool he did it for a reason.

11. Rataplan

Rataplan MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2017
    Free memory is useless memory ;)

12. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

Thats a premade said that means next to nothing.

According to this logic, money closed in a bank is useless money, personally I feel more comfortable when my bank account has a lot of zeros after the first digits. ;)

Free memory used for non essential things, is a good thing IF the OS (and the surrounding applications) are smart enough to release it when needed for something else.

In a perfect world that's what happens, in real windows world that happens sometimes.

In short free memory is anything but useless.

13. ch100

ch100 MDL Addicted

Sep 11, 2016
    :cool:

14. ch100

ch100 MDL Addicted

Sep 11, 2016
    Those who say that free memory is useless believe that the memory used for caching is released instantly without any lag when required for something else. I tested multiple times and it is certainly not the case in Windows OS. It may be useful to cache to the full extent lets say for servers running only background processes without using the GUI for administration or other purpose, but anywhere where interactive use is required, free memory is more than useful.

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #980 Enthousiast, Apr 12, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    (OP)