[DISCUSSION] SolusOS

Discussion in 'Linux' started by R29k, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    perfect solution...no, because for those you have to be online during installation.[/QUOTE]

No, the additional software was within the ISO image or contained in a second image [dial up/early BB era]. Lately you have to be online but isn't everyone now? You have to have some sort of internet connection for either and if not its hardly worth having a PC these days.

2. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #202 ipx, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2022

3. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Anyone can have a PC, Laptop, Tablet or mobile phone if they wish, their just not much use if they don't connect with the outside world. You can watch DVDs through your TV but your not getting great value for money if you don't have an aerial or sat dish.
    Who gets free fast unlimited data? Where does privilege come into it? Hardware comes at a cost and so does an internet connection, anyone anywhere on the planet can get an internet connection with the right kit, its all a matter of choice.

4. Kekikage

Kekikage MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2020
    For those curious about this distro, core team has released last Saturday a snapshot of Solus 4 AKA Fortitude.
    getsol.us/2020/01/25/solus-4-1-released/
    A well needed ISO refresh.

5. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    Noticed it, tried it, didn't like it.
    There is no minimal install option available, they used to provide tools for creating custom ISO but when people started sharing custom ISOs they removed access to the tools.
    Seems that the package manager in Solus is not great at removing unneeded dependencies, someone on another forum wrote that it lists used dependencies as unneeded.
    I love Budgie DE but Solus is not for me in its current state.

6. Kekikage

Kekikage MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2020
    Yeah I can totally understand why you don't like it.
    I came back on Windows as Solus doesn't work well on my latest laptop and frankly, i got bored of tweaking stuff all the time and having a borked 3rd party section.
    I still use it in a VM however as I isolate some stuff i don't want on my host. I'd still use Debian if I had too though.

Regarding dependencies, it only manages NEEDED ones when you install something, and it's lame tbh.

I salute the project however, overall it works okay and does the job :)

7. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #207 ipx, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2022

8. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    Thx but I already use Arch Linux and loving it. I like Budgie and I wanted to give Solus a go since the same devs are developing Budgie and it should work best on Solus.
    Not a fan of Ubuntu, used it in the past when I was a noob at Linux because it is user friendly and perhaps has the best availability of drivers and software since many software provides a deb file and you can add repos. Not a fan of KDE either, never was, but I give it a thumbs up for having good HiDPI support like Gnome does.

9. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    Hey im testing solos 4.1 gnome in hyper v
    and i cant login with live user
    leaving the password blank just looping back
    or cant find the right password

10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Should try gnome 40 it's quite good. Well it has to be since it went 30 odd versions up :tooth:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...