[DISCUSSION] SolusOS

Discussion in 'Linux' started by R29k, Sep 3, 2015.

1. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ok dude for me seem very good o.s. thanks for the heads up :) I am new in this area here but wait me :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I have just installed this OS, its really nice and stable but I am having problems with my printer. I finally got it running, it prints ok, I can scan with simple scan but I cant find a utility that will work with Freya to monitor my ink cartridges, I cant replace them or clean the print heads. This is a down to the new style Epson Printer [XP-225], the older printers could be controlled through the printer controls but this one has non, it all has to be done via the OS:mad:

Any suggestions?

4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  5. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :31:Linux support sucks, maybe because there are a grand total of 25 people using it in the world.

6. Ehtrakiyushi

Ehtrakiyushi Guest

I use Ubuntu and Debian.

7. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
  8. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I was distro hopping for a while too, tried over 20 distros and none ever felt right like Elementary. I like Solus as second to Elementary. I think Linux needs another 5-10 years to compete completely with Windows. With the one step forward and 2 steps backwards approach that Windows has, it might take less time.

9. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I am beginning to wonder if this is all a waste of time. The teams behind these distros are starting to charge for their work and so are the people behind the apps, by the time Linux is truly on par with Windows will it be any different?:g:

10. Rearis

Rearis MDL Member

Nov 29, 2014
    Use Ubuntu, is the most supported, popular and optimized (like Steam games) distro.

And have a company behind.

11. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    I don't blame them, they spend a lot of time behind their software, why shouldn't they ask for something in return ?

12. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    True but where will it end?

It would seem that spyware is embedded in Linux, all be it to a lesser extent, and the BIOS of your chosen machine. In 5-10 years will there be anything to differentiate Linux from Microsoft and Apple? Even now Android is just a cash magnet up there with all the rest.

I have been waiting for a long time for Linux to become a contender but I am pessimistic of the final outcome:fear:

13. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    By the time it becomes a contender the PC may be long dead. And Android is the only popular Linux around.

14. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #56 Antilope, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    The PC has been around for about 30 years. I don't think it's going anywhere. Yes there are additional tools like tablets and phones, but try to do a full sized business spreadsheet or your tax return on a tablet or phone and print it then get back to me. :D For business use, a laptop is the bare minimum or a large tablet with a keyboard.
    There is a place for each of them.

As for a Windows replacement, to me Linux Mint Cinnamon is the closest. Ubuntu Unity is too different and off putting as a desktop environment for the average Windows user. Linux Mint Cinnamon has a large user base a lot of ongoing support and regular security updates and its desktop looks and operates a lot like MS Windows. There is also a good Linux Mint user forum for online support.

Ubuntu as an MS Windows replacement would also be fine with a different desktop substituted like Cinnamon, MATE, etc. It's a more familiar desktop interface for a newbie coming from MS Windows than Unity. Ubuntu also has a large user base and regular security updates. There is also a good Ubuntu user forum for online support.

I don't trust smaller Linux distros like for instance Elementary OS when it comes to long term support, etc. I fear you will end up with an orphaned system at some point.

15. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    They are all Ubuntu based, Ubuntu is bloated and annoying and so are all the flavors of Mint, in most cases [with Ubuntu based distros] its just a matter of taste. Elementary is the easiest and most light weight, if I have a problem I just look on a Mint or Ubuntu forum, the problems and solutions are identical 99% of the time.

As for the death of the PC, most of the people I know that ditched their desktop PC for tablets and laptops are going back to a PC. Nothing can compete with a decent sized screen with a keyboard and mouse. Gimmicky toys come and go but the PC will be around for a long time yet.

16. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Ubuntu is decent if you use Mate, the Unity version sucks just as much as Mint. Also in relation to PC, I fear the idea is to push people to become a terminal connected to the cloud.

17. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I took a quick look at Solus the other night, it looks very polished. Regarding Ubuntu with Mate, their is a project called Ubuntu Mate, are you using that or just applying the Mate theme to a standard Ubuntu installation?

You are probably right regarding cloud based systems, I hope it doesn't happen.

Thanks for the tutorial on page 1, very helpful:cheers:

18. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Talking about Ubuntu MATE , very light distro.