[DISCUSSION] The Best Browsers For Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Hadron-Curious, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Open does not have almost any of the features I have mentioned, but it has got a nice scripted GUI, which crashes all the time.

Attached Files:

2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Open?:g:

Anyway what has to do an Opium's screenshot with Vivaldi I'm talking about?

Anyway I can say everything about Opium except the stability. I keep it installed since the day it was released few years ago and it's rock solid

3. qwerty12

qwerty12 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2010
    #23 qwerty12, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  4. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I can see Yandex on your Taskbar. It seems to be popular with eastern Europeans. I will try to test it on Windows 10 Education later on.

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

You're really right to be reluctant, Chrome isn't anything but a giant spyware just like an untouched W10 Pro.

So why not use something which is already mostly cleaned like Vivaldi, or at least Chromium, which shares the same ugly UI but is less intrusive than Chrome?

The vivaldi coders spent more than one year removing privacy harmful features and code from Chromium's sources.

Trying to do the same as end user and starting from Chrome is just futile.

6. qwerty12

qwerty12 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2010
    I'm actually in agreement with you for the most part. For now, Vivaldi is not as snappy as I'd like. I do wish the Vivaldi team good luck with their work, as I'm mulling a move to Vivaldi in the future (when I tried it, I actually liked what I saw in terms of features), but I also can't get over my dislike of desktop stuff using Web technologies - my first computer that I had for many years was a Pentium III 733 MHz machine with 128 MB RAM. The thing is, .NET, if it wasn't already popular - my memory doesn't stretch back that far, was gaining traction with a lot of applications at the time and it made my computing life hell. It's a view I cannot compel myself to get rid of. And I've tried embracing the future so many times.

As for Chromium, Google only put out binary builds that are equivalent to Canary builds of Chrome. With browsers, my rule is stable versions only. Also, for h.264 etc. video, you need a build of it that supports FFMPEG, something Google's builds do not. I'm not quite ready to trust a random guy/gal providing such builds :)

Since I've already put a lot of time into what I can think of my end, I'm just sticking with the sheitan I know...

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I don't think I ever used a browser labeled as stable since the first public release of Opera Next more than a decade ago. Never had a single major problem.

Only recently there was a single Vivaldi snapshot that had an obscure bug that affected a tiny percentage of users (me included) because some missing features in a minority of Intel and AMD CPUs. But that was just unusable for the affected people

The advantage of using the web technologies is to avoid to rewrite the UI on each port. The disadvantage is obviously a slightly less snappy UI.

Anyway when Vivaldi was released for the first time was really slow if compared with Opium, but nowadays is perfectly usable and snappy enough.

Obviously you have to take the weekly snapshot from vivaldi.net not the old builds from vivaldi.com to correctly evaluate it.

8. jose_marino

jose_marino Guest

Vivaldi is slow as fu*king s*it.

9. Rudi1

Rudi1 MDL Member

May 30, 2007
    I use Pale moon about one year and I like it!;)

10. coolstar

coolstar MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2010
    I use IE for daily motion video only because Firefox has buffering hiccups problem all time I don't know why anybody have any solution for?

11. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Do you have the Flash plugin installed in Firefox or are you viewing HTML5 video?

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Thanks for your "brilliant" contribution :D

13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

That question is not enough nowadays.

In html5, especially in youtube, some browser are served with the Vp9 viodos and some with Mp4/h264 ones.

You can force them with dedicated extensions like h264ify for vivaldi.

That changes a lot, given usually the h264 codecs are HW accelerated at os level while the Vp8/9 are not.

14. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    Yes, but in Firefox on Windows with the OpenH264 codec from Cisco installed by default, I've not seen it being served anything other than H.264 streams. Do you get VP9 streams from YT in Firefox without any appropriate decoder plugin installed?

15. jose_marino

jose_marino Guest

#35 jose_marino, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016

• You can get around this by using a system wide variable in a shortcut. Something like %CHROMIUM_FLAGS%
      This will give you unlimited number of flags. I've been using this for a while now. :tasty:
      You can even find NSA deployment guide for Chrome. Has some nice tricks inside. :cool:

16. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    I vote for Vivaldi !

17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Chromium based browser (Vivaldi included), gets the VP9 version, if available. The real Opera, IE and Edge gets the h264 version.

Opera (both the real one and Opium) Vivaldi, IE and Edge are using the system's codec to play the proprietary formats when they are the only choice available or if forced to use them, (under windows) they use the stock msmepeg2vdec.dll and msmpeg2adec.dll, hence those videos comes accelerated if the system provides the acceleration.

I have no idea about what happens in FF, Palemoon and derivatives. I don't use them.

18. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    My post was restricted to FF since after all that's what coolstar (whom I replied to) is facing a problem with. about:support says FF on my system supports Hardware H264 Decoding, so unless coolstar has really low-end graphics hardware it should work for him too (especially since IE11 can handle the same video stream on the same hardware).

19. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

If FF uses OpenH264 isn't said. It's a different codec than system's one and really I don't know it's actual status/capabilities.

It was discussed as a possible choice for Vivaldi but a number of technical drawbacks and it's not so clear legal status pushed to look elsewhere.

20. mubaidr

mubaidr MDL Junior Member

Dec 8, 2010
    It does work for me, maybe it is not available in your location yet?