[DISCUSSION] The Best Browsers For Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Hadron-Curious, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    In your view it is understandable as you have cautiously explained the reasons why you like Vivaldi. Do you think it is lightweight enough to be used in a system with minimal resources?

2. MEDFAX

MEDFAX MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2015
    I spent a week trying all browsers with their available addons
    my choice is based on speed and bookmarks management

1. centBrowser (enhanced version of chrome)
    2. Opera + v7 Bookmarks addon

3. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Actually I did not cautiously explain the reasons, only said -for obvious reasons-.
    Lightweight is not my primary concern as my system is fast enough.
    You mention minimal resources, it is worth noting that all chromium-based browsers need certain CPU instructions (SSE2) that some processors lack, namely the early Athlon XP CPU's.
    Having said that, if your first concern is finding a browser that runs on a system with "minimal resources" there may be other browsers besides Vivaldi that will suit you better.
    Although for me, having somewhere between 50-70 tabs open doesn't affect my system in terms of performance. Sufficient memory is important here.

For me, the obvious reasons to use Vivaldi are
    - Compatibility provided by chromium platform
    - Not so spyware ridden as Google's own Chrome
    - Fast development
    - Bug reports and feature requests are seriously looked at by the devs
    - Can be customized, colors, tab bar, address bar, mouse gestures and so on

Cheers.

4. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Most Windows computers come with 4GB RAM and using other applications along with a resource-consuming browser is going to slow activities down. Mind you I am speaking for myself and it possibly applies to the larger group of people using Windows 10. My argument on the need for lightweight browsers become clear when buying non-upgradable system hardware.

Indeed, apart from Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer and Firefox all other browsers are based on the Chromium project(if I am right) which is open source like the Linux adopted by most operating systems out there. Meaning most people who use them are going to experience SSE2 the CPU high consuming part. Relating that with Windows 10 being a modern operating system there is need for modern browsers to complement it in contemporary world. That I have also looked into when choosing the best browsers. Vivaldi is not lightweight enough for me in the first place. Not that I don't like it but it is mostly about UI customization(possibly using some of the system resources to achieve that) rather what have been the over-exaggerated part of what it is capable of doing. That is, there are possibly lack of important features you can see in other heavyweight browsers like built-in pdf reader(or as an extension created by the browser developers), share feature, etc and it uses third-party extensions by Google Chrome people see as intrusive in a nutshell. Even UCBrowser I chose along side Microsoft Edge depended on Google Chrome store for extensions but others as well. I am in no way saying it is better than Vivaldi.

Thank you for finally listing your points on the reasons why you use Vivaldi which I expected in your earlier post. Some explanations would be highly appreciated though.

5. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    I'm going to say for general sites, I find IE works pretty good besides the bugs.... it's IE and Firefox for me. Edge is a POS right now, maybe when it gets to version 10, maybe it will be better. It's got a long way to go before it's an every day browser....

Although I do use IE...I tend to reset it back to factory at least once a month due to the issues with it...

6. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Hope you kidding about Chrome being the best browsers!
    For me i hate Chrome this must be one of the worst.

Firefox is really good. (not saying the best)

Lievre

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Order_66

Order_66 MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2010
    Yandex works good for me on everything.

8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #111 EFA11, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  9. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    #112 Supern00b, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  10. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    He's probably pulling your leg. Yandex is a good browser and I haven't fully tested the features at my own convenience.

11. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010

you got me :biggrin:

I am still on the fence with Yandex. I need more time, but seems to be an ok browser.

12. Order_66

Order_66 MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2010
    Good enough to tell me I need to use IE lol

13. Belarathon

Belarathon MDL Senior Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Whilst loading, perhaps. Certainly no slower than the Firefox gui loads. I've been waiting for Vivaldi to get a bit more snappy, and have been finally rewarded with the release of v1.3. Once the gui is up, I find it actually renders pages faster, or seemingly faster, than any other blink based browser.

14. vipanonymous

vipanonymous MDL Senior Member

Apr 3, 2014
    I think Chrome is the closest to IE, in compatibility. I am a Firefox user I've tried several times to change but just can't get used to Chrome / IE / Edge/ etc... Mozilla sure did some voodoo to keep me.

15. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    A question for those who have suggested browsers like Yandex, CentBrowser, Baidu or Opera...
    Considering they have Russian or Chinese roots, aren't you concerned about privacy or perhaps even bundled malware?

I'm not saying that other browsers are clean, but in my view above mentioned browsers are at greater risk than others.

Cheers.

16. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Obviously this is a point, thrashing google just to go to their Russian or Chinese counterparts isn't surely the best move ever. Even if yandex or maxthon are surely technically better than chrome.