[DISCUSSION] Toggle Windows Defender

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by freddie-o, Feb 2, 2019.

1. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #81 AveYo, Nov 20, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    There's no dilemma, because Krakatoa's simplistic script gets detected by Defender on both 11 and on 10 LTSC 2021 that I just installed on a real machine :roflmao:

edit: Krakatoa's script in the post below no longer suffers the fake-positive fate as the #61 one

So,
    freddie-o wtarkan DC BAU Krakatoa
    no external tools, can just copy-paste in powershell No No Yes No
    clear previous detection logs No No Yes No
    smartscreen Yes ? Yes No
    edge exe download warn off No No Yes No
    cloud protection high No No Yes No
    automatic sample submission off No No Yes No
    PUA protection on No No Yes No
    While useful to prevent yellow mark nagging if disabled, I might remove the last 3 pre-configurations and let users deal with it.
    I've not been recommending ToggleDefender vs other solution just to feed my ego.
    It's just that I have not skipped any steps in order to make to solution be future-proof.
    And so far it has been.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Krakatoa

Krakatoa MDL Addicted

Feb 22, 2011
    #82 Krakatoa, Nov 20, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    @BAU
    I wrote: "wsf vbscript in cmd" and "my recommendation now"
    Code:
    <!-- : Begin batch script

@echo off
    chcp 65001 >nul 2>&1
    pushd "%~dp0"
    whoami /groups | findstr /c:"BUILTIN\Administrators" | findstr /c:" Enabled group" >nul 2>&1 && goto :isadmin
    echo Spusť skript jako admin
    pause
    exit

:isadmin
    whoami /groups | findstr /c:"NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller" | findstr /c:" Enabled group" >nul 2>&1 && goto :isti
    echo Spouštím skript jako TI, čekej...
    NSudoLC -U:T -P:E -Wait -ShowWindowMode:Hide "%~f0"
    echo Provedeno
    pause
    exit

:isti
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\UX Configuration" /v "Notification_Suppress" /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v "DisableAntiSpyware" /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f
    cscript //nologo "%~f0?.wsf" //job:sdstop
    sc config windefend start=demand
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v "DisableAntiSpyware" /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f
    exit

----- Begin wsf script --->

<package>
      <job id="sdstop">
        <script language="VBScript">
          Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\cimv2").ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Service Where Name='windefend'")
          For Each Service in objWMIService
            Service.StopService()
          Next
        </script>
      </job>
    </package>
    Code:
    @echo off
    pushd "%~dp0"
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\UX Configuration" /v "Notification_Suppress" /f
    NET start windefend
    pause

Not detected by Defender.
    Tested on the current Defender.

In the table, I only listed what kind of shutdown I use, I didn't even list the script to use.

I can set up Defender, MRT, SmartScreen and SecurityHealth and etc:
    https://krakatoa.www3.cz/win10aio.php
    (But I haven't checked that in months)

I started responding in this thread because Defender started to detect NET / SC in CMD, later Stop-Service (to use what is not detected if possible).
    And also because it is trivial to add permanent disabling using DisableAntiSpyware.
    I wrote this as advice for freddie-o. I didn't write it as script for everything :)

3. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Well, I tested the #61 post of yours, and that gets detected.
    Make an effort and update your posts here at mdl, crystal balls are in a scarcity so people would not know about your external domain scripts.
    The other points in the comparative still stand, tho ;)

But also to bash a little on ToggleDefender with some stretch about first glance, as if anyone would find text less clear than an external binary, and english harder to comprehend than czech ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Oops :laie:
    @Krakatoa just having fun man/girl

Fwiw I tried your script for 1 month straight by leaving WD disabled. The darn thing never came back to life again.
    Good job.

5. Krakatoa

Krakatoa MDL Addicted

Feb 22, 2011
    #85 Krakatoa, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    #61 is not stop windefend "wsf vbscript in cmd"

Why?
    #61 was help/info for freddie-o. I have help scripts on the web that I use. In the table, I only listed the method that I like the most. It was not necessary to state the code, I only stated it as info, and specifically because vbscript is not detected now (windefend service off) so if a programmer wants to use it, he can ( = the programmer will definitely know what it means: "stop windefend" "wsf vbscript in cmd").
    I here or on the web do not want to have a script in the sense of use for users like you or freddie-o or wtarkan.

my recommendation now
    detected by Defender No
    no external tools, can just copy-paste in powershell Not necessary
    clear previous detection logs Not necessary
    smartscreen Disable
    edge exe download warn off Not necessary
    cloud protection high Not necessary
    automatic sample submission off Not necessary
    PUA protection on Not necessary
    Notification Disable
    Anything else you want to know?

Sometimes it is difficult to answer some questions (Mr.X) :)
    But what I wrote is true in my opinion.
    #61 is simple and you know what it does at first glance. It is not clear at first glance in your script how stopping and disabling Defender works.
    After executing # 61, just start the windefend service. You also have depend RpcSs-TOGGLE there...
    Take it only as an arguments for satisfying the question Mr.X :)
    I don't stain foreign scripts, I don't pick up my ego. I was just trying to help and answer questions. Please understand that :-( I'm not trying to fight over which script is better (your vs mine), I don't care, I just say what I use.

I can't speak English, I can't explain it better in English.

Note:
    1)
    Why doesn't the elevation in your script look like take-own.psm1 (not TI, I just mean the system, just for example, and not mine)?
    https://github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10/blob/master/lib/take-own.psm1
    Your code looks like obfuscated malware code .-)
    2)
    I don't understand why net1 stop windefend is not detected in your code, when it is detected in cmd :)

6. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    1) That's not elevating anything, it just enables privileges for that process only, if it's already running as admin - if not, it does nothing.
    I will take my 2-line any time over that bloated microsoft-style crap that people lacking imagination have been copy-pasting for a long time - snippets are supposed to be compact, not be larger than the main script itself:
    $D1='[DllImport("ntdll")]public static extern IntPtr RtlAdjustPrivilege(int a,bool b,bool c,ref bool d);'
    $AP=Add-Type -Member $D1 -Name D1 -PassThru;$p=2;while($p-le36){$z=$AP::RtlAdjustPrivilege($p++,1,0,[ref]0)}

What do these 2 lines do when run under powershell? Specifically Add-Type? trigger c# compiler to create a temporary exe file and then run it.
    I (and 3rd party AVs) do not like that behavior. On many companies csc.exe is specifically blocked. So instead I often use net reflection technique instead, that will create a module in-memory, or reuse existing net functions:
    $D1=[uri].module.gettype('System.Diagnostics.Process')."GetM`ethods"(42) |where {$_.Name -eq 'SetPrivilege'} #`:no-ev-warn
    'SeSecurityPrivilege','SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege','SeBackupPrivilege','SeRestorePrivilege'|foreach {$D1.Invoke($null, @("$_",2))}

More self-descriptive, and specifically targeting the needed privileges in the context of taking ownership.
    There are some ` in there. Why? Because powershell triggers a yellow mark log warning event for even the simplest things like [IntPtr] usage, and that pollutes the log making it harder to filter actual issues. So I put more effort into evading such log pollution.
    It's ultimately easier to understand 10-12 lines of code than something spanning multiple pages. All it takes it split it following the language syntax ; { } | and googling the terms / functions.
    But that's just for taking ownership of registry keys.
    Running external processes as TI without making Defender scream is not trivial at all - there's a reason why all other solutions have been precompiled binaries, while mine is the only plain-text script (hint: it's easier to achieve in c/c++)

2) Because order matters. I set the policies first, then I stop windefend. Tho it works fine even without it, since I call MpCmdRun -DisableService anyway

7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I didn't understand s**t but there goes my "like" and "thanks" :D

8. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    freddie-o just replied to the wrong thread :p

Where is your sense of adventure? Copy-paste the Courier New lines into powershell (admin) and find out! whoami /all before, and after :D

9. freddie-o

freddie-o MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    :tooth: I was on my way out the door and was rushing to post those errors.
    Probably had to do too with reading the code war that went on here when i logged into MDL.

10. wilenty

wilenty MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2014
    #91 wilenty, Nov 24, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2021

I see that here is a "game" - "which tool will be able to disable the Defender without being detected"...

So, I will add my tool to this "game". ;)

Heavy and slowly PowerShell is not needed. :p
    And my tool don't need to execute any external programs. :D

Defender Switcher v1.0

11. Thanks a Lot :)

12. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Noooo man, you should've opened a new thread !!! :)
    Less confusing.
    You can still open it and delete the content of this post if yours.

13. wilenty

wilenty MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2014
    I know that I can delete the post content. :p

Done!

14. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Neah. You don't qualify. That's an anonymous opaque external binary exe, sooner or later is gonna get flagged as malicious.
    Literally no reason to use vs. Defender Control for example that at least is digitally signed (and still suffered so many issues with defender).
    Do not let arbitrary exe touch your very last line of cyber defense. Plain-text script > everything else.
    The "heavy and slowly powershell" reason is rofl - your system and your tweaking skills needs revisiting if powershell does not open close to instantly

:D

15. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    I don't thing its a game, who make better script / program
    an example I made things for me only,
    sometimes I use other work, because its better way.
    just making a tool not make it best tool ever :D totally agree with BAU
    I will add that BAU Coding skill are better than most of us
    and you see the result in his scripts for example.

16. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    @zucrin, neah, you're too kind. some stuff might appear monstrous but it's just the result of focus and hard work - anyone can do much better if they put their mind on it
    we are all smart people and know when to reinvent the wheel and when not, and use our energy where needed the most or where we find it more fulfilling
    there are literally hundreds of more talented people on these boards alone, that just focus on different things (and probably thousands not utilizing their extraordinary potential)
    and it's not a drama. it's motivating. there's room for everybody to find their thing and contribute however they see fit - even as comic relief
    :p

17. Yes Sir it Seems too.

18. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    @freddie-o 's comment is called: sarcasm
    :tooth: