[DISCUSSION] Turn off Cortana in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (14393)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Katzenfreund, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    OK, back on topic.

To summarize, there are several methods of silencing Cortana, some more drastic than others with correspondingly more serious side effects, like losing the search facility.

The two fundamental methods are described in the OP.

I take the least drastic first one by PC World and suggest the following augmentation, which I’ve tried.

Make your native language one that Cortana doesn’t speak, like for example Greek. Then make English the default for keyboard and all displays. Cortana will then be a really attractive female partner that keeps quiet, and the main side effect is that your brief welcoming screen might be in Greek (I haven’t managed to change that, but it doesn’t bother me). My search works fine, at least for local stuff, which is what I want it for.

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    We tried that, Ancestor told us not to, and racists were left to troll the forum and nothing was done about it.

3. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Nope! Never again, reported racist comments once only and admin posted that "it's all crap anyway". So now I just add idiots to ignore.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Depends, how you got rid of it? I used to remove it for years and no problems, only errors in event log. Then again, I have started using a different method, because updates tend to recreate it, so I imagine, that some updates will fail and maybe I will not be able to login like you.

Attached Files:

5. scaramonga

scaramonga MDL Senior Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Still have this reminders winrt oop server running though, anyway to stop that?

6. eth3null

eth3null MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2013
    Man if you guys want to turn off Cortana completely without messing up your Windows 10 installation, you really should be using Windows 10 Enterprise. Using Administrative Templates in Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) you can disable all of the telemetry, cortana, and even the windows store.

7. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Say guys, where exactly in TM and under what name do you see those 12 MB of Cortana? I can see no such thing in Background processes.

8. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    They're talking about SearchUI.exe, probably.

Good thing something was finally done about your crappy posts in this thread. Gotta say though, it's cute watching you and Bat.1 thank each other for your off-topic personal attacks on others. :hug2:

9. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Aww someone's jealous they don't have any friends... cry me a river

I see you fail to mention about the main troll and his butt buddys posts being deleted too

Get a life saddo

10. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    My SearchUI.exe shows as "Suspended" and consumes 00 CPU and 120 K of memory (which is 100 times less than the 12 MB mentioned by others). So I must have done things practically right without applying any drastic hacks, which shows it can be done, unless you worry about the the 120 K of memory.

11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    [FONT=&quot]Coming from the "DOS generation" I felt the same way about graphic interfaces and using a mouse, both of which are far slower than entering commands via the keyboard. I still feel that way but use the mouse because, frankly, those who just didn’t want to learn the commands won the day.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Cortana just slows me down. And when I, my wife and two children and my grandson were all using Cortana, the room sounded like a sports bar during happy hour: all sorts of talking but nobody listening. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]When everybody went to bed, I fixed that little situation being the typical autocratic old man I am. An old man (and his bride) appreciate quiet, especially in their own home. Others can do what they want in their own homes.[/FONT]

As is the usual case, YMMV.

12. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    #72 Garbellano, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Maybe "they" are the same person ;)

And about cortana, the best way to avoid is, is to remove the package
    Get-AppxPackage | Select Name, PackageFullName Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.7.0.14393_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

EDIT to the new version

13. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    @Bat.1
    Well, Cortana can’t make coffee or anything practically useful, she can only duplicate what I can do better otherwise. Regarding her chatting, as she is a female, she’s at her best when quiet. Finally, as for company, I prefer that of my cat.

I call her a Siren riding a Trojan horse.

But I’ve heard of guys who turned her off, because they didn’t want their wives to hear female voices coming out of their office.

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I think forum''s engine doesn't allow to ignore yourself

15. ssnake

ssnake MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2015
    I'm running 1607 (14393.10) x64 PRO and a little confused about search and cortana GPO.
    While enabling and disabling "Allow Cortana" works fine, I can't understand the effect of two other policies:

1. Do not allow web search
    2. Don't search the web or display web results in Search

When Cortana is enabled, both of these policies don't do anything if I enable them and I get web results in search.

When Cortana is disabled, both of these policies don't do anything if I disable them and I don't get web results in search.

So what do they do?

16. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    I used "AllowCortana" (2 locations) to disable Cortana, but in 1607, it no longer works. I find interesting though, that it works for some. :wassat:

18. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Works for me on both Home and Pro as Daz had confirmed before I upgraded. Are you sure you added the values at the proper locations? Try using the reg file contents Daz provided, and reboot once to see if it takes.

19. getsuga369

getsuga369 MDL Junior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    The reg file contents gave by @Daz is perfectly working in Windows 10 Pro. Do a crosscheck in the regedit!