[DISCUSSION] VirtualBox - Update, SLP & SLIC

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by cigolo_, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ailin

ailin MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2012
    RickT

Thank you for the notice!
    It seems that the problem is appeared because of VirtualBox security hardened features introduced in version 4.3.14. It also includes verification of image VBoxDD2.dll digital signatures which is became invalid after file was patched.
    I will try to workaround the situation with security hardening.

Note that usage of separate BIOS image described in method #2 ("complex way") is still valid.

2. RickT

RickT MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    Thanks for the reply ailin. I'm glad you have confirmed it for me.

I have not tried the "complex way". I may have missed the details in this thread, but can someone tell me what exactly that is doing, what gets changed, and how I can back it out and return to a standard install if I want to go back to using the VBoxDD2.dll method again (assuming someone can work out how to do it that way again). I've looked at the virtualbox documentation here: www virtualbox org / manual / ch08.html#idp58769408 but that's not entirely helpful.

I don't like applying patches without some understanding of what I am actually doing, or being able to undo it easily if I have a problem.

Thanks,

RickT.

3. RootCanal

RootCanal MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2014
    Hi,I haven't read the entire thread but this bit hasn't seemed clear in what I have read: This "Unable to load R3 module C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/VBoxDD.DLL (VBoxDD): GetLastError=1790 (VERR_UNRESOLVED_ERROR)" is only Windows 7 (or 7 x64?). I'm running 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 Tech Preview (all x64) on the same machine with essentially the same programs and config in all of them. This has been ongoing since 4.3.12 (which I'm just about to revert the Win 7 version to). They all share the VMs (obviously!). I have reinstalled the OSes since this started and it doesn't matter what software is on there, it doesn't work in Win 7 x64 since 4.3.12, and it isn't hardware or bios, because all my other OSes work fine on the exact same. Way I see it is Oracle don't support Windows 7 anymore - almost as though Microsoft had bought them. This has gone on too long to be a bug.

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    No idea why the 4.3.12 doesn't work. But versions after that are bound to fail because of the new 'hardening' feature (not mentioned in the changelog - go figure). All file signatures are now checked and enforced, invalid or unsigned files aren't accepted now.

Quite a few OEM strings (like HP) can be used without any file patching, needs just a few config file entries.

5. alexxf

alexxf MDL Addicted

Feb 9, 2008
    Windows 7 Guest: all shared folders show offline after update guest additions to v4.3.22.

6. ogodei

ogodei MDL Novice

Apr 7, 2014
    #553 ogodei, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    From a post by ailin on Oct 22, 2016 that's still missing... (the links still work, as per my test just now):

This BIOS image can be linked to the VM with the command:

Code:
    VBoxManage setextradata VM_NAME VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/BiosRom full_path_to_image
    Replace VM_NAME with an actual VM name and full_path_to_image with the path to vbxbios.rom correspondingly.

7. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
  8. linhdr15

linhdr15 MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2016
    Linux hosts / guests: Linux 2.6.28 compile fix (bug #16267)
    Linux hosts: compile Linux 4.9 compile fix (bug #16286)
    Linux Additions: warn the user about a known bug with older Linux guests (e.g. Debian 7) requiring manual work to get 3D working (bug #15319)
    Linux Additions: fix the graphics driver build with Linux 4.10 and later (bug #16298)
    Windows Additions: fixed a crash in the WDDM driver under certain conditions

9. bear_aussie

bear_aussie MDL Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    *autistic screeching, chair throwing, clawing at passers-by*

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Don't shoot the messenger! :dunno::eekout:

11. digitalnerd

digitalnerd MDL Novice

May 5, 2011
    #559 digitalnerd, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017

Thanks ogodei

The command runs without error but it is still not activated. I've tried it on both Pro and Pro VL versions.
    I've also tried it on both older versions of Virtualbox.

Any idea how to get my VM activated? Thanks!

edit : solved with oembios method instead

12. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    #560 Carlos Detweiller, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017