DISCUSSION: WHD - Office Updates

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by Alphawaves, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Techiekid

Techiekid MDL Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Thanks for your efforts on the WHD abbodi1406. Very much appreciated. Installed Office 2016vl on a virtual machine, trying to collect updates for a later networked systems distribution but it just wasn't updating.Windows update said there were no office updates needed. Had to download them with your lists. Is Microsoft intending to do away with the large downloads and go the way of office 2019 c2r?

2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Did you activated Microsoft Update?

i don't think they will stop Office MSI updates before EOS 2025

3. Krakatoa

Krakatoa MDL Addicted

Feb 22, 2011
  4. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
  5. arrowflash

arrowflash MDL Novice

May 22, 2017
    Hi, I've been trying to create a slipstreamed Office 2013 SP1 install with all the latest updates. Downloaded all the updates with WHDownloader, extracted the .msps and placed them in the Office installer updates folder.

The problem is that the installer skips quite a few of the applicable updates white installs others in a seemingly random fashion, and I end up with a sort of "messed up" Office 2013 install where each app ends up having a very different build version from one another, and Office itself is a different build from the apps.

If I run these updates manually after the installation, by directly running the .msp file, they all install without errors and do update the Office and apps build versions without problems. So, if all else fails, I suppose I could create a batch file to run these updates after install. Pretty unelegant solution, though. I tried looking at the install log file as suggested in an old previous reply. It didn't help, because what I noticed is that these .msps that aren't installed, aren't even mentioned in the log. It's like the installer completely skips them over or doesn't even "see" them. :/

Any ideas?

6. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
  7. arrowflash

arrowflash MDL Novice

May 22, 2017
    It's SP1 media with MSI installer.

I didn't know we could rename the MSPs that go in the updates folder. I expected that would lead to problems. Thank you for this tip, I'm going to give a try renaming the files with numbered prefixes from oldest to most recent to see if this fixes my problem - not hard to figure out since when the .msps are extracted they keep their original modified date, so I can just use that to figure the sorting order.

8. Sexy Loli

Sexy Loli MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2017
    I still have the install files for an old copy of 2010 Office Pro Plus, so that means I would have to individually install each update is they clash with each other using the auto method by placing the files inside the updates folder? I redownloaded another copy using HeiDoc's Windows-ISO-Downloader.exe which downloaded a different installer and when opening the file had a different file structure: Office_Pro_2010_TechG_Englishx32.exe and and it's 64-bit variant: Office_Pro_2010_TechG_Englishx64.exe and there was no updates folder in it when extracted....is that a worry? Maybe their copy is different to my copy....

9. arrowflash

arrowflash MDL Novice

May 22, 2017
    Would you look at that, renaming the .msp files did the trick!

What I did was add prefixes to them from 001_ to xxx_ ordered by modified file date, from oldest to newest (used a program called Bulk Rename Utility to help me with that). With this, my Office 2013 SP1 was already fully updated after install (MSO v15.0.5111.1000, Word v15.0.5111.1000, Excel v15.0.5111.1000, Publisher v15.0.5101.1000, etc).

This should be better documented and more widely spread knowledge. I've read dozens of tutorials and blog posts on slipstreaming updates for Office 2013, and none of them ever mentioned that the install order of patches in the updates folder is based on the filenames (I expected the updates system implemented by Microsoft in the Office installer to be "smarter" than that). I even saw people with similar issues on the Technet forums, and the "technicians" at Microsoft couldn't help them beyond scripted replies.

I wonder if this also applies to Office 2010 and Office 2016, as I'm going to work on them next.

Thank you!

10. Sexy Loli

Sexy Loli MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2017
    ...sooo apparently that Tech G I download was just the free upgrade 2010 version if you had bought 2007 before some specified date and not the actual ProPlus installer...

If you extract/open the downloaded .exe file it's gives you the .msp file along with a bunch of other files as well......which I guess you can ignore..

Regarding Office 2010, so I downloaded one that comes with SP1, and since SP2 covers all of SP1 and more up to and including itself, I can safely remove these updates from the updates folder right?

Code:
    clientshared64muisp1-en-us.msp
    clientshared64wwsp1-x-none.msp
    clientsharedmuisp1-en-us.msp
    officesuitemuisp1-en-us.msp
    officesuitewwsp1-x-none.msp
    proofingsp1-en-us.msp
    proofsp1-en-us.msp
    proofsp1-es-es.msp
    proofsp1-fr-fr.msp
    and in place of all those, the SP2 of bother 32-bit and 64-bit and the extracted version of all those updates downloaded through WHD for bother 32-bit and 64-bit Office 2010, yes....?

11. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Right, you don't need those SP1 files since you'll be installing SP2. All the updates that abbodi1406 includes are for SP2. And yes, you only need the .MSP files.

If you think you'll be installing both 32-bit and 64-bit versions on different computers, then yes- download the updates for both architectures. But realistically, you'll probably only use one or the other and you'd only need the updates to match the architecture of your choice.

You don't need to manually open and extract the .MSP files- WHDownloader will do it for you. Alphawaves included two ways to do it. If you wanted them to be automatically extracted as you download the updates, open the config.ini file and set "ExtractMSP=" to "True". The other way to do it is to right-click at the bottom of WHDownloader and select "Office MSP Extractor".

12. arrowflash

arrowflash MDL Novice

May 22, 2017
    Yes, often they would only have .txt eulas besides the .msp so it's not a serious issue. Sometimes there will also be .dll, .reg and/or .bat files, unfortunately these had to be ignored too, if there's any way to also integrate these, I don't know.

By the way I have already tested, it's also possible to rename and order the .msp in 2010 and 2016.

When extracting the .MSP automatically by setting ExtractMSP=True in the .ini (I didn't notice there was other way, so I haven't tested it), one thing I have noticed is that there were a few missing .msps compared to extracting them manually (my "manual" method is using 7zip -> select all .exe files -> use the "Extract Here" context menu). And these missing files weren't language .msps either (those that are filtered by setting the MSPLangFilter= .ini option). I don't know if it's a bug or if WHDownloader judged that these missing .msps aren't necessary, but to be on the safe side it's the reason I prefer to extract them manually.

13. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    #299 PointZero, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Can you name one of the Office updates that contains .dll, .reg and/or .bat files so I can take a look at it? I've never seen one that has those files.

It's not unfortunate that anything needs to be ignored. You are aware that placing only the .msp file in the Updates folder while installing Office is the official way to have an updated installation, as suggested by Microsoft?

Office 2010 updates are messy- there are tons of language specific .msp files and there are overlap of 5-7 .msp files in the updates. What I mean by overlap is that different updates contain the same named .msp file, and they are different versions. So you need to make sure that the newest .msp file is chosen when that duplication issue arises during .msp extraction.

Office 2013 updates are better- MS eliminated the duplicate filenames contained in the updates. But there are still a mess of language specific files.

Office 2016 updates are the easiest to work with- MS eliminated the language specific files and there are no duplicate filenames. That reason alone (for me) makes it a compelling reason to upgrade from earlier Office versions to it.

I compared all three .msp extraction methods. I did it by #1, changing the config.ini's ExtractMSP= to True and letting WHDownloader do it automatically, #2, by right-clicking in the bottom bar of WHDownloader and selecting "Office MSP Extractor, and #3, extracting them manually using 7-Zip or WinRAR.

For Office 2013, I saw no difference in the output of .msps using any of the 3 methods above.

For Office 2010, there can be a difference due to the same filename being used for 5-7 of the .msp files contained in the updates. On occasion, it may not leave the most current version of .msp file in the folder. And there may have been one or two updates that weren't extracted automatically as I do see a small difference in the number of files.

14. Sexy Loli

Sexy Loli MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2017
    ...thanks...:)

Well may as well have both in case in future you do or when microsoft decides to remve the updates for office 2010 in future......like they did with older office editions....

...oh well I've already downloaded the updates....lol....