[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Build 10586 (v1511/th2)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pawX, Nov 5, 2015.

1. yousif

yousif MDL Member

Dec 14, 2013
    I made it to .164 without installing KB3140743 (.122) update as it always failed to install and rollback! Is it alright?!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    All newer CU superseed older ones, so you're fine :)

3. RGadelha

RGadelha MDL Expert

Feb 14, 2010
    Just Kidding

Sorry for that, jk :D
    And thank you for being helpful ;)

Attached Files:

4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #2064 lobo11, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    I know that but above same update was installed again on the 8th:D

No problem, just wanted to know why

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Margusx

Margusx MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2015
    Anybody have issues with mouse movement in games its slower now and no effect to accelerate in windows settings

6. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    Update (KB3140741) for Windows 10 Version 1511 x86 and x64-based Systems seem to have been released in a haste, according to Microsoft note "This is a "FAST PUBLISH" article created directly from within the Microsoft support organization."

So, expect another one fixing the fixes very soon....

7. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Updates stability has nothing to do with there KB article
    and that fast publish thing is found in most KB articles

KB3140741 is a servicing stack update, it's the engine that handle and facilitate the installation of other updates

8. zamica

zamica MDL Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Is it expected to have anew build in the next Microsoft Developer conference in San Francisco CA next March 30?!

9. vipanonymous

vipanonymous MDL Senior Member

Apr 3, 2014
    So now when you plug a pendrive the new-style "settings" options are open on default. They should had at least make it usable it just shows the storage and with using the space... I don't know I may have missed it but I was unable to access the files on the usb stick. :g:

10. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yay this build I think is the better til now works fine NONE bsod' s or any problem maybe with better performance at least here :thumbsup:

11. RamGuy

RamGuy MDL Member

Jun 27, 2009
    #2071 RamGuy, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Windows 10 (10586) and it's "wonderful" Messaging UWP-app.. Where are the options??

I have recently tried to use the new built-in Messaging-app that we all got with Windows 10 and it's "Fall Update" aka Threshold 2 aka 10568. This new, very basic and minimalistic app is taking over for the bloated and dreaded Skype desktop application on my system and thus far it's been doing okay-ish.

The app itself is doing the job as a Skype replacement quite well as all Skype communications is flowing through it without any configuration required. But the app is very basic, perhaps somewhat to basic. But I will try to live with it for now.

But there is one major issue. Where are the options? There are no options to be found. This is causing some issues for me as the app got this god awful and ridiculously loud !PLING! on all notifications.

It's not only way too loud, but it keeps plining even while you are within the app, within the actual conversation... And it doesn't stop there, the pling sound does not stop with only being loud but it also reduces all other audio currently running on the system while the notification sound is playing so it will not only blast out my ear-drums but it also makes sure that whatever TeamSpeak conversation I'm in, or whatever game or movie I might be playing / watching will get interrupted as the sound from other applications gets almost completely muted while the app plays it's notification sound.

One might think that the muting effect is caused by Windows default option of having it's "Reduce the volume of others sound by 80%" while Windows detects communications activity. But I have that option disabled, always.

How about using the built-in Windows Volume Mixer? Well, it seems like no UWP-app (Universal Windows Application) aka app from the Windows Store is showing within the mixer. Same goes for apps like Microsoft Edge, Plex and all other UWP applications I've got installed on Windows 10. It's not affected by the "System Sounds" options within the Mixer either. And disabling Windows Sounds all-together does not affect the Messaging application.

I can't seem to find any settings menu within this app whatsoever. Am I blind? Or doesn't Microsoft have a clue what they are doing with these UWP-apps? Surely there has to be a way to adjust the volume of such a notification? Surely there has to be a way to at least be able to disable / mute it entirely?

The only option I'm seeing is to mute entire conversations. But then you won't receive any indication on the app-icon, nothing within the notification centre or within the app itself unless you happen to be in the conversation and noticing something new has been written. So that's pretty useless.

Have I overlooked something obvious here?

EDIT:

I notice that the Messaging-app is listed under Notifications under the new Settings-app. But just to make insult to the injury, the Messaging-app doesn't seem to respond to ANY changes that one do within the settings-app.

12. dmex

dmex MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2011
    The app doesn't currently have any options. At least the messaging app is getting a major update very soon:

blogs.skype.com/2016/03/24/skype-universal-windows-platform-app-preview-for-windows-10-is-coming-to-windows-insiders/

13. NickH

NickH MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2010
    Hi,
    Not sure where to post this one, but is there any way to block KB3140741? It hosed my system (desktop changed colour (minor annoyance) and stopped just about all programs from connecting to my network (Thunderbird, Firefox ESET NOD updates, file shares and almost anything I tried except pings)). I've been able to roll back to an earlier build but, sure as eggs are eggs, it will try to reinstall again.
    TIA,
    Nick

14. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #2074 Nucleus, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  15. NickH

NickH MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2010
    Thanks for that. I downloaded that yesterday, but it does not show the update (yet). Do I have to run Windows Update first?

16. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Nope, uninstall the update if it is installed, run that tool, when it finds it again, hide it

17. NickH

NickH MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2010
    The update is not uninstallable so I had to roll back the build to get rid of it. It does not show in the tool when I run it.

18. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #2078 Nucleus, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Ever since the release of W10 I've disabled updates with Murphy's script and only ever installed any after running the Updates Troubleshooter (wushowhide.diagcab) first to block any I didn't want. Then manually run WU, never had a problem. Made several posts about this over time. Trying to find Murphy's blocking script post...

Edit: Murphy's W10 Disable/Enable Updates Script - Thread

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #2079 Enthousiast, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You mean this one?

Code:
    @echo off

title Disable/Enable Windows 10 Automatic Updates
    color 1f
    :Begin UAC check and Auto-Elevate Permissions
    :-------------------------------------
    REM  --> Check for permissions
    >nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"

REM --> If error flag set, we do not have admin.
    if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' (
    echo:
    echo   Requesting Administrative Privileges...
    echo   Press YES in UAC Prompt to Continue
    echo:

goto UACPrompt
    ) else ( goto gotAdmin )

:UACPrompt
        echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
        echo UAC.ShellExecute "%~s0", "", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

"%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
        exit /B

:gotAdmin
        if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" ( del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" )
        pushd "%CD%"
        CD /D "%~dp0"
    :--------------------------------------

:Check Windows Version
    wmic os get version | find /i "10.">nul 2>nul
    if %errorlevel% neq 0 GOTO :Not10

:Check the key:
    (reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "NoAutoUpdate"|find /i "0x1")>NUL 2>NUL
    if %errorlevel% neq 0 GOTO :KEYOFF

:KEYON
    echo ============================================================
    echo Automatic Updates are currently disabled.
    echo Would you like to re-enable them? (Y/N)
    echo.
    choice /c yn /n
    If %ERRORLEVEL% NEQ 1 GOTO :QUIT

echo Attempting to shut down the Windows Update service if it's running
    net stop wuauserv>NUL 2>NUL
    echo.

Echo Changing Registry key
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "NoAutoUpdate" /D 0 /T REG_DWORD /F>NUL 2>NUL
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% NEQ 0 GOTO :ERROR
    Echo.

Echo Automatic Updates have been enabled
    Echo.
    goto :QUIT

:KEYOFF
    echo Automatic Updates are currently enabled.
    echo Would you like to disable them? (Y/N)
    echo.
    choice /c yn /n
    If %ERRORLEVEL% NEQ 1 GOTO :QUIT

echo Attempting to shut down the Windows Update service if it's running
    net stop wuauserv>NUL 2>NUL
    echo.

Echo Changing Registry key
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "NoAutoUpdate" /D 1 /T REG_DWORD /F>NUL 2>NUL
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% NEQ 0 GOTO :ERROR
    Echo.

Echo Automatic Updates have been disabled
    Echo.
    goto :QUIT

:QUIT
    echo Press any key to exit...
    pause>NUL
    goto :EOF

:ERROR
    echo The script ran into an unexpected error setting reg key.
    pause>NUL

:Not10
    echo This script is only designed for Windows 10...
    pause>NUL

20. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Cheers. Yeah that's the one. Edited my post above and added link to the thread for it now.