[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Enterprise (N) LTSB 2016

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Tito, Jul 21, 2016.

1. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Many here recommend it as also good for gamers but that is pointless if one can not install latest gfx drivers(amd has now started releasing some drivers which support ltsb but not all afaik).No such issue with nvidia & again afaik no game use some latest cutting edge cpu set instructions not supported by ltsb so for a person with latest hardware & nvidia card ltsb is a good bet.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I was talking about the fact that 2016 LTSB won't support new platform CPU's, 2018 LTSC will.

Maybe @Tito can put a link to the msft documentation about it at the OP?

3. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    I assume ltsb can still run on latest processors even if not "officially supported" & unlike win 7/8.1 as long as there are win 10 drivers with WDDM 2.2 support(like nvidia does) everything should run fine.All processors afterall execute same x86 architecture instructions just as they did 20 years ago.

P.S. Ofcourse this is till ltsc2018 release but who knows some might still stick with 2016 for some reasons.

4. YOUNEEDTOLOGINTOVIEWTHIS

YOUNEEDTOLOGINTOVIEWTHIS MDL Junior Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Of course it can run. The questions are if it can run the latest drivers and if it gets hardware optimization updates. These are important for example with a Zen APU, which uses an entirely new graphics architecture as well as CPU architecture and will need lots and lots of OS-level optimizations. Not getting those is a dealbreaker for me on LTSB/C... Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    Solely for zen cpu for gaming then yes but what if one runs nvidia card with 2400g(nvidia latest drivers are ltsb compatible).Can you provide concrete evidence that running ltsb2016 on ryzen with nvidia card will run games slower/not run at all compared to using latest win 10 pro(some online reviews I read suggest everything works fine after selecting "right drivers")?

P.S. cpu architecture & cpu instructions set are different things.There is a reason why a 20 years old pentium & a latest ryzen both are called x86 processors.

6. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Even 7-series intel + 1050 ti nvidia laptops (asus RoGs) that are already 1+ years old have gaming issues under ltsb.
    From microstutters to crashes, from audio issues with both onboard and bt headsets, to external displays.
    Plus several other minor annoyances like the keyboard lights or touchpad working intermittently.
    But other than that, great framerates.
    I've seen it first hand, with 4 different models. I fixed 2 of them after a lot of fiddling with older drivers, options and registry. But that do hurt latest games a little!

In the end, why bother running LTSB on recent gaming hardware, when 1709 and 1803 are snappier and with less issues with new drivers, not to mention having bt audio, wireless, external display, 3d working without hiccups. You have a potato? Then sure, LTSB would be snappier (like any 15xx or 16xx versions). My advice: get Education edition, and never look back. No licensing kms woes, great privacy (even better than normal Enterprise - there are a few hidden gems that you won't find in any infographics comparing editions), great performance, great hardware support. Windows updates? There are dozens of solutions to overcome that if needed..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    @BAU Well I am not a gamer so only post based on what I read in online forums.May be desktops are more forgiving compared to laptops & their proprietary optimus config.

Btw is there a dedicated thread for education version here(or elsewhere) that discuss in detail about the privacy settings hidden gems you are talking about.

8. YOUNEEDTOLOGINTOVIEWTHIS

Feb 18, 2018
    In my case I was wondering whether to start with LTSB or Pro when I use NTLite, because afterwards the ISOs are identical except for for update channel.

So far it sounds like the feature updates do indeed include new hardware support, and since I'm trying to get the best performance possible out of my Zen+Vega PC I'm going to use Pro.

9. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Education edition sounds interesting and has been on my mind as an alternative to ltsb 2018. "No kms licensing woes"? A decent kms tool works?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    #550 lewcass, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    An direct comparison between Education 1803 and LTSB 2016 would be helpful.

Actual installation sizes with pagefile hibernation sleep and system restore off.

Store apps(if any on Education).

How many packages in each, ltsb 2016 en-gb has 2665.

Known working activation solution.

Known limitations.

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Any windows 10 sku can be KMS activated, except the cloud editions, and some non official sku's.

How can a normal sku be an alternative for a LTSB edition, the LTSB part is pretty specific in this case.

12. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    LTSB 2018 should solve the noted issues. Because MS know people are using ltsb then it isnt outside the realm of possibilty that ms would start crippling it in ways that would suit gamers.

13. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    Maybe some ppl can prefer education over ltsb2018 if it is shown that there are some "hidden privacy settings gems"(& performance gains) in it as claimed by @BAU making it superior to Enterprise.Along with MS store(many also add that to ltsb though I don't understand the point) & always uptodate hardware support it is better for gamers in long run.

14. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    Comparing ltsb 2016 and education 1803 wouldnt be a fair comparison because of the differences between build series. Comparing both editions in the same build series would give better results.

15. windows builder

windows builder MDL Guru

Sep 13, 2017
    How I can to hide apps list in Start?

16. windows builder

windows builder MDL Guru

Sep 13, 2017
    How much is this edition better than 1803 Pro edition?

17. YOUNEEDTOLOGINTOVIEWTHIS

Feb 18, 2018
    #558 YOUNEEDTOLOGINTOVIEWTHIS, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    I think you mean 2019.

Also it is 100% outside the realm of possibility that MS will update LTSB in any way that will suit gamers.

18. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  19. YOUNEEDTOLOGINTOVIEWTHIS

Feb 18, 2018