[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Enterprise (N) LTSC 2019

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Tito, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    That is not bloat.

(Clueless) Chopping won't create a faster or more reliable installation.

2. meme_man

meme_man MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2019
    yeah, it is.

I dont want skype and all that other stuff. I don't like MS software being forced onto my PC. I don't need any of that software

I already have voice recording tools, and use VLC for actual media playback.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Then just don't start them, they won't run by themselves.

4. meme_man

meme_man MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2019
    It doesn't need to make it faster/more reliable, it just needs to make it smaller. Anything useless is bloat, even if it just takes up disk space.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You don't have a clue what what is but you do know it needs to be deleted, so search the board, there are a lot of cripple tools available.

btw, normal LTSC doesn't have any UWP apps;)

6. meme_man

meme_man MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2019
    I trust you, man. Don't call me clueless :/

Please enlighten me in more detail on the differences. Is it just that software? Is it also no future update support or something (you mentioned bugs)?

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    That sounds somewhat clueless to me, good luck;)

8. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    #3148 Krager, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    I think he means the stuff in there he doesn't want. For me win10 offers nothing I need over win7 except hardware support. So far I've been able to disable everything I don't want through registry edits. Fortunately it's possible, they didn't have to make it that way. I think it's something corporate customers expect, more control over the system, so they leave the controls in there. Get to know your group policy editor. You can also add group policies to the registry directly which is what I do, allows me to just put them all in a reg file and merge it.

As far as removing versus disabling, the safer option is to disable. You really don't reduce the size of the image all that much removing stuff and there's the risk of introducing system issues. I experimented with it quite a bit myself and did run into a couple issues.

9. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    LTSC comes with the same stuff that everyone's favourite win7 came with. It even still has internet explorer.

All the complaints that people have about windows 10 can be solved with Enterprise LTSC but so few people know about it. LTSC should be more popular.

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Afaik, all 1809 sku's have internet explorer;)

Most global users use a legit windows.

11. karlw

karlw MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2018
    Anyone who may have the same question, which is a perfectly valid one, and which is curious and positive in nature, now has a better understanding of the word bloat could mean.
    Is Windows bloated? Why would anyone assume that?
    How should these "features?", of N be described? I think they're balls so I thought bloat was being nice. Apparently so did the law in places that still care.
    Just search the board for a cripple tool should have been in your original reply. Someone may not know to use a cripple tool in this scenario.
    Also, technically, clueless chopping could create a faster installation, etc. You used the word "won't", which is incorrect.

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #3152 Enthousiast, Feb 21, 2019
    Chopping won't create a faster install, all chopped/modified iso's i tested (some offered me theirs to test), some couldn't even update in any way and benchmarks didn't show better numbers.

The only thing that will happen for sure is future problems.

Some even think explorer is bloat.

But people who show not having a clue, even about what UWP apps are, or if LTSB/C contains skype BUT know that there has to be some chopping done, sounds clueless to me.

The term Telemetry got a bad name because one or two clickbait sites once called it bad, same goes for the term bloatware.

In the EU they made msft change some things, or better, they made msft handing some control over what is send to them.

In fact, telemetry in general is just a report sent back to MSFT, on 7/8.1. On 10 the UWP apps send info too, like iOS and Android apps do too, LTSC doesn't.

People even say the NSA gets that info, the info the NSA can get is from the online services like outlook.com or onedrive.

At the beginning @Michaela Joy tried to create a privacy thread, in which this all should have been factually discussed, but the hype won...

13. karlw

karlw MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2018
    #3153 karlw, Feb 21, 2019
    I'm just trying to make a point that someone who is actively seeking help and understanding deserves help, not shame. Just suggesting an alternative approach, which you are free to ignore. Thank you for the information you give others.

14. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Enthousiast: Yup. For one thing, I wanted everybody to know the difference between "Telemetry" and "Spying". Also, I wanted -everyone- to read the EULA,
    simply because it's something that most of us just ignore and press 'Accept'.

But that's long past, so I won't belabor the point. :)

However: I'm still waiting for WIndows 10 to become stable enough for my liking. By stable, I mean that tweaks to tame its' blabbyness are not really needed.

'nuff said.

Just curious. Why can't you simply uninstall skype if it bothers you?

Another thing: Did anybody realize that MS has a knack for building an API around an app that they don't want uninstalled?

Active X / COM comes to mind.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    #3155 Krager, Feb 21, 2019
    Telemetry is just a matter of principle for me. Do I really care about the privacy of that data, not really. The point is I don't like Microsoft, never have, always thought they were a s**t company with s**t engineers and s**t policies. The only reason I use their OS is because they have a monopoly on PC and I prefer PC for its ubiquitous and inexpensive hardware.

I don't want my computer contacting MS servers in the background. I have WU disabled and do all my updates manually. I even go so far as to change my time server to time.nist.gov. I have contact with MS servers limited to the best of my ability. There's some things I don't have a choice like certificates, I need those. So there's still an amount of background contact there, but it's minimal and I will go to some trouble to keep it that way.

The install.wim image for LTSC is considerably smaller compared to the stock win10 image. but there's still lot of unused stuff in LTSC taking up space on my drive. I don't use that stuff and doubt I ever will. Considering win10 offers nothing I need over win7 and the size of the install.wim is considerably bigger, that's all bloat in my book. I'd be happier if I could get rid of it, but it's a lot of fuss. What I can remove doesn't reduce the size of the image much and risks system issues.

16. wmn

wmn MDL Junior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    #3156 wmn, Feb 21, 2019

From my experience, if you want add the Store to LTSC it will not work on the N LTSC version.

But addding MS Media Feature Pack to N LTSC will do the job.

But the difference is that when you add NETFLIX app from the store, Dolby Digital does not work on the non N LTSC, but it work on N LTSC + MS Media Feature Pack.

17. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Just install the non N directly, instead Adding the WMFP to N. N is not made as a special feature, it's made because EU law enforces MSFT to do it, nobody ever used N legit, except on a few systems @mkuba50 saw passing by,

18. Tarple

Tarple MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2018
    I'm struggling to keep my fresh LTSC install clean and controlled.

After installing, I go through all the Settings and Control Panel stuff. Then I use Private Win10 first (all on, except driver/font/certif updates) and WuMgr next, but annoying things start to happen.

There's a specific CU (KB...44) that keeps getting found more than once, though it gets installed successfully, every time. I'm pretty sure this is a common problem.
    After some of the reboots I couldn't personalize Start, until next reboot.

Did I go too far turning every single Private Win10 tweak on? Any other experiences on what should the ideal tweaking be? (For example, only Search off and a couple of the telemetry ones)

EDIT: advice on forgetting my OCD over this is welcome :rolleyes:

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You do a lot of tinkering but the update being offered over and over is a common problem? If it was a common problem we all would experience it.

20. Tarple

Tarple MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2018
    Then it probably isn't common, I thought I've read a couple times about problems with WU and that CU itself some time ago... maybe? I'll look up myself again if nobody has an answer, but I can't think of a reason for that happening on a clean install other than being Windoze's fault... :confused: