[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Enterprise (N) LTSC 2019

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Tito, Feb 1, 2018.

1. m.fessler

m.fessler MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2020
    Please excuse the annoying question, but for german the latest (17763.316) official (untouched) iso would be this one - right?
    "de_windows_10_enterprise_ltsc_2019_x64_dvd_34efbe54.iso"

And the updating works via windows updates like with other editions, or do they have to be installed manually?

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It's the correct one:
    Yes, it's a normal windows 10, WU will offer the updates.

3. Galvin

Galvin MDL Novice

May 13, 2008
    #5123 Galvin, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Anyone know if Dx12 ultimate will be available for 1809 LTSC?

4. Galvin

Galvin MDL Novice

May 13, 2008
    ok and since LTSC runs for 5 years, next release wouldn't be until 2024. May have to switch to normal windows 10 if that's the case
    Thanks

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Late 2021 would be the correct year for the next LTSC release, based on the 3 year release frequency.

6. Vieyelt

Vieyelt MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2009
    I need help with an issue that's been bugging me for days. I'm on a 1Gb symmetrical connection and when I was working with the ltsb 2015 everything was perfect. The massive file transfers (hundreds of Gb) between network drives in my lan were going perfect. Also the uploads to the cloud on Gdrive. Now, since I have installed ltsc 2019 from scratch, everything related to transfers on my LAN drives are cut at random and uploads to Gdrive too. Sometimes only my LAN drives are disconnected and other times I am left without internet at all.

At first I thought it was a matter of some parameter of my network card, system policy, key in the registry, service disabled... I've tried many things that I've seen on the google and none of them have helped me to sort this out.

My system: LTSC 2019 v1809 (17763.1131)
    KB4541331
    KB4539571
    KB4523204
    Security Update for Adobe Flash Player
    KB4483452
    KB4470788

Surely this must be some kind of bug in this system or something related, the strange thing is that I could not see anything by google identical to what I relate. Can someone guide me? TIA

7. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    LTSC 2019 has a piece of crap driver catalog, it will offer updates that are not suitable to legacy hardware.
    For example 2020 drivers to AMD r5 m230 that is coupled with A8-series APU, long out of oem support. Works apparently fine, until it crashes the machine.
    I found similar issues with webcams, capture cards, hda audio (had to switch to ac97 in bios), wireless display function and even with usb audio devices / headsets.
    Did not experience network issues but that's probably because I always update network drivers from a usb stick containing up-to-date ones from manufacturers.
    So, what's your actual hardware involved?
    Did you manually install the network drivers from oem or manufacturer?
    Did you turn off Settings - Update & Security - Delivery optimization?
    And lastly, have you considered it might be related to the global corona virus pandemic? Networks all over the world are working full load..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Vieyelt

Aug 6, 2009
    #5129 Vieyelt, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Global corona virus pandemic? Nope nada from the moment that from within my LAN drives the transfers are randomly cut off without having anything to do with the internet I can rule out anything related to web congestion or anything else.
    All drivers are specific to my motherboard downloaded from the Asrock website: network card, graphics, audio... nothing generic installed by this s**tty ltsc.
    Totally ruled out that it can be a router issue since it is perfectly configured and high performance. With the same hardware, except the hard disk that was previously mechanical and now is an ssd, with the ltsb 2015 version everything related to the transfers between my network drives within the lan went perfect and the uploads to Gdrive took the 1Gb of my connection and with fluidity, no cuts or failed transfers. Now with the ltsc the opposite. I see that maybe you haven't experienced all this because maybe you are not with 1Gb of transference.
    I have blocked the windows update service through firewall rules and the O&O ShutUp10 program also blocked this weird thing called Windows Defender via gpo and O&O ShutUp10. These are the same settings I had previously, i discard the possibility that it could be caused by a misconfiguration of some rule that i have put in place.
    If I do not succeed in finding out what is causing this, I will go back to a backup without anything configured and test the network if necessary without a firewall and with everything activated by this system as standard (windows update/defender...).

ps: my nas independent of the ltsc and in the same router (network) works fantastic every day and every hour.

I'm lost with this s**t that's come down on me.

9. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    I have been using gigabit internet for years. Have tested all versions and editions of windows 10 including LTSB 2015, LTSB 2016 or LTSC 2019.
    No specific issues found, other that the odd cases of mixing windows 7, 8 and 10 (different SMB versions) but not causing such slow downs.
    The devil is always hiding in the details - since you've recently switched to a SSD drive, it's possible that the various security mitigations employed in LTSC 2019 (for SMB vulnerabilities, for cpu vulnerabilities and so forth) - might hit your hardware more than average. And not all SSDs are equal, in fact the market is flooded with trash.

I am not a fan of LTSC 2019, but network performance was never a reason. Quite smooth, it's just that 1903/1909 is smoother by comparison (and 2004 even more so).
    I just quickly installed it on an asus gl553ve fit with a silicon power p34a80 nvme ssd and it definitely maxed out the gigabit internet connection both via ethernet and wireless.
    Tested lan file copy with a desktop with just a sata 3 samsung ssd and it worked as good as expected. Default windows configuration, I've just installed network drivers and disabled windows defender via group policy.
    So save yourself the trouble and go back to your previous OS version and benchmark again, because it's unlikely for LTSC itself to perform poorly, unless it's a driver issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Vieyelt

Aug 6, 2009
    #5131 Vieyelt, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Thanks for your experience, surely if I fail the test with the firts backup i will return to the previous system.

11. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Only Enterprise LTSC fits that requirement.
    If you don't mind the Store with very few built-in apps, then Education edition of current version 1909 would do fine until upcoming 2004 gets released (and everyone's wet dream of a new LTSC version).

12. Vieyelt

Aug 6, 2009
    ok, I'm going to test the virginal image right now, if the bug continues, I'll be conservative and move on to my old :worthy: ltsb 2015 which was working perfectly. The wet dream of the next ltsc release will wait until the patches expire for my beloved 2015, still five years more.

13. noway1

noway1 MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2019
    Can you shut down all running apps possible and test LTSC build? This includes antivirus, firewall, that O&O thing, etc. See if you still have the problems on a barebones config. Do you have drive images right from your initial install of LTSC?

14. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Read again the 3rd sentence you've quoted above.
    Intel

15. gro0vr

gro0vr MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2016
    He said "I integrated these updates with W10UI 6.6 on the EN-GB LTSC 2019 17763.1 ISO. This includes the microcode update."

I took this to mean he installed some updates from 1903 which included the scheduler updates.

So does that mean there is no way to install that to 1809?

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    He just installed the 1809 updates, 1903/9 updates will never install on 1809, maybe a frankenbuild but then still a bad idea.

17. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
  18. Angela Pszbor

Angela Pszbor MDL Senior Member

Apr 11, 2014
    How can I defrag hdd without enter windows?
    like total paragon that doesnt exist anymore
    Like a bootable usb with defrag to do a total defrag?