[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Enterprise (N) LTSC 2019

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Tito, Feb 1, 2018.

1. chinotto

chinotto MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    seems complicated... can you get a guide on which updates to download for 17763.1.180914-1434.rs5_release_CLIENT_LTSC_EVAL_x64FRE_en-us?

2. chinotto

chinotto MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    this version is old....how can you update it with the latest patches?

3. tigercheng

tigercheng MDL Member

May 4, 2015

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. chinotto

chinotto MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    Those updates are from May. Where can I find June?

5. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. chinotto

chinotto MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    so all I have to find are updates that say 17763?

7. Gladuin

Gladuin MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2017
    A colleague of my dad has accidentally wiped his drive, and he has asked me to reinstall windows for him. I was planning on installing LTSC, because he uses the laptop for mail and web browsing anyways. He used Win 7 before, so he probably won't need windows store etc.

Now, I was wondering when LTSC goes from LTSC 2019 to LTSC 2020 (or whatever the next version is), will that update be downloaded through normal Windows Update?

8. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Next LTSC is usually three years from the last. End of 2021/start of 2022 is a realistic time.

No, LTSC will NEVER receive any Feature Updates (aka build upgrades). You will need to get the ISO and update manually. As a side effect, each new LTSC will require new product keys.

9. Gladuin

Gladuin MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2017
    All right, thanks for the straightforward answer. I'll see what's the best option, but seeing as my dad's colleague wasn't planning to upgrade from windows 7, he probably won't care about windows 10 updates.

10. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The advantage of the LTS Channel is Long Term Support. Ten years of support, counted from the release date. Please note that he will still receive the normal Windows Updates (CU, SSU, Security and Quality updates). LTSC just doesn't get the big "Feature Updates" (completely new OS build).

Even the 2015 LTSB release still gets updates each month, but it will always stay in the TH1 branch (1507 aka 10240 from 2015).

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I didn't have time to update the 1809 Updates Overview, will try to asap.

12. MMIKEE

MMIKEE MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Dell XPS 15 (2020) considerations if using LTSC

I ordered a Dell XPS 15 (9500 series) Laptop which is equipped with a 2.3/5.1Turbo-GHz Intel Core i7-10875H CPU / 16GB of RAM / 1024GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD / Intel UHD Graphics GPU / Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Max-Q GPU with 4GB of RAM and a 15.6-inch, 3840 x 2400 touch panel.

And some incarnation of Windows Home-x64 + BLOATware…

I prefer w10 LTSC and have this OS installed on 2 Desktops and 2 Laptops…

If possible I want to replace the shipped OS with LTSC if it is not detrimental…

Dell has 40+ Drivers available to download for this laptop series so acquiring them is not an issue…

I do not like or use M$ CRAPs, Store, Edge etc and is why I’m a fan of LTSC vs any other incarnation of w10… LTSC has been stable and reliable on my PC’s…

I would appreciate some feedback from experienced Dell XPS and other users who can shed some light on whether this is doable / feasible or not and what the penalties or shortcomings might be by using LTSC vs shipped DELL OEM OS on this Laptop…

If LTSC is a poor choice for this Laptop, then what other w10 incarnations are preferable to “Home” ?

13. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
  14. MMIKEE

MMIKEE MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2012
    @Super Spartan , thanks for this feedback... It will save me many headaches I'm quite sure...

15. kgtuning

kgtuning MDL Member

Aug 26, 2015
    @Super Spartan you need the store for nvidia control panel? Does the nvidia driver not supply it?

16. AndyMutz

AndyMutz MDL Senior Member

Jun 30, 2011
    no, you don't.
    there is the nvidia standard driver, which comes with the control panel included.
    and even the DCH driver doesn't need the store, the control panel gets downloaded by windows in the background, even on LTSC.

-andy-

17. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    #5398 Super Spartan, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Not the DCH drivers. You'll have to download the standard driver. BUT, Dell only provides DCH drivers which in my experience are the best for performance so one would still need the store.

Here's a tip for anyone with an nVIIDA Graphics card.

Right click on your desktop then choose nVIDIA Control Panel. Go to Manage 3D Settings from the left pane, then scroll down a bit until you see power management. If you see it's set to OPTIMAL which is the default setting when you install a driver. That's your issue.

Optimal Power means when there is no draw on the screen, the GPU clock speeds is set 0 MHz to save power and then ramps up once it needs to. Sounds great on paper, works like crap. This is the number one reason why anyone might experience crappy performance from their nVIDIA GPU. What's worse, is that's the default setting in the nVIDIA Control Panel after you install a new driver often leading people to blame the driver for bad performance when it's just the fault of nVIDIA's clowns.

Set the power management to Adaptive which puts the GPU at lower clock speeds when no GPU intensive apps are in use and it would ramp the clocks up when needed. That actually works. It's the best balance between getting lower heat from the GPU and good performance in games.

When benchmarking, for the optimal results, it's best to set the power management to High Performance.

Mind you, after you change the power management to whatever you set it to, a reboot is mandatory for the new clock speeds to take effect.

Classical nVIDIA Swiss Cheese

18. kgtuning

kgtuning MDL Member

Aug 26, 2015
    ahh i see. Thanks

19. Kyle Edwards

Kyle Edwards MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2020
    I have some questions about the creation of an LTSC 2019 ISO

1 - I need a consumer ISO right ? I can use the 1809 June 2020 updated one ?
    2 - I will need a consumer .SFX of my language and use on SVFX to convert the original consumer ISO to an consumer ISO of my language then take another SFX to convert the ISO of my language to an LTSC of my language right ?
    3 - How I activate the Windows on that ISO so I don't need to do that later ?