[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Enterprise (N) LTSC 2019

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Tito, Feb 1, 2018.

1. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    Windows Update? I'd better keep my mouth shut.

2. awuctl

awuctl MDL Member

Jun 6, 2020
    It's not necessary (or even all that beneficial) for a one-time installation.
    The only advantage to it is that you will save time when using the same image multiple times (on different computers or for reinstalls).

Most likely you won't need either of those. You really shouldn't use them unless you have a valid reason to.
    Updates for LTSC are notoriously terrible (because of how LTS works with Windows) but after updating for the first time further updates will install relatively smoothly.
    Problems occur pretty much only if your hardware is ancient or you mess with system files/configuration too much.

If you want a normal experience with way less issues regarding updates, I advise against LTSC in general.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. slope_45

slope_45 MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2014
    [/QUOTE]If you want a normal experience with way less issues regarding updates, I advise against LTSC in general.[/QUOTE]

Gee, and I thought everybody was doing back-flips over LTSC -- what with it's clean minimalist architecture and all. Just when you think you've figured out what to do. . . oh well, I've already done it, even customized it with an answer file, for goodness sake. How about the rest of you MDL'ers, thumbs up, or thumbs down on your experience with LTSC?

4. slope_45

slope_45 MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2014
    Gee, and I thought everybody was doing back-flips over LTSC -- what with it's clean minimalist architecture and all. Just when you think you've figured out what to do. . . oh well, I've already done it, even customized it with an answer file, for goodness sake. How about the rest of you MDL'ers, thumbs up, or thumbs down on your experience with LTSC?

5. awuctl

awuctl MDL Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
  7. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    • play games;
    • browse the Internet;
    • use any sort of "typical"/"normal" software, not even Office;
    • run it on non-redundant hardware.
    I'm doing all these things on LTSC.

8. awuctl

awuctl MDL Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Bigger numbers make more of an impact I guess. LTSB 2015 has a smaller CU than 2016 (no server components IIRC) and 1703 is very close to 1607 but I skipped that to be 'more dramatic'.
    The point is, the updates only get bigger. The forward differentials will also grow in size since the base will be untouched for 10 years with each release.
    PSFX only shifts the burden of holding the forward and reverse differentials for each file onto the client, except of putting in the package; This is, of course, very beneficial to long term support channels as there is no need for forward differentials for each CU in all the next ones but keep in mind that both differentials will still considerably grow in size as the base gets older.

I'm not sure about the future of LTSC with recent compatibility/performance/stability issues people face on version 2004 and 20H2 but I'm pretty sure the lack of now-common features and (the inevitable) avalanche of stability/security patches will make it unusable.
    We'll have to wait until LTSC 2021/2022 releases I guess.

Why not just something like this:
    • If you don't want feature updates, you can block them with Group Policy for two thirds of the entire support duration of the latest one. I have absolutely no clue as to why anyone would hold it for more than that.
    • If you don't want the Microsoft Store, don't use it and block it with Group Policy. It will be invisible, won't ever run and will not consume resources.
    • If you don't want preinstalled apps, remove all you (safely) can and disable all of them from running in the background. You can remove the apps for all users and remove their provisioning if you're sure they're not AppX system components.
    • If you don't want telemetry set it to Diagnostic data off (Security) in Group Policy. There is completely no diagnostic/telemetry data sent with this setting.
    • If you don't want frequent updates, disable automatic updates (If you can remember to update at least semi-regularly yourself).
    You can automate 100% of the above without destroying the system or its components. Additionally, all Group Policy changes can be applied with the registry.

When it comes to support with LTSC, you don't have it. If you're not a business customer, you are offered no support and your issues do not matter to Microsoft.
    The sole reason this is not "Windows 10 Gamer Edition" is that Microsoft can offer no reliable support for it with this use case.

That's not the point.
    You weren't taken into account by the people who made this edition. Microsoft won't put "gaming features" to future releases of LTSC and will not migrate features that may be necessary to run newer versions of common software, no matter what they are.
    For now, you're missing an entire software distribution and development platform (UWP/Store) which already has things "gamers need" like the Nvidia Control Panel (no clue what ways you people found around that but I'm sure they're neither safe nor supported).

9. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The UWP framework is in LTSC, otherwise, even the Settings would not run. The DCH drivers can just get their required component(s), even if the Store itself is not there.

10. awuctl

awuctl MDL Member

Jun 6, 2020
    "Software development and distribution platform". It's there but partially.
    Something like Android without GApps I guess:
    Not fully functional at the very least. No updates (excluding externally sourced) and no content distribution meant to be there by design.

I guess so, I never looked into it; Nvidia's FAQ on DCH suggests Windows Update also distributes the Nvidia Control Panel.
    Also, there seems to be no mechanism to update it other than the Store, is that right? (or does Windows Update do it all?)

11. kgtuning

kgtuning MDL Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Nvidia control panel will be installed by the driver. It also installs xbox one controller driver as soon as a controller is present with Bluetooth on.

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I would say that is the biggest BS :D

13. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Whatever, I don't give a rat's ass. He was talking about the user experience of the OS so my reply inferred to that aspect, not under-the-hood changes of the OS that no average user cares.

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    There was so much more info in the replies, but have fun believing that:)

15. awuctl

awuctl MDL Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Thank you for your brilliant logical assessment based purely on knowledge and experience in the field. The astounding abundance of information you provided to back up your claim was outright marvelous.
    I am truly astonished at your intelligence and skills in civilized debate.
    This post was truly very insightful. I feel enlightened and shall correct the error of my ways in my further pursuit of knowledge.

So is Windows 8. And so is Windows 8.1. And so is Windows 10. All versions and editions of those are "updated Windows 7".
    Your point? If you're going to shill Windows 7 you're in the wrong category on this forum.

I'm not saying you can't use it. I'm saying you can use something that works 50x better and just spend those five minutes to configure it the way you want.

The reason Windows 10 is not liked by the community is not because you can't do things the way you like (because you can), but because there's a lot of anti-idiot measurements in place that are meant to prevent you from breaking your system and you seem to be unable to get around them (by, at the very least, browsing Microsoft Docs).

You cannot disable Windows Update by a single radio button like in 7. If you do that - your system is insecure. People didn't and still don't get it. Most will need to have their accounts broken into before they realize that. (This is just one example. The same applies to everything else)
    Windows 10 allows you to do everything Windows 7 did. You just have to find it; If you can't - you're part of the problem Microsoft wants to solve.

16. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008

Whatever you
    Hilarious replies - and, BTW, it's really really smart to assume what one could do to the OS he/she is using based on a single comment. Great job demonstrating your almighty inability to judge one's tech capacity. LMAO. I feel I wasted my time replying to such ignorant post LOL.

17. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    WOW..... I love to see people makes a fool of himself in public. Thank you for that.

18. awuctl

awuctl MDL Member

Jun 6, 2020
    You just stole my line :/
    Anyone with eyes can tell who's the fool here.
    I invite you to try again with replying to my post; Maybe try to mention anything I said in it and saying what you disagree with and why? That's what a forum is for after all.

If you don't even try to disprove my arguments, you're not making any difference and my point still stands.
    You will be able to tell if you're being unreasonable again if I stop bothering with you :p Good luck

19. slope_45

slope_45 MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2014
    #5520 slope_45, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Wow, some good dialogue on LTSC. I proceeded with the installation and will get around to installing updates and drivers and all the other essentials. I didn’t do any initial integration on the iso, as this is for a single machine, and maybe I was lazy. Big question: Is WHDownloader the preferred and accepted method to bring the updates up to current status? . . . And to download and install future maintenance updates? I’ve never used DISM for installing update, but it seem a lot of folk here on MDL do; would that be a practical way to install updates? Also, can, and should, WU be turned off? Some common practice advice would be helpful. Thanks.