[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10565

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MrMagic, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    hi everyone

Couldn't find it searching, trying to use control userpasswords2 or netplwiz to skip entering hotmail account password in this build,
    in 10240 it works by entering my hotmail account there but here it goes weird with 2 user names on logon screen:confused:

if it's already posted can anyone point me where?

thanks

2. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Had exactly the same problem--lots of people report same on Insider feedback. Changed from UEFI to Legacy boot, did not help. I cannot change to IDE from AHCI, else the system will not boot as my boot drive is an EVO 850 which only functions in AHCI mode. I read the info on bootcat.cache, too and decided to simply try & repair corrupt files through sfc /scannow & dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth Both completed successfully but neither helped. Left the appropriate Feedback. Can't do anymore updates until they get this sorted.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #343 pisthai, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    If Windows 7 and newer is installed already in AHCI Mode or opposite in Legacy/IDE Mode, to change that, you'll need to have to boot in Safe Mode first and change that value in BIOS.

To boot in Safe Mode, special on Windows 10 and/or 8/8.1, use the following:

• Start Command Prompt as Admin or use Ctrl + X for to start Command Prompt as Admin and use the command:
    • Code:
      bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    • Press Enter to save.
    • Reboot and enter the BIOS (typically press F1, F2, F10 etc. or DEL, or whatever is used at your computer to enter BIOS)
    • Change the SATA Drive setting to either Legacy or AHCI and exit the BIOS save settings
    • Windows will now start intoSafe Mode
    • Open the Admin Command Prompt again and enter the following command for to disable Safe Mode boot:
    • Code:
      bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    • Reboot the computer

Now the settings will have been changed and you could start the installed Windows normally with the new setting.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    #345 WaltC, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Right, but the Samsung EVO 850 SSD only functions under AHCI; won't function under IDE or RAID settings, unfortunately.

EDIT: Confirmed that secure boot off (through bios) allows the update to install normally. Have to wait for the fix before turning it back on. This should convince Microsoft to rethink its forced-update policy...!

5. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Not true. A Raid array of two SSD in RAID 0 will not defeat the Trim. Same If you have one SSD + two HDD in RAID mode, Trim will pass through the Intel drivers. (I had these two configurations for 3 years with older OCZ SSD + HDD).
    Only IDE mode will not work.

6. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    It's is, however, true that the Samsung 850 EVO will not support RAID when set from the UEFI of my AMD 970 chipset motherboard. The EVO only runs under the AHCI setting. Not sure why this is so, exactly, since AMD's RAID drivers are supposed to pass through AHCI--and before I bought the EVO that's what I was doing--running all my AHCI drives through the RAID UEFI setting in the same motherboard. It wasn't a trim issue with the EVO--the RAID UEFI setting simply doesn't work with the EVO (EVO won't function), which I am now using for my boot drive. (Frankly, considering how long Samsung has been dragging its feet for proper Win10-supporting Magician software for the EVOs, I'm not surprised!) I love the EVO...just don't much care for Samsung's software implementation thus far.

By using dynamic disks, though, it's easy enough to stripe the disks under RAID 0 and run them that way under Windows, even if you are bypassing the motherboard RAID controller. I'm doing that, too--with a couple of hard drives. But if I had another EVO I could run it in RAID 0 that way, too--I'd rather run it through the controller--but this is almost as fast a RAID 0 implementation. And also, I've become somewhat enamored of dynamic disks in the process.

Samsung has some kind of weirdness when it comes to Intel and AMD core-logic driver support. It'll run on Intel's RAID drivers but not on AMD's RAID drivers, even though they pass through AHCI just like the Intel drivers.

7. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I have 2 samsung 840 evo ssd's that run perfectly on the mobo intel raid controller ! Trim is supported and they are fast :tea:

8. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Sure, but not on the AMD-chipset RAID controller, unfortunately. (I think I've said that about three times now...;)) That's what I mean about "weird," it's probably some tiny little difference in spec between the AMD & Intel controllers that Samsung doesn't support that renders the 850's inoperable in AMD-chipset RAID.

It's interesting, the 840's can be coaxed into supporting Rapid Mode under Windows 10 without official Win10 support from Samsung, but the 850's cannot be. Still waiting on Samsung's official Win10 Magician support...!

9. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I have no use for Magican support because I'm on hardware raid. For firmware upgrade purposes yes ;)

10. keftui

keftui MDL Junior Member

Jan 31, 2015
    ...for Build 10565?

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Just use the Hiren's boot cd and use the function to fix the sata drivers. It works practically always unless you have a very exotic sata controller.

12. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    Really not too much difference any more between raid 0 and ahci in the performance end as there was in the days of old. If your mirroring data in an higher raid array that is a different but raid 0 is more of a headache now than anything else. Benchmarking is just that and may not be noticeable in real life conditions. The file transfer rates in windows 10 are awesome from hd sdd usb3 and network transfers here in ahci mode. There is also load driver (sata) during install in custom install of windows that may help.

Regards

13. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    This build (ent) also throws the blue error in administrator log on desktop right click display settings, personalization and the task icon network setting toggle. Through the blue screen saying it can not be done with the built in administrator account, when close is clicked it does it :confused:. Works fine on 10240. Based on what M$ is trying to do with its new offering I may even say this is a deterrent bug.

Regards

14. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Good idea! When I get some more time I'll give it a spin.

Thanks, Microsoft finally pulled the bad update, so I system-restored to just before the update, and everything is fine now since Win10 isn't trying to install the bad update anymore--secure boot back on...;)

Every other drive I have--and I have five others installed actually (using all six sata III ports)--works fine with RAID set in the bios and using AMD's RAID drivers to pass through AHCI. It's only the Samsung that's a "problem"--sort of. I guess it's for the same reasons all of the other drives can function as IDE, too, whereas, again, the EVO cannot.

15. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
  16. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
  17. Scary674

Scary674 MDL Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    hi there.
    i downloaded the iso from MS with this build. the new one on Setup i read is, that it will use the uefi key if there is one. for me it will be so (win 8 home key). so now the Setup will install Insider HOME Edition, but no more PRO before last builds. what can i do to get PRO back? i am logged in with MS account (Insider still 2014) but ist now Insider HOME Edition :(