[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17004 (PC) Skip Ahead

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Enthousiast, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Leopeva64

Leopeva64 MDL Expert

Oct 4, 2016
  2. kw259

kw259 MDL Junior Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Interesting, I was unaware of that, thanks for the heads up! I can't seem to figure out where the cursors are actually used though

3. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I have found some games to be freezing at times in this Build. Games like Asphalt 8 Airborne, Need For Speed, etc. And, the Microsoft Edge wouldn't accept input for phone number and date of birth when signing up for new Yahoo! Mail account, excepting when you copy them from Notepad and paste in.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    For me, at every first start of the day, the machine freezes at the Log On Screen, and the only way to solve is to push the Reset Button!

Also, this build (as the last one too) will freeze several times a day while running, on different use of apps, not specific apps related!

Let see, what the next build will bring?!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I haven't experienced anything relating to those you mentioned. It would be better to do new installation to ascertain what the causes of those problems are - if you haven't the time to take steps to debug the culprits. In the cases like yours, surprisingly, they are usually driver-related issues.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    All drivers are driver from MS installed with Windows 10 itself!!

In real, I wouldn't like to do a new clean installation and would end up with the same problem again and again! Loss of time!

The simple fact is, It's any 1. start of that machine at every day which sucks, and only a hard boot could solve that! Next start (after the hard boot) is ok! Just, I checked the Event Log several times: NO ANY MESSAGE! The computer with the 16299 builds, didn't have that problem. I also used an Image on another machine of that 17004 build, and got the same problem, even before and after the driver was updated by Windows, which was done yesterday, and at the start today, that machine also hung at Log On! On 2. start, all was ok!
    That simply tells me, it's a problem of the build! So, I'll wait for the next one and see what'll happen then!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    I haven't run into any big issues with this build so far.

8. RGadelha

RGadelha MDL Expert

Feb 14, 2010
    Neither I, it's all OK.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Fine if no one else has problems with that build!

Tested on now 3 computers, 2 HP's Desktop with Intel CPUs and 1 Custome with AMD CPU. On 2 machine (1 AMD and 1 Intel) used the same Image of a W10 17004 install, and on the other Intel (HP DC5800 Microtower) a clean install on a new HDD! The outcome on all 3 Machines: SAME, means 1. start of a day goes until the Log ON and no further, have to do a hard (cold) boot on each of them for to get Windows 10 Pro up and running normally. And, on all 3 computers, NO any message on the Event Log!!

3 different machines, all different hardware, therefore all different drivers, and ALL the same problem! And just to mention, even the used ISO for the clean install was created by a different computer, a laptop!

So, the question would/could be: WHAT triggers that problem?

Also, a simple fact is, that, after a successful start of the OS, the OS works well, except on the AMD where I use a lot of software etc. for testings, many of those Alphas and Betas! On the 2 Intel machine, both HP's, there isn't anything suspicious, every single app etc. are legal and finals, except (for sure) Windows 10, which is just Beta! And on both HP, that Windows 10 Build 17004 I installed on an extra HDD for testing only, no normal work and/or production, now back on normal HDD with the May Build! Will see what the Fall Update will be after the October 17.!

10. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    #91 MS_User, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    most be on your end...i have not seen that issue at all. maybe is a problem the way u convert the UUP to ISO u have corruption.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Hardly! Both, WU upgrade and the UUP ISO should be having the exact same problem, and that on different machines? That's impossible! And the only clue would be an error/failure etc. in the source and that's for both line/type the exact same, coming from MS!

I even was testing on a different Network with a different ISP, and that with 3 different machines, and have the same problem: First start, impossible to go further as the Log On Screen and a Hard Boot is needed to come out of that! Second boot goes normally!

12. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    incompatible drivers maybe. or a hardware limitation issue.

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If the problem would be on one computer only, that could be, but on three different computers, with different hardware system and specification!

14. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    That is strange I'm not having any of does problem here.

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It's only about those RS4 builds!! I've 2 Laptops with Pro 1703/64bit, 1 Laptop with Pro 1703/32bit and 3 Windows Tablets with 1703 Home 32bit, and none of them having that problem. all of them working just very well and I'm happy with them. Normally I run the latest Build only on one machine, and just because of those errors, I used to install on 2 others for testings, and have the exact same problem.
    As all of those machines have different hardware, and therefore different drivers too, it simply wouldn't be a driver and/or Hardware problem related, it should be just an OS Problem! And I also used 2 different way of installing, first with WU, on AMD Custom machine (my main for testings), second with an HDD Image on HD Pavilion 20 All in One and third from MS downloaded UUP files (converted to ISO) on HP DC5800 Microtower! And all install on its own HDD!

For the time being, I'll take the latest Builds with real caution!

The only thing which maybeeeeeeeeee could trigger such problem is that all those machines I use are older than 4-5 years. Maybe the new limits from MS about Hardware compatibility are the culprit?! As most of my customers using not the latest hardware, I'm forced to use the same for testings, if I like to do a good service to them. So, let see what the future (of MS) will bring?!

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You're installing a very early preview build, it will give some problems, as MSFT stated themselves.

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Any Windows 10 Insider Builds are Alphas and Beta's! That's nothing new!

I just gave some infos about a problem I have and gave details about it, for others who may have similar problems to know they're not alone. And all I talk about is what's done by myself on my own machines because that's only I could tell something about details. My experiences for sure differs from those of others, and I never claim to know better than others what they have done, or what they could have done wrong. I'm in no position to tell about the real problem other have if I didn't have First-Hand Infos and View, and I would never claim to know that facts better then them, that, I could only tell about my own experiences!

18. kosta20071

kosta20071 MDL Addicted

Jan 8, 2012
    RT @donasarkar: #WindowsInsiders: no new builds today. Have a fantastic weekend.

19. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014

go back to 15063 and see if it runs with out issues...if it does theirs your answer...u cant go any further with does machines. maybe if u lucky u can run 16299.15