[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 ServerRdsh (Enterprise for Virtual Desktops) SKU

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by whatever127, Apr 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Wololo7

Wololo7 MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2015
  2. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    This SKU

3. sonic9

sonic9 MDL Member

Aug 4, 2009
    leaving Rdsh sku uninstall feature AppServerClient then unlimited rds sessions is lost.

4. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

Please elaborate, leaving RDSH and going to what?

5. sonic9

sonic9 MDL Member

Aug 4, 2009
    #285 sonic9, Oct 17, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    Win10 rdsh to StandardACor , on reboot feature AppServerClient is uninstalled.
    Win11 rdsh to ServerAzureStackHCICor , feature AppServerClient acepted but on reboot it's cancelled.
    AppServerClient feature is mandatory to allow RDSH Role with more than 3 concurrents sessions for Win10, more than 2 concurrents sessions for Win11

6. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    For server/serveracor was pretty obvious it couldn't work. There you need the proper Remote desktop licensing server role to have the multiple users/multiple sessions allowed.

For HCI I was unsure, given it allows me to have two concurrent users, which is all I need personally.

BTW I compared the policies of RDSH v.s. HCI and, while HCI is better in almost any policy, (starting from the SMB connections not limited to 20) I'm afraid you are right on this specific one.

TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager-AllowAppServerMode is 0 on HCI, is 1 on RDSH

Seem also relevant the policy (possibly more relevant than the above)

TerminalServices-ADD-Licensing is 0 on HCI, is 1 on RDSH

All in all not a great loss, given one can workaround this easily using RDPWrap, while keeping the better HCI policies on everything else

7. sonic9

sonic9 MDL Member

Aug 4, 2009
    #287 sonic9, Oct 18, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
    1/2/3 concurrent users is the default allowed policy for the Administration of a Windows Server and RDSH as it's defined as Terminal Server.
    They all need activation of the RDS role to allow more than Administration multiples sessions,
    for Server after RDS Role activation , they need Licensing Server because there is a 120 days limit, reset can be done each 120 days too ...
    but for RDSH only need activation of feature AppServerClient to enable its RDS Role, Licensing Server isn't mandatory and seems there isn't a limit, even after 120 days.
    Some early RDSH versions displayed popup about 120 days but not seen during last year.

Licensing server role is one part and can be on another existing licensing server. The installation/activation of the RDS Role itself seems isn't straightforward when SKus hasn't the feature/role available.

yes of course, but TeamViewer is broken with rdpwrap and need updates each updates of termsrv.dll.
    Server/HCI SKU is nice pour unlimited users for File Server.

8. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    #288 acer-5100, Oct 18, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
    Sure, I meant this V.S. client.

2 concurrent users is what I need for my *personal* usage scenario. Then different users, different needs.

Sure, reset is pretty straightforward.

Once something is not forbidden by a kernel policy everything should be feasible. Not tested personally but I think that all you need is some registry/policies to point to the right licensing server.

But, I repeat is not something I tested, just a guess.

I have too little experience here. What about similar services like Supremo or Anydesk, They are affected as well?

9. sonic9

sonic9 MDL Member

Aug 4, 2009
    atm TeamViewer is alone to confuse about rdpwrap, it move input to local console (perhaps others rds sessions too, I havn't retried) even if it connect to one rds session.
    AnyDesk is ok.

the problem is the RDS Role enablement/activation/installation on unsupported sku, no problem with the licensing server.

10. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    "Unsupported" is a vague term by itself, and here is even less meaningful.

In windows there are services/features that are allowed or forbidden.

Say windows pro, or hypercore has the policy DCPromoExe-Enabled = 0, which means you can't promote that machine to a domain controller.

In such case if you SKUwitch to Server standard you still can't because the needed packages/binaries are missing.

In other cases say Hyper-V the binaries are mostly the same, they just switch behavior depending of the kernel policies.

What I mean is that the hard part is having the right kernel policies in place.
    But given I figured how to make the switch simple, everything else is just matter of few experiments to add/replace some missing services/binaries/packages and alike.

When I built my Server2020 I thought I had no hope to get the remote FX working (given the remoteFX in servers requires the VDI role, which is absent from 2004).

Well it turned out that the whole intimidating VDI role is a single dll and a single entry in registry.

In short, the ingredients are all here, we need just the will to cook...

11. sonic9

sonic9 MDL Member

Aug 4, 2009
    #291 sonic9, Jan 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    1904x.2486 (2023 january) build has skus certs updated.
    hwid seems be back again without watermark in settings app.
    tested on VM with a clean 19045.2486

edit: even previously hwid activated , the watermark as not in settings app go away after 2023 January update/build.

12. l33tissw00t

l33tissw00t MDL Addicted

Dec 6, 2012
    Are you referring to ServerRdsh?

Sorry in advance for the stupid question: Is there any "consumer" (i.e. non-server) OS that can handle concurrent RDP (without something like rdpwrap)?

13. sashaqwert

sashaqwert MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2020
    This edition (ServerRdsh) is based on Windows 10 Enterprise, although this SKU tells applications that it is a server. If you have drivers that cannot be installed on the Server, then first install the regular Enterprise and drivers, then change the product key.

This edition provides an unlimited number of simultaneous connections and, unlike RDP Wrapper, printer forwarding works well.

Windows can be activated via KMS or HWID.

14. sashaqwert

sashaqwert MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2020