[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10041

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jamescantello, Mar 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    Google Chrome UI is still squished and offset when maximised in build 10041, as it was in recently leaked build as well. Microsoft's way of getting back at Google for security disclosures, I suppose.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Yeah its been like that since Chrome version 1.0 lol

3. WildByDesign

Sep 8, 2013
    Part of scroll bar is chopped as well, at least when maximized. This happened on a previous Win10 build as well but Microsoft fixed it in a later build. Frustrating to see it again now. But it is a preview anyway.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    #104 SkOrPn, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    Hmm, I have no clue what you guys are talking about. Chrome looks exactly the same as it has always looked. Ever since it was released it still looks exactly the same. Maybe I should remove my chrome theme in order to see this squished version of it?

EDIT: OK, I just went back to the default theme for the first time in years, and well it still looks exactly like it always has. It must be my GPU and Display, because its identical in my Windows 7 and in 8.1.

5. harajukakei

harajukakei MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2015
    sorry if im asking, but how to use this esd file to upgrade ?

6. WildByDesign

Sep 8, 2013
    Unless it's driver-related along with this build and Chrome, that is possible. It cuts 2 pixels into favicons and 2 pixels into scroll bar. Web site titles in tabs are pretty much touching top of screen.

7. lolindirfab

lolindirfab MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    Guys guys guys xD

Here's the thing, if you're NOT using Windows 10. Google Chrome, maximized, looks like this with a white space above the tabs(ignore the red text):
    1.jpg

I'm looking at it right now, maximized, in Windows 8.1 and in an old Laptop with Windows 7.

Now, I was using 9926 until a couple of hours ago, and still, looked like the image above.

The problem with the white space above the tabs being non existent:
    2.jpg
    Is recent (at least for me) since I installed 10041.

I really hope this fixes itself via a small update (OCD much, I'm sorry), but if you see Chrome like the "wrong" image in Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, something is probably wrong with the installation.

This is the first time I'm having this issue with Chrome.

Thanks anyways for the feedback :) I'll try reinstalling Chrome.

8. skriim33

skriim33 MDL Novice

May 27, 2012

What he means is the half centimeter space above the tabs when your browser window isnt maximized , that disappears when you maximize the window.At the moment yeah the only problem is that when maximized the window seems to go a few pixels off screen.

9. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    #109 SkOrPn, Mar 19, 2015
    Yeah, its definately cutting pixels off, that is evident by playing around with themes that add a color to the top of tabs. I do NOT get the color. However, what is weird is I do not remember there ever being a time it did not do that to me. Its still the exact same Chrome here as long as I can remember it. I have ALWAYS had that very top two pixels missing, lol. Haha, and I didn't know it until now.

Oh,and by the way I have zero pixels cutoff from the scrollbar. In fact, I have one full extra space of pixel that has nothing to do with the scroll bar. In other words, my cursor does NOT fully go off the edge of the screen. So it works perfect for scrolling because there is zero chance of accidentally moving past it now. I like it like that.

10. aruak

aruak MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2013
    I fixed the Chrome bug by enabling Windows 8 compatibility mode in the executable.

11. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Anyone know if its possible to change the color of the taskbar to 100% black WITHOUT effecting the rest of the windows etc?

12. WildByDesign

Sep 8, 2013
    Is anyone able to change advanced networking settings, TCP/IP, DNS, etc.? I get an error "An unexpected error occurred". This is likely due to upgrading. I will be doing a clean install tomorrow, regardless. I'm not a big fan of upgrading, but wanted to test the process out for this build.

13. g43re

g43re MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2015
    gonna wait a little longer for a better build

14. SkOrPn

SkOrPn MDL Senior Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Yep, that fixes it. Jeez all this time I never noticed that before... So now we have one or two less pixels of actual Internet data to view :p

That is what the slow ring if for. You made you very first post to tell everyone your going to wait??? Really???

15. WildByDesign

Sep 8, 2013
    Confirmed, thank you for that.

16. aruak

aruak MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2013
    #116 aruak, Mar 19, 2015
    It's a bug. =)
    Open the feed back app and search for the error in network.

"Gungel I was looking for an answer and found the following answer to this error posted on the Windows 10 TP support forum:
    Microsoft Support Engineer
    Thank you for your interest in Windows 10 Technical preview. We are aware of this issue and Microsoft is currently investigating a fix. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you."

17. lolindirfab

lolindirfab MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    This is correct. Great!

BTW if anyone's wondering, Spotify 1.0.2.6 is having the same issue, Win 8 compatibility also works with it.

Thanks mate!

18. d1glow

d1glow MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    I don't see this Chrome bug it works pristine.

19. Bala8.1

Bala8.1 MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2013
    #119 Bala8.1, Mar 19, 2015
    With problematic apps, I've had good luck running said app as admin with UAC turned on.
    Otherwise; Win10 up to this release is not much more than lipstick on 8.1
    If MS can work-out the bugs in Cortana before RTM maybe...

Having an on-the-fly multi language translator on the desktop would be the "WOW" factor but I fear much like the Apple watch, Cortana is 3 to 5 years away from usefulness.

20. JakeStockton

JakeStockton MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2013
    Has anyone tried to upgrade the March build with Media Center yet?

I'm guessing it still skill not install/upgrade, but I'm wanting a definitive answer to allow my brain to rest (until the next build)