[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 vs 8.1, a programmer's perspective

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by x-project, Aug 7, 2015.

1. x-project

x-project MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2010
    Bjarne Stroustrup (the creator of C++) from his book "Programming -- Principles and Practice Using C++"

C++ the language that Windows, Visual Studio, Office were written in.

Most people compare the different versions of Windows based on appearance. I've heard many bad review of Windows 8 because it lacked the traditional start menu that everyone was used to (even though alternatives such as Start8 and Classic Shell are available). But Windows 8 did bring a lot of performance improvements of Windows 7, such as hybrid boot. Windows 8.1 also brought significant performance improvements over Windows 8. Currently I'm running Windows 10, because I always have to have the latest and greatest, but to tell you the truth I haven't seen any performance improvements, I haven't benchmarked it.

What's your opinion of Windows 10 vs 8.1?

2. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    yup, see my thread about my ram usage, color me unimpressed atm

3. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    Did Microsoft ever say there would be performance improvements in the inital release? From what I heard, key for the July 29th release was not best performance but stability. Performance didn't get better, also battery life, but both didn't get worse either, although a lot of new stuff has been added.

BTW what does this have to do with a programmer's perspective? The average programmer's perspective would lie on the APIs, how well you can write software for the specific platform, and not performance. Performance is not a key question unless you're doing CPU/GPU intensive stuff. For everything else, simple apps and stuff, performance will be good enough given how mature and tweaked the OS already is.

And, seriously, RAM usage is not a good performance indicator, as unused RAM is effectively wasted RAM, so saving there for no good reason doesn't make sense. Memory efficiency depends on proper layouting and clever algorithms to avoid cache misses. I mean, for example, what would you prefer? An algorithm A that uses 100 MB of RAM and takes 10 s to complete the task, or algorithm B doing the same job but allocating 500 MB of RAM and finishing in 2 s? It's not the amount of memory being used, it's how well it can be processed.

4. x-project

x-project MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2010
    @sevenacids

Actually to tell you the truth I have noticed that Windows has gotten more stable after every release.

5. Jaffar

Jaffar MDL Member

Jul 10, 2015
    You can call it Windows 8.5 or how Windows 8 should be

They didn't change anything significant related to performance except Directx12