[DISCUSSION] Windows 365 Cloud PC

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by Tito, Jul 14, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Jaffar

Jaffar MDL Member

Jul 10, 2015
    Untitled.png

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Wouldn't you have all the same problems that stadia and other services have in that it has extremely high internet requirements for constant video transfer on top of their absurd pricing? Don't get me wrong, I see the desire for some kind of subscription-based gaming service where you basically just have a low-end hardware device that connects to the internet with high compression h.265 or similar hardware that is very good at compressing hd streams. I just think the companies maybe over-estimate the internet service of the average person who this service would be catered toward. They aren't all using 100+mbps. On top of that, many people won't be able to have decent speeds at the time of day that most people actually want to use these things.

I mean sure maybe you could stream candy crush just fine, but not the latest and greatest video games, which is the whole point of the service.

3. Jaffar

Jaffar MDL Member

Jul 10, 2015
    They claim that the average Internet speed in The USA is 27mbps and they think it's fast enough to run Windows 365

4. Jaffar

Jaffar MDL Member

Jul 10, 2015
    Untitled.png

5. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    Everyone else the last 40+ years: YES! We've gotten to the point where we can all have a PC in our home and not a dumb terminal connected to one big actual mainframe computer!
    Microsoft: GOOD NEWS! We've invented dumb terminals and mainframes again!

6. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    I'm sure that, just like the covid 19 forced the humanity to rethink some long standing behaviors, the next big solar flare that will kill most communications (even just for a couple of days) will force the humanity to rethink that cloud craze.

Remember that joke about programmers?

"If Builders Built Buildings the Way Programmers Wrote Programs, Then the First Woodpecker That Came Along Would Destroy Civilization"

I think is not just for programmers but way more general.

7. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    Eurogamer's tech side Digital Foundry have tested all of these services over the years, on internet that far outstrips what 99% of consumers will have and without fail have run into lag or latency issues. Including very recently with PS Now and Xbox Whateveritscalledthesedaysstreaming. The problem is it just isn't a solvable problem. You cannot transmit and receive data in both directions without latency. Basic physics says so. So as far as gaming goes, a dedicated device of some sort is simply going to do better than streaming. And what is the audience? Casual players aren't going to care enough to pay a subscription, and gamers aren't going to want a compromised experience.

And by any sane logic, that'll go even more so for the basic OS of your computer.

8. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Gaming is a different matter, they want to kill "free" autonomous PCs, not walled Xboxes or Playstations. Controlling them remotely is enough

9. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    Our cloud overlords have spoken.

p.s.
    Link to ISO please !1 ;D

10. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    But you're still stuck in a position where latency or even slight internet issues are going to downgrade the entire user experience. You don't want your at-home day to day PC usage at the mercy of random internet outages or such. Even more so for a business where that could be disastrous.

Just have a computer. It makes more sense financially than renting performance. Done.

11. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    #31 acer-5100, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    In case is not clear enough I agree with you, just explaining what they want to do.

They are trying to destroy the concept of Personal Computer, they want your data AND the control over what you do with thenm

on the other hand for xbox and PS they they are fine leaving the data locally, given they can control what you do with them anyway (and you can't).

12. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    I understand that completely. They've wanted to do that since... well, since they first realised they could make their money from Xbox Live subscriptions. And that's where the concept connects. And they aren't actually happy to leave that local. They fully intended to do away with discs and allowing people to own such things with the Xbox One. It was only the public backlash that prevented that. And that's the same reason they're pushing Gamepass so hard as a thing - and quite prominently with W11 so far too. It's all very much connected. It's why virtually all of the games are also day one on PC too now.

13. GaGiLu

GaGiLu MDL Junior Member

May 4, 2017
    If they detect not legal activaciĆ³n, will you lost all your data or no have more access to it once they lock you out?

14. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    What activation? You buy service, you have no OS media (physical or download), you do not deal with activation, turn on the key & it starts

15. win_seven

win_seven MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Windows 365 or how to be happy with a Microsoft collar around your neck

16. PolidelticusFire

PolidelticusFire MDL Addicted

May 7, 2020
    Do these Cloud PC instances run their own special Windows builds?

(I ask because of the different default wallpaper)...

Or is it just the regular Windows 10 or 11 Enterprise with another desktop background?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    #39 itsmemario1, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Upon "installation" (1st setup) it asks if all your users will use "Win 10 Pro"...then you recieve a discount.

Is there a (1 month) trial ? Or will I get instantly charged ? Its not 100% obvious...

Ah, Microsoft canceld Trial Versions because "too many people" wanted it...

18. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...