Discussion: Windows 8.1 Update 2 w/ Start Menu or Not

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by tfosorcim, Jun 6, 2014.

?

Will Start Menu Return in 8.1 Update 2?

1. Yes

51.7%
  2. No

25.9%
  3. It's good to be without the traditional Start Menu

15.5%
  4. Let's bring the start menu in the next version of Windows XX

10.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tfosorcim

tfosorcim MDL Novice

May 21, 2014
    Have seen people talking about Windows 9 which is not even close but before that Windows 8.1 Update 2 is on its way so i thought i would be good to talk about it. Please don't merge this thread with Windows 8.1 Update Spring 2014 RTM.

Start Menu won't return to Windows 8.1 until 2015 - as per MJF

It now seems highly unlikely that the new, smaller Start Menu will come to Windows 8.1 this year, as well-informed sources say Microsoft has delayed its return until the launch of Windows 9 in 2015

What is your thoughts will the most anticipating Start Menu will return in 8.1 Update 2? or will it be delayed until 2015 along with Windows XX?

Thanks

2. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    How do you say Windows 8.1 Update 2 is on its way?

Did you see any official announcement from M$ ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tfosorcim

tfosorcim MDL Novice

May 21, 2014
    Followers of the Microsoft said so, if the message from MJF about the "start menu won't return until 2015" then anything can be true. :)

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    we need a boot to dos option too :eek:

5. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    You have it in Win+X menu (It's weird that this menu doesn't receive name).

6. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    (It's not official) Update 2 is targeted to RTM in July, MJF probably got a tip-off from OEM people that there's no start menu in the first OEM test builds and made up the rest of the story. :p

7. M0rriss0n

M0rriss0n MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
    ...most probably, lol. :D

Quote MJF: "That recent change in plans comes courtesy of a couple of my sources who've had good track records on Windows information."

9. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    don't see really the point of this poll mean no offense with my opinion :rolleyes:

I don't care about windows metro or startscreen just use thirt party software and yes same structure as windows 7 back :D

Greetz Base

10. tfosorcim

tfosorcim MDL Novice

May 21, 2014
    Everything is happening for a reason, psychologically - we users / customers are very important for Microsoft and they should hear what we say right? If you dream / believe to have the start menu in 8.1 update 2 you will get it. So i hope there is a good reason behind this poll.

11. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012

Yeah you are right but i'm with windows from scratch windows 3.1 to be exactly and in my opinion they rarely listening to the crowd but dreaming is always good :D

12. tfosorcim

tfosorcim MDL Novice

May 21, 2014
    We have nothing to loose so dream :aerobueke:

13. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm surprised, in this day and age, that people still click on everything.
    This must be the people who can't type, who are trying to feel self-important, who are complaining about the start menu.
    I barely used it in 7, and I don't use the start screen at all in 8.x.

I do think they need to make a different OS for people who like to drool and play with crayons and tablets.
    The problem is, they should not have tried to merge it with their main desktop os.

14. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    +1 @murphy that's exactly the point indeed

15. eric33

eric33 MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2012
    completely agree,

16. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    I heard a rumor: when MS finally decided to bring back the start menu, they make a mock-up and brag about it in Build2014 and target to release it in Update2.

After Update1 RTM, they tried to start work on this start menu, then suddenly realized nobody in Redmond knows(or remembers) how to use the start menu, let alone to make one.

So they made a worldwide note to other offices, unfortunately the result was the same - negative.

Finally they have no choice, had to talk with StarDock, after some negotiations, StarDock will send a small team over to Redmond to help and teach the MS guys........ so the start menu project has to be delayed ....... :rasta:

17. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    :rofl: nice little tale. Clever people would have asked Tihiy.

18. eydee

eydee Guest

The start menu has a place that collects your most recently used programs. This list gets updated every time you start a program. Tell me a way to replace this without 3rd party tools, and I won't miss the start menu again. You know, I may use these 3 programs this week, and other 3 the next week, and in a longer period of time list is built that always represents the current activities.

You can pin programs to a lot of places, but unless you're life is repetitive like a desert, you have to re-pin everything every now and then or keep almost everything pinned all the time. Don't tell me it's not a useful feature, it was introduced in XP and kept for a reason.

What you barely use is completely irrelevant, people should stop thinking they're a standard.

Not trying to be offensive here, but people have different tastes and find different things useful.

19. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    Clever people in Redmond? Give me a break. :laie:

20. zeeus

zeeus MDL Member

Jan 30, 2013
    What's a Start Menu ?? Thanks.