[DISCUSSION] Windows 8 Consumer Preview Build 8250

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Windows4live, Feb 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Fraggy

Fraggy MDL Addicted

Jun 13, 2011
    Nope, start button is kicked from windows source code ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    This os is -hit my win phone is better than this

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. langer hans

langer hans MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2008
    Olliw: This "Box" is still there. It just doesn't get highlighted at Mouseover. Just click there and it'll work.

Other question: Any clue on how to logout from WLM? I want to use Trillian as my Messenger, but I can't find "Logout" in Messages App...

4. sM4llziE

sM4llziE Guest

Is anybody having trouble logging into Xbox apps outside the US? I can't seem to login, I'm in the UK!

5. feelagroove

feelagroove MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2010
    Why no context menus in the Start Screen? So I right click and app and have to go down to the bar at the bottom to click unpin? That's certainly productive :)

6. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    The Start Button itself is gone but the lower left corner still triggers the popup. Shutting down is a bit more difficult but you bring up the Metro wall then move the cursor to the lower right corner to get the charms to come up, then the Power icon, then another click or two to get it to shutdown/restart/etc.

I actually found the DP easier to use and more fluid on the same hardware I just tried the CP on. Gave it 30 minutes, that was enough, back to 7.

There are just too many things that I can't quite get a grasp on with Windows 8. After using Windows since before v1.0 was even publicly known about (yes, I'm pretty damned old, been using computers since I built one in 1975, an Altair 8800), and I honestly just think Microsoft isn't going in the right direction with this release.

If they offer people an option to use Metro or disable it completely in some manner and get some of the older "Start Menu" functionality back by the time it's officially released, I'll look at it again at that time but as for now, I'm done with it.

7. Fraggy

Fraggy MDL Addicted

Jun 13, 2011
    #67 Fraggy, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    Enormous bug : after the update (Windows Update), I can't run any Metro app. Seems this bug is known of MS and I hope they will fix it.

8. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #68 Daz, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    I installed it and I've deleted it. It was a waste of bandwidth and time for me since Metro can't be disabled and I don't want my screen filled each time I need to open up another application. It just doesn't work well for how I use computers and it seems like I'm having to do double the amount of clicks to get to where I want to go, so it's a productivity killer too. And what really annoyed me is when the group policy settings gave me the option to "Force classic start menu" and Windows ignored the setting completely.

Something else that bothers me is how much information the OS takes from you. It want's to know your Windows Live ID, what applications you're running (Windows SmartScreen & Windows Active Protection Service), what URL's you visit so that it can improve it's application store and even you're current location infromation. So what happens when you get infected on a Windows 8 system? The attacker would have access to your Windows Live ID, your emails and your shared application information. Now think about all of them applications that you bought that are probably tied to your Windows Live ID. You might as well kiss them all goodbye since the attacker now owns your account o_O It's a goldmine for "hackers".

I'm sure on touch enabled devices Windows 8 is pretty amazing, but as a desktop user that does more than browse the web or check my emails it's awful.

9. feelagroove

feelagroove MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2010
    I don't even need them to disable Metro completely, I need them to come up with something that is actually logical to use. This just isn't logical, and it's extremely illogical on multiple monitors. I like the Metro look. I can't stand the lack of cohesiveness between the Metro UI and the desktop world. Nothing is natural about this so far, but I have an open mind.

Can I arrange the icons on the start screen to my liking? It seems like I can create a new column but it has to be two icons wide...weird. Also horizontal scrolling on a multiple monitor setup with a mouse is terrible even if your mouse has a side to side scroller. This is a tablet OS, it's that simple as far as I can see. I was thinking about getting a touchscreen monitor to add to my setup to run Metro but if it's not going to be a fluid natural experience on the desktop I don't know why I'd bother.

Edited to say my post was a reply to Jean not Daz, but I agree completely with Daz. I honestly thought I was missing something with the Developer Preview or doing something wrong with this one. I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

10. FireRx

FireRx MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Does anyone know how to set the ahci manually in registry like we did with Windows 7 so I won't have to reinstall this again?:eek:

11. natostanco

natostanco MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2011
    if u have it activated from bios at the time you install windows it automatically detects ahci and install that.

Instead I have a problem, My audio card razer barracuda ac-1 is being recognized as multimedia audio controller and does not install the drivers...wtf? it was working fine on developer preview...

12. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008

This is all I got.

RAID to AHCI

To resolve this issue yourself, enable the AHCI driver in the registry
    before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive.
    To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
    2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
    4. Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
    5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK. (3 when in RAID)
    7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

13. onepic

onepic MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2011
    #73 onepic, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
    They are stupid or what ? Think Develoeper Preview is better than this ---- customer preview. I want to use it on a PC not o a Tablet with toyuch Screen and i NEED Start Buton back.

14. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Completely agree with you man,
    Just for tablets and slates, surfing the web, reading mails and looking at pictures
    Metro is really crap :puke:
    Downloaded both 32 and 64, installing just for fun!

Than back to Build 7989, Daz, care to loose some time to activate that build?
    Please :worthy::worthy:

Enjoy Lego Build, suits ages from 4 to 12 years :D
    PS don't forget to full with full credentials.....:confused:

15. Cego

Cego MDL Junior Member

Nov 24, 2009
    simple: Windows 8 has a "local account" option :eek:

16. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    You can't purchase applications under the local account option and it defeats the purpose of the live tiles that give you information. Also while you or I may know better and use a local account millions of people won't do that.

17. onepic

onepic MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2011
    I have revert back to Developer Preview on the second HDD i have because i can't remove Metro Interface. The problem for me is my Developer Preview copy it expires on 12 March :( Is any way to make it still working after that date ?

18. lashtal

lashtal MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    Installed, played around a bit, went to "turn windows features on or off" and installed hyperv gui and platform. Windows asked to reboot, rebooted, and froze on the loading screen (with the fish). Further reboots consistently froze as soon as the fish appeared. Auto system repair did not help.
    Anyone willing to try reproduce this? :rolleyes: Or hyperv isn't meant to be enabled?

19. feelagroove

feelagroove MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2010
    The all apps screen could really use some better organization. Maybe it's because I'm looking at it on a big monitor but having just those blue headings for the categories that almost appear to have a smaller font than the actual entries doesn't do much for finding what you're looking for. I want to like this so badly.

20. thavmym

thavmym MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Is there any way known to bring back start menu?