[DISCUSSION] Windows Repair Toolbox

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by windsman, Feb 19, 2015.

1. stasio

stasio MDL Expert

May 3, 2007
  2. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
    #42 AlexCa, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Hi all,

I've just released version 1.5.0.5:

- Emailing the unattended fix log is now much easier (there's no longer the need to configure a Gmail account).

Thanks!

3. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
    [FONT=&quot]Hi all, I've just released version 1.7.0.0:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- The portable version of Windows Repair Toolbox is now distributed as a .zip file. It runs directly from an external media (e.g., a pendrive) and the downloads will also run and be stored in the external media.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- Branding: you can now change the program icon and title bar text.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- Updated the 7-Zip components to version 16.04.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- In the "Final Tests" tab, the "Drivers" button will now also give the chance to disable Windows automatic drivers updates (Windows 7 and higher).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- In the "Malware Removal" tab, replaced Hitman Pro with Zemana Antimalware portable.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- Added a "refresh" button in the custom tools tab.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- Windows Repair Toolbox used to always require a fresh download regarding any of the malware removal tools, ignoring any previously downloaded file. That no longer happens, and the behavior is now the same as in the other tools (give the option to download a new copy, or run the previously downloaded file).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- Several minor improvements and fixes.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any questions, suggestions or bug reports, please let me know.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you![/FONT]

4. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    In the old days of XP, there was a Microsoft tool called “Fixit” that was highly user friendly and effective at repairing a wide range of problems, without requiring user expertise. No clearing of malware, but most users have their AVs to do that. Its current version seems to be a lot limited in what it can do.

It would be nice if the present tool can do what Fixit used to do.

5. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    I have portable Microsoft FixIt on a flash drive I use, and a copy on my PC. It indeed is a handy tool.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
  7. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
    [FONT=&quot]Hi all, [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I've just updated Windows Repair Toolbox to version 1.8.0.1:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- Fixed an error (“For security reasons DTD is prohibited…”) that would occur at WRT startup under special circumstances (e.g., when WRT starts, the computer is connected to an open wifi that requires authentication in a webpage before allowing access to the internet, and that authentication has still not been made). [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- Removed some outdated instructions from the “Custom Tools” tab (the new portable version no longer requires you to import your custom.xml file at each time you want to use it)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- Updated the link to WRT homepage in the “About” tab;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- Some other minor improvements.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you![/FONT]

8. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
    [FONT=&quot]Hi, I've updated Windows Repair Toolbox to version 1.8.0.2:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- Replaced Snappy Driver Installer with DriversCloud.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Now the portable version will only display the initial licence window the first time it runs.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you.[/FONT]

9. Kevin Rosas

Kevin Rosas MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    thank for post!!

10. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @AlexCA thanks for share your very good tool congrats :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. NightShark

NightShark MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2013
    thx great tool :clap:

12. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
  13. Jari

Jari MDL Senior Member

Jan 18, 2013
    BOOT: Bios / UEFI is also missing from 1.8.0.5 - it was there on ver. 1.8.0.4

14. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Hi @Jari, thank you for your feedback!

The extra information about the system drive is are provided by smartmontools (the same tool that powers GSmartControl). Probably that model is still not fully supported by the program (at least by the stable version, that's the one WRT is using). I'll keep up integrating the new stable versions, as they become available, in WRT.

Regarding the boot environment information (BIOS/UEFI), it's still present 1.8.0.5. But it won't be displayed in a system that where the setupact.log file is missing (this will happen for instance in a computer where Ccleaner was executed with the advanced options checked, and that was the case of the computer I used for the screenshots).

15. Jari

Jari MDL Senior Member

Jan 18, 2013
    About boot mode, I just cleaned up system files by disk cleanup, so maybe that did it.

16. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
    From what i've tested, Windows built-in disk cleanup does not delete that file (not even if executed as admin and with all checkboxes checked).

17. Jari

Jari MDL Senior Member

Jan 18, 2013
    #60 Jari, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    OK, but I have setupact.log file in Windows folder, created 25th March 2017. It is an install date of Windows 15063 (15063.11 now).