[DISCUSSION] Windows Server 2012 RC

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by 100, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCS

NCS MDL Member

Jun 24, 2010
  2. meShell

meShell MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2009
    Thank you for your informations. I tried to get Crysis 1 running on Server (in VMware) but had no luck, tried with and without patch 1.2. Maybe I need to try it again with a real installation. But as member "100" found out, it is possible to use server feature on Windows 8, so this would be the other way round.

3. NCS

NCS MDL Member

Jun 24, 2010
    it is built in..go to add features and install it

4. NCS

NCS MDL Member

Jun 24, 2010
    `did it help

5. chinchin85

chinchin85 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    Nice one

Thanx for the info.Was looking out for a thread related to Server 2012 as there are not many who use this OS.I have used Windows Server 2008 R2 as a desktop OS for the past 2+ years and frankly telling, it was the best os i had used from the MS stable.Fast, Rock solid stability and Virus free (without using an antivirus).So my hopes for Server 2012 were also same.
    Server OSes have little in terms of GUI fancy and are very stable and so are way better than client OSes.

Will try this OS and will post my experience.....Have Windows 8 installed and its impressively speedy compared to any previous Windows version.Hope Server 2012 is better than this...possibly much better......

6. farra1981

farra1981 MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2012
    hi I have installed from the link at the biggining. how do I make it genuine so that annoying label in the bottom right of my screen disipears

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  8. farra1981

farra1981 MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2012

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Welcome buddy. I know both 8 & Server 2012 share same kernel, but I was confused as the watermark may be different for two products.

:)

10. windowshomeserver2011geek

Jun 17, 2012
    I think a touch GUI is not so useful for business PCs and Servers

11. chinchin85

chinchin85 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    Correctly said, but u dont need the Metro GUI for most of the Server Tasks.....Just login...click on the Desktop tile and thats it....no more newness....

12. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Are you sure?
    'cause Sinofsky thinks so.:biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. RaymondTH

RaymondTH MDL Member

Apr 23, 2012
    No Threat Management Gateway support is my biggest gripe, Whoever decided to abandon one of the best all in one security solutions out there should be shot :bangin:

Fingers crossed someone figures out a way to get it working or microsoft comes to their sences and releases TMG 2012 with ipv6 support

14. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #55 SuperBubble, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
    Speaking of which, has anyone given the IPv6 stack in the "8" codebase a real workout yet? Have Microsoft been extending/improving/debugging their IPv6 support in their server features? Are there any improvements at all over Server 2008 [R2] in these areas?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
  16. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #58 SuperBubble, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
    The keyboard - a Metro start menu's best friend?

As some of you might be aware, I've been in the process of rebuilding one of my servers recently. In the end I failed miserably - the slightly crazy structure of the boot partition resulted in my highly-customised, Sysprepped image of Windows Server 2008 R1 not ever finishing OOBE. It kept on coming up with various error messages that, when I dug through the setup logs, all basically meant "Can't find the BCD store". :mad:

Then it dawned on me - "Hey Mel, you have a blank server here! Abuse it"!.. Well, sort-of blank - there's a RAID1 in there, but it needs a driver that I'm yet to load, and until I do, the data on it is as safe as sausages.

Bonus edit: And the driver won't load - it's for Windows Server 2003 AMD64, and apparently isn't signed to Longhorn's satisfaction. :mad:

So I loaded on the WS12 RC - I've run all other 8 variations on virtual machines so far. Where am I going with this? Well, it's a server, running headless (without keyboard or monitor), though I obviously hooked both up for the setup procedure.

The last thing I expected was... how fast and easy the Metro start menu is to operate with a keyboard. Not quite as neat as the search feature built into Vista/7, but you don't need it with the Metro start menu; unless you have tons of icons pinned, they're all there right in front of you. And scrolling has always seemed more intuitive to me with the keyboard.

Hit Start key, use arrow keys, press Space bar Enter. If you want to do something fancy with the icon, hit Menu key, then use arrow keys again, press Space Enter. Your fingers never leave the bottom row of the keyboard.

It never gets more complicated than that.

Am I the strange one in noticing this?

17. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Hmph, another thread I killed. :(

18. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Everyone sing along "...SuperBubble killed the Server forum thread...SuperBubble killed the Server forum thread..."