[DISCUSSION] Windows Server Core Insider Preview Build 16237

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by SAM-R, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Lotusisrael

Lotusisrael MDL Junior Member

Jun 28, 2013
  2. RobrPatty

RobrPatty MDL Expert

Jul 23, 2009
    (Windows Server 2016)

Long-term Servicing Channel

Nano Server No

Server Core Yes

Server with Desktop Experience Yes

3. Micro

Micro MDL Member

Apr 26, 2009
    The MS release only states how Updates will be done in the future, with Server Core and Nano Core being the "experimental" (pre-release code) versions and Server 2016 w/GUI being the "normal Stable" release incorporating the proven stable "experimental" (pre-release code) updates as Cumulative Updates but it will not receive the new features and functionality added to Server Core and Nano Server in their semi-annual updates.
    Those features and functionality WILL be added to the next major release of Server, right now probably Server2020.

This simply brings Server 2016 closer in line with the established model of updating currently used for Windows 10. It says nothing about future versions of Windows Server, beyond the fact that Server 2016 w/GUI will be supported for 10-16 years, depending on your level of software assurance.
    You're letting your imagination read things into this. Or do you have a direct quote that contradicts this? :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. RobrPatty

RobrPatty MDL Expert

Jul 23, 2009
    My question is at one point didn't MS say there would be a Server 2016 RS3? Since they skipped RS2.

5. Micro

Micro MDL Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. RobrPatty

RobrPatty MDL Expert

Jul 23, 2009
    Thanks for the info Micro. Have been waiting for GUI version in RS3 but I guess its not a go. Important to know.

7. Micro

Micro MDL Member

Apr 26, 2009
    No offense meant but, I get the impression that English is a second language for you, is that correct?

Please link to the MS statement indicating that RDS is deprecated and scheduled for removal, I have not seen that.
    Please link to the contradictory statement you indicate.

Just because MS does not spell out all the features of the next release of Windows Server, when they haven't fully finished developing the current version, does not mean that there will or will not be a GUI version.
    Again, you are letting your imagination run wild, there have been no statements issued one way or another, as far as I am aware.
    If you have a link to such, post it.

With the next major release of Server scheduled for 2020, why is this such an issue for you now.
    If you have a legal copy of Server 2016, then you have support for it with it's promised GUI for the next 8 years minimum.
    By that time you might want to switch to a different version of Server, a GUI may have been released for one of the other versions, or you may want to switch to the consumer version of Windows.
    Who knows? I certainly don't know what OS I will be using in 8 years or care at this point in time.