DISM errors with 0x8007001e

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Loki1973, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Loki1973

Loki1973 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2009
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ Loki1973, just a thought are you adding x64 drivers and building wim file on a x86 system ?

4. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    #4 HSChronic, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
    it seems everyone is having issues with video drivers and DISM. This is probably because they are beta drivers or due to a signing issue. If you are using MDT just load the drivers up in the driver store in MDT and MDT will inject them when it goes through the litetouch wizard.

Your best bet is to post this on the official windows 7 forums or report a bug on the connect site for the AIK.

Also you said the WIM is recognized by WDS as an x86 image? Which image are you trying to deploy through WDS? If you are using MDT then the only thing WDS needs is your boot images, not your install images. Like I said you should not need to integrate video drivers into your lite touch images, only mass storage device drivers if the storage device is not recognized. Your boot images in WDS should identify as x86 or x64, if they are not showing architecture then the images are probably not made right.

5. Loki1973

Loki1973 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2009
    #6 Loki1973, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
    (OP)
    Anyone thanks so far for the help!

Are you saying the video-drivers should be included in the boot image through MDT? Then how does it get into the actual image that I'm deploying to my machines? I'm not familiar with MDT. Until now I've simply used a large number of scripts to make it work, and until 7077 it :)

I do think the Connect website is pretty darn "messy" and I do not really know what to report.

I ripped the boot.wim from my DVD and added the mass-storage drivers and NIC to it using peimg (later I started using DISM /Add-Driver, with the newer WAIK).

Then I ripped the install.wim, exported the image I want and injected the necessary drivers (video, mass, touchpad, webcam and stuff). And again, until 7077 this worked like a charm.

The modified install.wim is the actual image being deployed to my machines. Of course it using the boot.wim to boot through PXE.

In 7077 I managed to mount the image using imagex.exe and inject drivers using the peimg.exe but when trying to add it to WDS it claims the architecture is x86 instead of x64. When using DISM to mount the WIM file and inject the drivers this gives me the error above.

@urie: Of course my WAIK machine is also x64.

@luke: I'm pretty sure my FTDI USB<->Serial converter is not in the standard list, and it gives me the same error. I can add it manually after installation without problems though.

6. Loki1973

Loki1973 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2009
    DISM log file

This is the error I get when trying to add the FTDI USB <> Serial converter that installed just fine until 7077.

And this is the log file (C:\Windows\Logs\DISM.log):

I have no clue why it is trying to use folder d:\win7rc, and I do think that is causing the problem. Could it be that some assemblies are missing?

7. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Here is a quick and dirty introduction to MDT. Like I said this is quick and dirty and aimed toward getting you up and running pretty quickly.

1. You need WDS to start with. So you can use 2k3, or 2k8 or 2k8r2. Configure WDS but do not do anything other than that.

2. Download the AIK that you need. NOTE the AIK for 7 DOES NOT support Vista SP1 or earlier, which is not a problem because we just need to deploy 7, and MDT creates our boot images which are compatible with the 7 AIK.

3. Download the MDT 2010 beta and install it.

4. In MDT open up your deployment workbench and create a distribution share that will hold your images, apps, out-of-box drivers, and task sequences.

5. Import your OS into MDT by going to the deployment workbench and selecting your distribution share and then select the OS tab and click new, and follow the wizard.

6. Import your drivers into MDT by going to the deployment workbench and selecting your distribution share and then select the out-of-box drivers tab and select new, and point the wizard to your folder with drivers.

7. Import any apps that you want MDT to install

8. Create a task sequence that will be used to deploy your OS. Then edit it to your liking.

9. Create a Deployment point, by selecting the deployment points tab and following the wizard. Once your deployment point is made click on properties and uncheck video drivers, mass storage device drivers (unless setup doesn't see your drives), and system class drivers. You only want NIC drivers in your lite touch images. You can then select a background for your images, as well as language integration. After that is done you can exit back to the deployment workbench and right click on your deployment point and click update. This will generate the WIMs and ISOs for your litetouch deployment.

10. Go back to WDS and in the boot menu import new boot images, you want to import the WIMs from distributionsharedir\boot\architecture\litetouch_archtype.wim This will let you boot to your lite touch deployment and from there you select the task sequences and options for your deployment.

The task sequence will do everything for you from installing apps, to updating windows to installing PnP drivers, it will also install any offline updates you may have (.msu files for Vista and 7, or .cab files for XP). On Server installs it will even let you add role services and features.

That is the quick and dirty the MS documentation is a little more helpful and there are a good amount of blogs out there dealing with MDT.

8. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    You need to make sure you go into the AIK directory and install the WIM Filter drivers (right click on wimfilter.inf), it is erroring out because it can't mount the WIM to a directory to read/write. Also make sure you are using PE Tools Command Prompt elevated if you have UAC enabled.

9. Loki1973

Loki1973 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2009
    On my "customization" machine UAC is switched off.
    I cannot seem to find wimfilter.inf... Where is it exactly?

Just to be sure, the WIM mounts just fine. It's injecting the driver that's causing the problem. And as said, not all drivers, just some.

Thanks again so far!

10. Loki1973

Loki1973 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2009
    I tried the nVidia drivers again, and I get a somewhat different error from dism.exe:

So, my FTDI drivers resulted in an error 5, now this one results in an error 30.
    It cannot read from the specified device, which is, again, d:\win7rc I suspect.