Dism++ | New Windows Utility

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by Mouri_Naruto, Feb 14, 2015.

1. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Thank you for posting @Thomas Dubreuil, dism++ is chock full of tweaks :cool:

2. Mouri_Naruto

Mouri_Naruto MDL Developer

Jul 10, 2014
    Note: Dism++'s official website was online again in several days ago.

3. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    A question about backup.

If I backup the system as an ESD file, how am I suppose to restore it in case I can't get Windows to boot ? Like in the situations of malware attack or corrupt system files. I won't be able to run Dism++ to restore if I can't get Windows to boot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. EXO56

EXO56 MDL Member

Mar 22, 2013
    #305 EXO56, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    If you can't get your system to boot, then you have no other choice but to use a bootable medias.
    Copy Dism++ on any bootable media and reboot.
    You will be then able to run this program to restore your backup.

Dism++ doesn't have special dependencies and will run as portable in winpe exactly as on live systems.
    Another good point for this piece of software!

5. Mouri_Naruto

Jul 10, 2014
    You need a Windows PE to run Dism++ and apply the ESD file and uses Dism++ to fix the boot. (Dism++ supports MBR and UEFI boot repair.)

But I like to use DISM to apply the image, bootsect to fix boot sector if I am using the MBR and bcdboot to generate the BCD and copy boot files, lol.

6. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    #308 ceo54, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    @EX056 @Mouri_Naruto Thanks for the reply.

Is there a way to run all the disk clean options to a mounted image ? I'm reading the documentation but it appears to be in a foreign language.

Thanks for all the help. You guys are awesome.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. LittlePro

LittlePro MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2017
    @Mouri_Naruto : Sir,
    Your utility is helping me a lot but I am facing two issues that I would like to bring in your kind notice.

1. A little problem with DISM++ recent versions. It does not give option to make Activation Backup. A Senior suggested to create an empty folder with name ActiveBackup in the extraction folder & it seems to work fine.

2. I was using this utility to update a fresh Win 7 SP 1 x64 Installation. It lists everything but does not select all the Security, Recommended & Critical updates itself. So, you have to decide over them yourself one by one & also take care that you select / Include their prerequisites as well! All this makes the process tiring.

Thanks & Regards. ...

8. Mouri_Naruto

Jul 10, 2014
    1. It's a feature because that feature don't update anymore.
    2. Dism++ won't select some update defaultly because these updates will install something annoying things like telemetry, Windows 10 Update Popup or some updates which causes some compatibility issues.

Kenji Mouri

9. LittlePro

LittlePro MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Thanks for the quick response.
    I am not talking about RED ENTRIES! There are a lot of other updates which are listed & listed as normal but not automatically selected. They include recommended & important updates!

Thanks & Regards. ...

10. Mouri_Naruto

Jul 10, 2014
    I will talk to mingkuang about that. Thanks.

Kenji Mouri

11. alchemist_81

alchemist_81 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2015
    Is there a universal restore feature for an image system backed up with dism ++ ?

If there is no such feature, can it be added?

12. Mouri_Naruto

Jul 10, 2014
    What's the universal restore? I can't understand that concept.

13. alchemist_81

alchemist_81 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2015

For example with Acronis, a system backup can be restored to different hardware.

Can this feature also exist for Dism++?

14. Mouri_Naruto

Jul 10, 2014
    The behavior of Dism++ Image Backup and Restore is same as DISM and ImageX.

So you can restore your image to different hardware lile DISM and ImageX.

15. alchemist_81

alchemist_81 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2015
    #317 alchemist_81, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Wowww perfect, thanks...

Well, is it possible to start the sysprep process through the Dism++ program when restoring a captured wim file without the sysprep oobe process?

16. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Hello,
    I really like DISM++. I'm having an issue with adding Fonts to the Windows\FONTS\ directory of the install.wim file, When I go to install Windows 10, the Fonts I added to the install.wim are not installed. Can anyone assist me with this minor issue?
    Thank You

17. Mouri_Naruto

Jul 10, 2014