dism resetbase questions

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by TecMan, Oct 20, 2013.

1. TecMan

TecMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi Friends:

I have my PC with Windows\explorer.exe reported 9600.16408…it’s Windows 8.1 RTM with Media Center…and it’s working fine…

Mr Jinje quote…

So Microsoft published the new iso for the convenience factor and no one 'needs' it if they have the RTM-0 + run the dism resetbase command after installing the first four updates.

Questions:

1.Do I need to run dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase?
    2.Is it necessary?
    3.Do you recommend me to run the dism resetbase command?

Thanks

TecMan

2. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    1) No, you don't need to, but you can if you want. It will likely save a few hundred MB of wasted space judging by the size of the GA rollup. The downside is that you will not be able to uninstall the GA rollup afterwords.

2) No it is not 'necessary' to run the command. Only the most obsessive compulsive IT types will do it on their home computers. Most people could care less about a few hundred MB's on a 2TB drive.

3) No, because I don't want the blame if something goes wrong. But it's probably OK either way.

3. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    If you would have read the help you already had your answer. Of course it's not needed. The command flushes the winsxs folder. You save (little) space on your ssd/hdd. thats it.