Display Scrambled during POST

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by srijit92, Oct 5, 2012.

1. srijit92

srijit92 MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2012
    Hi,

Recently I came across a strange problem with my System. When I'm booting up the system, the display is scrambled and the system freezes and I cannot even enter the BIOS setup. My RAM is a DDR 512 MB Ram.
    I tried the following,
    1. Swapped the RAM slots, yet the problem persisted
    2. Removed the RAM and heard the consecutive beep sound heard suring RAM Error.

What may be the cause of the problem?
    Attached the display with this post -
    screen.jpg

2. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    seems to be video ram, try changing video card.

3. srijit92

srijit92 MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2012
    I don't have any graphic card installed. It uses onboard VGA port. :unsure:

4. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    then check LCD and try to run memtest. if LCD is ok and memtest fails even on another machine problem - RAM, if memtest ok, then mobo.

5. srijit92

srijit92 MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2012
    LCD is ok, checked. How can I run memtest when nothing works incl. keyboard. When I press the ram hard or move it slightly, the pattern of display changed as shown in the picture

6. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    maybe there's some dust in RAM slot?

nothing works..? seems like mobo problem then..

7. srijit92

srijit92 MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2012
    All dust cleaned... The RAM may also be defective what do u think?

8. ELiTEFX

ELiTEFX MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2012
    #8 ELiTEFX, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
    I think you can forget about ram problems and ask yourself what's the real issue here. The rig boots but the picture is skewed and the system freezes. You have onboard video. Common sense says it's a chipset problem. Fix: Replace the motherboard and move on............:worthy:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. srijit92

srijit92 MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2012
    Well, the problem is solved. It caused due to a defective RAM. Replaced RAM and everything works fine now. Cheers !
    :D :D

10. ELiTEFX

ELiTEFX MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2012
    #10 ELiTEFX, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
    Glad to hear you found the culprit. I was misled by your post. I believed you had been using the PC for a while and that it ran fine. I thought the problem was "recent" which led me to believe the mobo had gone bad. There are no moving/vulnerable parts in a stick of Ram hence, on a properly maintained PC, if a Ram Dimm worked fine at one time it will continue to work properly into eternity under optimal conditions.
    There is no doubt in my mind that something has occurred recently regarding your PC that was the catalyst for this issue. Could be the ram was not locked in the slot properly or a power surge from a faulty/degrading PSU, or improper bios settings etc. Some unposted adverse event definitely happened to kill a good stick of ram, that much I do know........anyhoo, best of luck...:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...