Divx in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MatthewH12, Jan 14, 2009.

1. MatthewH12

MatthewH12 MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2009
    #1 MatthewH12, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
    After fixing the equalizer (Thanks Guys!) I've found a new issue, I can play XVID movies, but not all Divx ones (Even after installing Divx7). What I have found out is DX50 / Divx 6.22 play fine, but div3/DivX 3 Low-Motion do not. WMP12 just sits with a black screen and won't play it. It worked in Vista, so idk why Windows 7 broke it.

Ideas?

Thanks!

2. 1clicc

1clicc MDL Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Try Vista Codec.

3. MatthewH12

MatthewH12 MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2009
    I don't really like codec packs, as they cause more harm then good, and installing Divx 7 would have done the same thing.

4. MatthewH12

MatthewH12 MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2009
    I was able to fix it!

YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, MAKE SURE TO EXPORT THE KEY AND SAVE THE REG FILE TO A SAFE PLACE IN CASE YOU NEED TO RESTORE IT!!

Here's what you need to do.
    Open RegEdit
    Search for Mpeg4s Decoder MFT

It should take you to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{5686a0d9-fe39-409f-9dff-3fdbc849f9f5}

Right click {5686a0d9-fe39-409f-9dff-3fdbc849f9f5} and goto permissions, click advanced.

Click ownership tab, click your account, and check apply to sub folders and contents. Then goto the permissions tab, choose Administrators and choose Full Control, and OK out.

Then highlight {5686a0d9-fe39-409f-9dff-3fdbc849f9f5} and hit delete, and confirm.

Now download Divx and install it.

What we've done is made it so WMP12 doesn't know about mp4sdecd.dll for decoding most MPEG4 streams, so it will fall back on the Divx 7 decoder.

--Matt

5. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    won't that break other things? I would recommend downloading VLC player, it plays everything without the need of codecs (they are built into the program), it is small and you can download a version with or without an installer.

6. MattNCarolina

MattNCarolina MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2009
    Fixing Divx 3 low motion videos

Thanks Matt,

That worked, I already had divx downloaded and installed, once I took permission and then exported & deleted that key, went back to my movie,
    WMP 12 then found a codec and played the movie!

BTW to the poster who said install vista codec, I already had those installed, and tried reinstalling when I 1st detected this problem and of course it didn't work!

Thanks Again.
    Matt n North Carolina

7. alttptalloser

alttptalloser MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2009
    I have tried the solution listed here (removing reg keys), and all that happens is the media center flickers a message saying I need a codec, and then plays the sound over a black screen. In other words, it had no effect.

I also tried another solution I saw posted. After restoring those reg keys, I renamed MP4SDECD.DLL in both c:\windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64. I had to restart (the dll's were cached somewhere)... and no effect.

I have installed both DivX and K-Lite, and I can't get DIV3 to work in Windows 7. How can I force it to try a 3rd party codec, rather than defaulting to playing the sound with no video?

8. djs

djs MDL Novice

May 10, 2007
    Get the Vista Codec pack from Shark007
    He has got an alpha pack for Win 7 which I'm running perfectly.

I've used his Codecs since Vist came out with NO problems at all

9. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Some people (myself included) do not like codec packs because it installs a whole bunch of stuff you do not need.

My solution on this:

Use WMP for most stuff, if it doesn't play then use VLC. No fuss no mess. No need to install codecs that may or may not work, just fire up VLC choose the file and it plays. Free, open source, and tiny just how I like it.

10. Cornmeister

Cornmeister MDL Member

Dec 8, 2008
    just installed the CCCP codec pack :)
    easy :p

11. alttptalloser

alttptalloser MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2009
    Finally figured it out!

Personally, I think its great that VLC is so simple, but it does not solve my need. I use MCE and ONLY MCE. There is not one other app that lets me use my remote, or that works as nicely.

So, I have now tried all the registry fixes, and none of them helped. I installed L-Lite, CCCP, DivX, and Shark007's VCP fir Win7, None of these let me play DIV3 files (ie 17 of my 20 seasons of the Simpsons.

But now I know the answer! I am running Win7 x64, which apparently has two versions of WMP12, 32-bit and 64-bit. So, I downloaded Shark007's x64 tools for Win7, and it worked!! 3 weeks of missing Homer and that gang solved! Woot!!!:):D:D