DMI Boot CD for Award-AMI-Intel BIOS (Add SLP1.0 w/o modding)

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by 911medic, Jul 14, 2009.

1. akramh

akramh MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2009
    hello, my motherboard is intel D850EMV2, will this work with it?

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    It should..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Expert

Apr 11, 2008
    Over in the slic thread, all I see for my board is this, though it's old enough that it would be 2.0 instead of 2.1. Acidrock doesn't seem to be around anymore, so I'm not sure how to go about modding one for 2.1.

D865GBF - revision: P25
    slic = Asus, Fzeven, tested by acidrock

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Expert

Apr 11, 2008
    I removed the link, but it was N/A to the question. I'm trying to figure out what he did, since we share the same motherboard. I'm thinking it was something along the lines of what's in this thread but am not sure.

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    He added a slic and an slp..The MOD was for the SLIC..The SLP was incidental..

7. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Expert

Apr 11, 2008
    OK, so should I pursue finding whatever tool is able to do that (unfortunately the normal tools do not work for Intel) or is your "tattooing" method sufficient? Like everyone else around here, all I'm trying to do is get the BIOS to the point where I'm able to use today's W7 activation method (sans loader).

8. MikeyHypocrisy

MikeyHypocrisy MDL Junior Member

May 28, 2009
    Is there anyway I can tell after using this tool, that it worked?

9. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Boot again and check the dmi stuff..I think it is option 1

10. ktjebkes

ktjebkes MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    New to this thread on the HP-DMI

I have always been able to forego this DMI by doing a clean install of the OS by using standard Microsoft disks and the COA number on the case and retieving the drivers, partitioning the drive and creating a Ghost Image on the newly created drive for later system restoration. I have now a customer who would like his HP a1510n system back to factory original so he may do a restore by himself. His hard drive went bad. He gave me the factory disks that he ordered and told me to fix it. Is there anywhere I can go to see a step by step procedure for updating the DMI on this machine so I may use his disks to get this back to factory original for him. I've been in the business for 12 yrs now and have never had to do this but I suppose it is time I learn this. Thanks in advance to all
    Kevin Tjebkes
    TJ Digital

11. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I think unless he changed the motherboard, he is fine. The Hewlett-packard string will be there.

Just run the oembios.exe.

It is in the vlk to oembios tools of mine...It will tell you in a heartbeat if you have the strings or not.

12. ktjebkes

ktjebkes MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    I have the HP strings, but from what I can tell the strings are not new enough to recognize the new recovery disks HP sent my customer. I did speak with a HP tech, he had told me the DMI needs to be updated to this new recovery set. Take it to Best Buy or places like that and they can do this. I am now at a loss of what to do to get the BIOS recognizing this new recovery set. Do I just need to update the BIOS? Sorry for asking such stupid questions, but this is my 1st time working with DMI.

13. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    What recovery set??

Why did you order anything from HP??

In the recovery set,find and upload the OEMBIOS files to me.

You can add all strings you need to the dmi. The bios does not need to recognize anything, it is the other way around. The OS looks for the strings in memory..

Explain to me what you have ordered, what oembios files are present in the media, upload copies to me if possible, and tell me what you have done thus far. The bios is probably not the problem if the computer came with xp on it.

The problem is corporate......:D:D.....They want your money some more....

Can you run the oembios.exe tool to see what it shows???

Wouldn't it just be easier to MAKE him a restore disk?? He can still maybe use the software..That's an MCE machine, isn't it???

14. ktjebkes

ktjebkes MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    1-This is the HP recovery set the customer ordered from HP. I did double check and it was ordered correctly.
    2-The customer ordered these.
    3-I will try to get those to you in the morning when I get back to the shop (doing a booth at the county fair for both businesses).
    4-I will make screen shots for you from the OEMBIOS and send them out.
    5-As I said before the customers hard drive crashed hard and he hadn't a recovery set, I usually do as you say and make my own recovery for the customers when they go bad, but this customer wanted to get everthing back to factory original. Thus my dilema. I'll get things out to you tomorrow. Thanks

15. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    The problem is HP and bleeding everyone for the last bit. I take it Best Buy is a good customer of theirs..:D

The restore media does not have any of the programs, it should just have the XP MCE stuff. Since the board was not changed, thus the bios is not changed, then the media should work...period. There is no standing protocol to make the board fit the restore media, this is asinine..

Get me the info and we will fix it. You can adjust the SLP to whatever you want.

16. rockjim

rockjim MDL Novice

May 15, 2009
    Guidance

I have an ASUS P5e mb with the original 3/08 bios from AMI. It is in a box that I put together myself and is running a VLK version of XP. I would like to change it into an OEM version, but I know of no way of doing that on a custom without modding the bios.
    Will the HP tattoo tool do this for me so that I can then run a repair with an HP install disk?

17. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Yes. The only way to do this is mod the bios. Use the cd. it should work.

If you hit 4 to exit the cd, type dmi at the prompt, and the ami part comes up..for more advanced options.

18. rockjim

rockjim MDL Novice

May 15, 2009
    Thanks again 911medic. I first gave it a try on another ASUS mb that I had installed in an older box and it worked just fine. I then did a fresh install with an HP restore disk on that box and it worked perfectly.

So, I guess I'm working up to my main box :cool:, which I use ever day, so I'm a little more cautious about it. Actually, I'm comfortable with the tattoo technique now but had a question about the repair process once the tattoo is done. Since the XP install on my main box has been around since last Sept. and I have installed a number of programs, will a repair change the registry in a way that will disrupt the installation of those programs? I realize this is a very general question and one can't know for sure but I have never done a repair routine, so I don't know what it affects other than some of the installed OS files. I assume it looks to see if the os files that exist on the box are the same as the ones on the install and then replaces (or asks to replace?) them if they are different?

19. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    After the dmi disk is run, there is no change to the OS. No reg changes, etc.

You can then run the oembios changer tool with the oembios files from the HP disk you have and it will be activated. The repair install generally refreshes the system files and registry. You can easily have programs that do not work. Any Adobe programs will be deactivated, if they work at all.

20. hoodlikegaza

hoodlikegaza MDL Junior Member

Oct 10, 2007
    attempting to boot this disk, it says "dude where's the windows cd" press any key to continue, then it just exits and restarts the computer.... What the hell is this...