DMI Tool Error: DMI_BAD_PARAMETER

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mogwopjr, Feb 15, 2013.

1. mogwopjr

mogwopjr MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2013
    It's the same old story, boy meets laptop. Laptop motherboard dies. Motherboard was replaced and the new one is missing DMI info...

So I've read and searched and run into a wall. I downloaded DMI Fit 1.19 and attempted to update the S/N, Notebook Model, PCID. Each one of those menu options returns an error

"ERROR: DMI_BAD_PARAMETER" when I try to update the Serial Number or Notebook Model using this tool.
    When I try to update the PCID I get "the PCID version cannot be applied to target platform."

The laptop is an HP DV5-2043cl notebook. The motherboard was replaced with the exact same p/n as the old motherboard. Any hints or tricks as to get this motherboard up and working? I've tried the current bios rev and the previous version. I have also tried nbdmifit-1.11 just to see if its a version issue with the laptop. I'm certainly confused as to whats going on since this is the first time I have run into this proprietary stuff from HP before. Hell I'd be happy to live with the error if Windows 7 would just keep working. It is currently showing as NOT Genuine.

I am at my wits end on this one. I've spent a week looking for and trying possible solutions to this issue and I can't get anything to work. At this point I'm ready to take the old motherboard and new motherboard and swap the bios chips, but I'm not certain that will resolve the issue either. I have the SMD rework capability so that is easy to accomplish but would it work?... Any hints?

Thanks for the time to look at this,

mogwopjr

2. mogwopjr

mogwopjr MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2013
    I guess another question I have, is the data for the s/n, notebook model, uuid, sku, etc... stored in the BIOS eeprom? Or is it located on another place on the motherboard? If the information is contained in the BIOS chip only, then my suspicion is that de-soldering the old chip and placing it on the new motherboard would work.... hmmmm

mogwopjr