Do After-market Motherboards Contain SLIC table?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by akf, Mar 8, 2011.

1. akf

akf MDL Senior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    #1 akf, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
    If you purchase any computer from OEM manufacturer like Dell, HP, Acer and so on, it comes pre-installed with OEM version of Windows 7. Having said that, the motherboard of such computers contain OEM information (SLIC 2.1), which is used to legally activate Windows.

What about the after-market motherboards, purchased separately from computer stores, like the ones from ASUS or MSI? Do such motherboard contain SLIC table, originally included by the manufacturer of the motherboard (not added by end users afterward)? Assuming that I want to install such motherboard in my computer and refuse to use any BIOS mod or loader, I can only use the retail version of Windows 7. Is this correct?

In other words, if I want to legally use the OEM version of Windows 7, again without any BIOS mod or loader, I am forced to use only OEM PC. Any custom-made computer is out of question, right?

Yes, I am fully aware that there is virtually no difference in functionality between the OEM version and Retail version, other than the activation method. The problem is that the retail version requires internet for activation upon completion of Windows install. Since I am using RT 7 Lite to slim down Windows, I would need to perform clean install every few weeks or so, for trial and error. As I do not have internet access in my hometown, only the OEM version can be used, so that it can be activated without internet access.

Thank you for the information given.

2. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    You cant "legally" use the OEM DVD if you don't get it with your hardware, your "legal" choice is retail or volume licensing. The SLIC can be added afterwords if the bios supports it (it will) . There is no internet activation needed if you just put Daz loader in the setup files.

3. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    Now that was a weird statement, cause you're supposed to use phone as activation option if you don't have internet access for some reason in case of Retail/MAK/OEM-NONSLP keys... and technically, if you want to act literally legally, you shouldn't use slp key even if you purchased oem computer with preinstalled Windows and want to re-install it for some reason from any other source than supplied recovery media - you should use OEM-COA key from the sticker and activate it by internet or phone....

4. akf

akf MDL Senior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    frwil

Thanks for reminding me about phone activation.

For your information, I have been using OEM computers with preinstalled Windows. Since OEM computers may be more expensive than custom-made computers, I want to explore the option of using such custom-made computers.

I can understand from what you guys are saying that neither custom-made computers nor after-market motherboards will contain SLIC table. That means that I will lose the ability to use OEM version of Windows 7.

I finally understand it now. For now onwards, I will stick to OEM computers.

Thanks again, guys for your information. :)

5. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Pro tip. On a OEM machine. If you decide to do a new build. You can use the sticker that came with the OEM. You basically get a free copy of windows when buying a new oem machine that is unused. Hence the sticker. It will require automated phone activation though. Once you get the OS installed, drivers and windows updates. Make a backup for you have a nice fresh clean image.

6. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I dont think you fully understand about motherboards and SLIC table .
    no motherboards have SLIC when they are first made .
    OEM manufacturers buy motherboards in bulk to their specification and add the slic table ,though in most cases its done for them by the motherboard makers .
    the SLIC is simply a licience signiture (in effect) the OS will see the slic and know its installed on a machine of a specific make (dell,hp,etc.) your OS will then be happy to accept a cert and key for that specific make /type.
    At the end of the day 99% of motherboards have a bios that is capable of containing a SLIC table ,here on MDL are various tools for achieving just that . you simply buy your motherboard (ask around for reccomendations is a good idea) then biuld your PC . then you can download your bios from the motherboard manufacturers website and add the slic yourself ,using the avalable tools ,or simply have the links for your bios location and ask someone here to do it for you ,your then free to update . when you then have your OS up and running its a simple case of adding the cert and key to match the Slic and your away .

7. Likvid

Likvid MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    But Daz loader is not that great as it has corrupted my bootsect several times so the SLIC and cert and valid key is the best method today.

8. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I don't think we know that the percentage is still that high. Most people that are building a new computer today are going to be using an Intel P67 or H67 chipset which has uefi bios, and as I understand it there are issues in inserting a SLIC table in these new motherboards whether they are MSI, Biostar, Asus, etc.

Hope I am wrong cause I have one sitting here waiting to put together when I get time off work.

9. weinter

weinter MDL Senior Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Doesn't the OA2Intel work?

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Its only for bios, not for UEFI ;)

11. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    The loader will never "corrupt" your boot sector. The only thing it may have problems with is other boot managers, but thats more of a user problem as I've added the option to preserve the current boot code which fixes such an issue.

If you mean that your system won't boot then it's not the boot sector, it's that your system doesn't accept the default memory placements so you need to disable type 4 memory or use the legacy memory setting instead :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...