Do I really need Intel Rapid Storage software!?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by emet, Jul 20, 2019.

1. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    #21 windsman, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Your Intel SSD can handle SATA/AHCI on your M.2 slot, so you can install only the AHCI driver manually (via device manager), If you want to install software+driver, you can but the installation create some services that run at each reboot.

You may uninstall or disable Intel Driver Upgrade Assistant (useless).

windsman.

2. emet

emet MDL Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. emet

emet MDL Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Sorry folks, just one more question to be sure that everything is fine with the new driver.
    I have noticed that it says that I am using 6-th generation of Intel processor, but I have 7-th installed.
    Is this fine?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Yes that's fine. Keyword is "Family".

5. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Unless it is a grammatical error on intel's part(or just plain laziness),it should show 7th generation family because family here corresponds to a specific generation.

6. emet

emet MDL Member

Jul 16, 2015
  7. DukiSync

DukiSync MDL Junior Member

May 12, 2010
    Windows wont install wrong driver from device manager, so you safe to try...

8. emet

emet MDL Member

Jul 16, 2015
  9. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    If it was the wrong AHCI drivers, during the manual update, windows device manager refuse to install AHCI, unless if you select "Have Disk" during the update process, the result is BSOD and it's a mess for boot normally again. the problem if you want to use a earlier AHCI drivers (i mean older date), you must select "Have Disk".
    @whitestar_999 , yes Intel sometimes is plain laziness. And never maintain support for firmware related.

Forgot to mention this : If you want to gain the full performance capabilities of a newest AHCI drivers (like @emet laptop), you must upgrade the firmware too, otherwise it's not working at 100%.

@emet, you're fine with this driver, but for the perfect performance you can upgrade you're AHCI firmware, because for sure if you never upgrade your Bios, the AHCI Firmware is minus than V17, unless if your laptop's manufacturer provide a new bios with updated firmware. Same story for Intel management engine drivers for example.

windsman.

10. DukiSync

May 12, 2010
    YES!

11. emet

emet MDL Member

Jul 16, 2015
    @windsman @DukiSync thank's a lot to you both. You are very kind to helping me. Thanks! :bye3:

edit: the laptop is using that software from the manufacturer, but the driver is a little bit old? Am I free to update it manually?

12. emet

emet MDL Member

Jul 16, 2015
  13. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    You need to extract the firmware file from inside of the downloaded zip file(windows can do this).Maybe the file inside has different name.

14. DukiSync

May 12, 2010
    Wait, you dont have to download anything, Magician will check, download and install newest firmware!

15. emet

emet MDL Member

Jul 16, 2015
  16. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    You should touch nothing for your firmware, until SSD magician prompt for a new one, if you read the changelog of this new firmware, it doesn't adress some bugfixes and malfunction just :

840 series.png

windsman.

17. emet

emet MDL Member

Jul 16, 2015
    @windsman I thought it was something newer.
    Okay, so I am free to update only the driver.