Do I really need to backup Windows 8 activation?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mydigitallifeforum, Nov 10, 2012.

1. mydigitallifeforum

mydigitallifeforum MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Hi,

I bought a legit Windows 8 key from Microsoft. My Windows is of course activated without any problem. Do I still need to backup my Windows activation? I mean, if something goes wrong with my hard drive, and it gets re-formatted, I still can use the key I bought from Microsoft to re-activate my Windows, right?

2. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    ya but we are all really still unsure about the wmc keys. so if you used the free key to upgrade. better safe then sorry right? if not no worries. i had driver issues. ans used my legit key like 6 times when i reformatted.

3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    If you are legit, you should have zero problems re-activating, even if online activation stops working you can simply call, and when the phone activation stops to work a microsoft employee will unlock more activations for you.
    But if you backup your activation and restore it you never use up these online activations in the first place, it's really just a matter of how often you re-activate, if you do it 2-4 times until your next upgrade you should have no problems, but it's better be safe than sorry, so use a backup when you can.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...